Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I get an email from a dog meetup saying that a few people dropped out at the last minute so Sissy and I went. This was her first dog meetup.

The meetup was held at a pet store down in S. NJ and there were a lot of other dogs msotly roudy and playing and stuff.

Poor sissy was petrified. :(. She was hiding behind me most of the time and i held her for 20-30 minutes. She snapped at other dogs who over did their welcome sniffing her. Awww.

But near the end she was getting better since i got up and put her on the floor and walked to the other side of the room to see what she would do. she walked around and sniffed but that's about it. She was mostly looking for me when i went to the other side was going to cross the room when two pups starting playing roudyly (is that a word?).

The people were really nice and understanding. I have had sissy since December (she is 3 years old [will be 4 April 30,2011]). I am thinking about going again next month on the 8th. I already RSVPED because yesterdays was filled till the last minute.

Tomorrow is another dog meetup here in N.NJ but outside on leashes (i hope). We'll see.

I still have a headache from yesterday night. :(

Any helpful tips on how to socialize her better?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco was the very same way at first when we started going to meetups. He would snarl and growl and stick to us like glue. He has since gotten very used to them and has loads of fun. I say you are doing just right, let her hang with you, and then walk away again. Pretty soon she will get to know the other dogs and will enjoy her new "sometimes" pack. I would try the outdoor meetup as well. She might take to the outdoors easier.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
She should warm up :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
For family get togethers, the kids and I have our very own "meet up".

It's a bizarre bunch - a year old Golden doodle, a tiny miniature poodle, a toy poodle, a Cairn terrier, my Chi, and my Chi / Cairn mix. We just move everything that can get broken and turn them loose!

Pedro has socialization issues - he's the Chi / Cairn mix. He hates the Cairn and the Golden doodle, and no matter what we do, we can't change that. He does get along really well with the poodles!

Hopefully, if Sissy doesn't have any issues from her past, she will get over it, if you keep at it! Good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are going to the next meetup in April. :)
I'm also thinking about creating my own meetup just for chi's and dogs under 15 pounds, since she doesn't do well with bigger dogs.

i do see when she meets new dogs she sniffs and then growls and shows teeth. :(.
I just hope that, that personality dies down in her and she will be an out going dog when she gets over her fears.

Unfortunately sissy is afraid of non-animated objects like remote controls, garbage cans, etc.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I took Lola and Penny when they was puppys, to a puppy party at our local pet store... worst thing i ever done, both girls was so scared..
It wasnt very well organised as they had puppy dobermans/rotties/labs and boxers playing roughly around the likes of chi pups! my girls both hated it and left shaking!
I think it would have been better if there was smaller pups that they could play nicley with with out getting scared!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
There is a chi meet-up here that I try to get Rico to. He isn't very keen on it either. Doesn't like all of that sniffing and what not--ha !! I stand and put him down so he can't climb into my lap. He isn't mean or nasty, just doesn't seem to love it.

We went to a dog park with someone from the meet-up and it was a divided park. Big and little...

The rotty at the dog sitters he likes more than the wee dogs. Rico also seems to like this pit bull we met on a walk but he sweet terrrier across the road he growls at if she tries to say hello. ugh !!

i keep trying. On the other hand any sort of wee child can come up and poke at him and he is a sweet lovey to them. Can't have everything.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am taking to Marley to her first all chihuahua meet...I have taken her to this indoor dog park several times for play sessions and the dogs are under 25lbs but she gets pretty freaked when they start playing and jumping around...in general she is very good with other dogs as we have socialized her around other big dogs...im excited for the all chihuahua meet to see all the different shapes and sizes and hopefully Marley will find some friends to play with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts