Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Today Sissy came home. When we saw her today after a 3 day break, she started to bark at me because it was a new face. We were able to go there play with her a little and then go home which we wanted. The women at the shelter said "it will take days to get used to you" however Sissy is a whole different dog here then she was at the shelter.

At the shelter she wouldn't let me pet her, or hold her w/o her leash on. But in the car she let me hold her. She would not sit still though in the car so i had a tight leash on.

When we got home, we had a few accidents in the hall way. When she plays she runs and then goes to the bathroom where ever she stops. But we cleaned it. She won't use the wee wee pad so i'm not sure whats up with that. But she allows me pet her, hold her. She even does a few tricks "up" when we want her to come on the bed. "down" when we want her to lay down. She even rolls onto her side and back to let me pet her stomach.

She just loves walks too. The people at the shelter hardly walked her. Her fur/hair curls up all over the place and she had two clumps of hair that you couldn't comb out so we had to cut them. :(. Also i took he harness off which the shelter had on her for 3 mths w/o ever taking it off!! She growled at me when I did but she was glad to have it off. I have a new one that is easy to take on and off. :).

She is like my princess!! Princess Sissy. (Photos coming Soon)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
chihuahua's normally dont do very well at shelters, and are almost always different dogs when taken away from that environment.
As for peeing in the house, there are many threads on here telling you how to house train, the same principles go for adult dogs as they do for puppies. Number one rule is dont let them have free run of your house!
Cant wait to see pics!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sounds like she will need a lot of patience and positive reinforcement. This is pretty common with shelter dogs as well. It will take some time but I am sure with patience and training she will do well with you :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sissy is getting used to going out side now.
Amazingly when she needs out she goes by the gate. The only time she did mess was when she was running around (which is her play) and just gets excited. So we try not to get her to run around as much.

Pictures are up on forums under chihuahua pictures. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I saw the pics, she is beautiful! I am so happy she has you now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts