Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the store and other places and wasn't gone for more then 30 minutes. (my parents were home) and i come home and find sissy limping. Then a few minutes later she is walking on 3 legs. We don't know what exactly happened - we believe she jumped off my bed which is a little higher then normal beds.

she doesn't whimper when we touch it but i hate seeing her hurt. I also can't believe that it happened today on christmas eve when no vets are opened. :(
Why does it have to happen when nobody is open? I wish it didn't have to happen at all..

Right now she is under my bed trembling. :( My poor baby.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As long as you can touch it, its possible that she just sprained it, in which case a vet could do very little for you. I would carefully touch all over her paw, toes and up her leg to make sure that she's not in a great deal of pain, if she's fine, then turn her paw over and carefully examine the pad of her foot, make sure she has nothing stuck in there. if she's fine on both accounts, chances are that she's just babying it and she will be fine as soon as she gets brave enough to put weight on it again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she has a loose knee cap in the OTHER leg but that's not the leg that is bothering her.
the pain is mostly in the joints in her upper leg. since we can move her foot.
we got her out from under the cold bed and into her own bed with a fleese throw..

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Deep breath. You being upset is making her scared. If she is not screaming in pain, you can wait. Mine end up limping every once and a while and only the old man has LP. They get to running and playing and somtimes some has a limp. A sprain is most likely as a break she will be letting you know. Just let her get over it and of course keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i am sure she'll be fine if she is not screaming in pain and i agree that in the meantime try to keep calm in her presence, that will reassure her for now.
i always stress out when i see my Klein trying to jump off the sofa or my bed... somehow he manages without any injuries 'touch wood' but still trying to find a way for him NOT to do it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does she have her dew claws? Gracie hung hers on a blanket once and limped like that for days. See if you can find out where the tender spot is. Warm compresses may help her.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She seems to be doing a bit better today. :)
she is actually walking on it but still puts it up some.
she is in her bed and won't come out. :( my poor baby.

I didn't really freak out...i can't any more because of PTSD i don't have too many emotions but i was upset like angry (inside) that it had to happen on christmas eve. angry that it had to happen at all. :(. My poor baby has to stay home for christmas because i don't want her getting scared of the other dogs on christmas.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this morning i was massaging Sissy's leg in hopes to get it a little better for her when i hear a quick snap snap snap. :( It made me worry but I did not get too upset.

So i took her to the vet where i saw a new vet there since the regular one was in surgery. I really like this vet compared to the other guy. Anyway,
Sissy was scared (as always) and got too scared that she pooed on the towel they placed for her and on the floor as well.

I had sissy walk around to show the vet her leg and she ended up in the corner. :( (my poor baby). After weighing her (10lbs-baby has to lose 2 lbs), the result of the injury was in deed her knee cap which I thought it was in the beginning but was hoping it was one of those sport injuries that she could walk off.

Anyway, the vet said it was out of socket and would not go back in, which was why she was in pain. She gave us inflamatory pills and pain relievers for her for a week. If they do not help, we might have to do surgery.. :(. Poor sissy.

We do not know what happened with her on Xmas eve since we weren't paying too much attention to her and I was not home. We figure that she jumped off a bed and landed wrong. :(. but hopefully with the pills she will start to feel better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
oh.. Hugs to you and Sissy.. I hope the meds help and she starts to feel better and can avoid surgery.. :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.