Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you talk in "baby talk" to your dog(s) ?

My son was making fun of me earlier, just wondering if I am
alone. I don't do it all the time, but apparently I do it a lot! :coolwink::binky:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Haha I talk to my dogs all the time.. I try to refrain from doing it in front of my roommates though, they already think I'm crazy for spending so much time/money/etc. on my dogs.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not so much baby talk but I do talk to them all the time. I also sing to them. Taz is very sound oriented. She will look me in the eyes the whole time I talk and she also watches Tv. Charlie tends to get overstimulated when you talk to him too much so I am more lowkey with him.

·
Banned
420 Posts
I don't talk to them in a 'baby talk' way BUT I do ' reply for them'

EG : I'd say to Shadow aren't you handsome and I would reply in his voice !! ;)
(Shadow has a posh/head boy at school kinda voice :coolwink: )

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't baby talk ~ but I do sing (frequently) personalized songs & I do notice she loves me to pipe up with a little Floyd or Queen, just impromptu ~ her little tail just wags like crazy and the butt shake confirms she definitely has good taste in music. At night when she is on the bed and we belt a little something out she will sing along with when the mood strikes.

I talk to her all the time, she comes to work me so it's just her and me in my office and I converse with her when she is awake.

I talk and sing to ours cats, fish and snails as well :hippy2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ooooh yes.....talk to my Kids all the time! Currently owned by four cats and they seem to love it......or are they just humouring me :coolwink:

My boy Thomas I will cuddle and sing to and talk in a silly baby voice which drives my hubby Neil nuts LOL Something like ''Ooooh who's Mummy's iddy-biddy ThomThom....Mummy's Little Man'' etc etc *blush* :D Thomas loves it and purrs and chortles away to me in return :love8: He was dumped at PARRT a couple of years ago and nobody apart from Linda who runs the place and us have made much fuss of him it seems so when you DO chat away to him he just adores the attention.
Misty is Neil's precious angel and he makes no bones about how much he loves her :cool: We will often quietly talk to her whilst rubbing her head and cheeks (not her back as she has arthritis) and if she's in a good mood that day we will be rewarded with a loud purr :D
Lily is much like Thomas - loves cuddles and I'll often lie on the floor next to her and tell her how gorgeous she is and she'll purr and head-butt me :D
Nina is a work-in-progress: very wary of people so we always speak to her quietly as we pass and let her sniff our hands before we gently stroke her head and slowly, very slowly, she is starting to relax. We talk to her in a very quiet voice and tell her how beautiful she is :cool:

I once read something along the lines of.......97% of owners freely admit to talking to their dogs.....the other 3% were lying ;) :D

I've always talked to my dogs and asked their opinions of things etc.....they might not reply but it helps me sort things out.......plus...I LIKE IT! They're part of my family, a very important part, and why shouldn't we include them in our conversations :) I feel sorry for the folk who have dogs yet don't chat to them :( Surely they cannot have a full relationship and bond with their dogs? :confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I feel sorry for the folk who have dogs yet don't chat to them :( Surely they cannot have a full relationship and bond with their dogs? :confused:
I would be freaked out if I went to a house that had animals and they weren't talked to. I can't even imagine how "sterile" that would be. Yukka Doo

And my cats love love love the singing. It doesn't matter where they are if I pipe up they come running. My boys thought I was nuts (which I am and will not argue with them about that) but I told them the cats loved my singing and they did not believe me. We actually tested it out and they couldn't believe it. They tried everything to keep the cats with them too because ours are love bugs and like certain things, touched certain ways and normally they wont move if they are getting their "treatment" well as soon as the singing began they hot trotted it to find me. It was fun!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I do not do baby talk but I do talk to Jaxx all the time and he even answers back by barking occasionally. I think all dogs need talked to so that they feel loved.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't baby talk ~ but I do sing (frequently) personalized songs & I do notice she loves me to pipe up with a little Floyd or Queen, just impromptu ~ her little tail just wags like crazy and the butt shake confirms she definitely has good taste in music. At night when she is on the bed and we belt a little something out she will sing along with when the mood strikes.

I talk to her all the time, she comes to work me so it's just her and me in my office and I converse with her when she is awake.

I talk and sing to ours cats, fish and snails as well :hippy2:

Dogs who love Freddie Mercury ?!??! I'm in love :love10:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yup, I do. Regular talk, baby talk, and plain ol' babbling!!:D
In fact the other day I really embaressed myslef as I was waiting at the kerb on a walk and one of the dogs tried to cross the road before I said.. I pulled them back and in a loud voice said' "ah, ah! Mummy said no!":oops:
sadly the ground didnt swallow me up and I still catch myself doing it now!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I always make a really weird squeaky voice when speaking to them too
so you are definitely not alone there!
I think it gets my chis more excited and I love it when they start wagging their tails
For some reason I also make my voice a bit softer when answering the phone, not intentionally, when I realize I am doing it I try to stop hehe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm probably an even worse offender--I talk to them, and they "talk" back to me: "Come on mom, feed us our breakfast already."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Guilty! My daughter makes fun of me all the time, but I don't care- he gets so excited and quivers and wiggles with happiness!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts