Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I'm not sure exactly what's stressing me out. whether it's Sissy not listening or that i've been stuck in this damn house for 3-4 days on end.

Like every day sissy and i go out first thing in the morning to avoid another accident. So we get ready to go out, and Sissy's starts to run around wants to play while i am only wanting to get her outside before she pees in the house. Tried everything, a treat, her leash. Then i yelled... oy. I hate yelling at her.It wasn't like a yell yell but I was like "sissy, no!" it totally ripped my heart because her previous owner was a real grouch to her (probably smacked her around... which i swear i WILL NEVER DO).

But the scariest thing was, my mom was like "Perhaps we should bring her back" (as in to the pound). That's not the scary part. The scary part was that i sort of agreed at this point. :sad7:.

The thing is, that today i realized i am not "attached" to her as i was with my old dog Bandit (RIP 09/12/2009). Mom said it's because we only had her a month...

What do you think? I really don't want to bring her back but at the same time i am not attached to her....(yet?)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Are you crate training her? Is she just out? Perhaps holding her/carrying her outside so she doesn't get caught up in the excitement will help. I know with Ziva if I don't take her right out of the crate and put her in the potty box she will pee on the floor, sometimes it is a lot to ask for these little ones to hold it during times of excitement.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I sound so harsh but I can't see what the issue with her is? I my just be exhausted today

But I literally get up still in my pjs and put the dogs straight outside if you are training her to go outside carry her out first thing so te first thing she feels on her feet is grass!!

Mine are very playful in the morning too remember she's missed you whilst she's sleeping!

Also try not to compare her to your old dog she is not him will never be him can't replace him and has her own personality you nee to get to know you both need to learn to trust each other getting stressed with her will make her avoid you more try not to use her name if you're telling her off as it puts a negative association with it.

You can't expect an instant bond I have two dogs my oldest I adore she is my heart dog I would die if something happened to her I hate being without her my youngest I got end of august thought I would never feel the same way but I do took a while for me to learn her personality she bugs me at time because she's an obnoxious puppy but oh I love her so so much she makes me so happy

·
Registered
285 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have any training advice since we use pads but sure others will give you some great advice on the subject. I have 3 chi's and while I don't think I have a favorite, Bailey is my oldest and she holds a special place in my heart. I love my other two to death and can not imagine my life without any of them but it took awhile for me to have a bond with them. I had an instant bond with Bailey but it took monthes with the other two. Give it time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I didn't even think Skylar liked me in the beginning! Mia was my girl from the get go but Skylar preferred spending time with my husband which was very new and different to me. Skylar just didn't seem as loving as Mia. It just took a couple months for us to really connect. Now I know she's just as loving--she just shows it in a way I wasn't used to seeing.
I will say that each of my girls was 8 weeks old when I got them. For me personally, I think it's easier and quicker to "bond" with a baby than an older dog. I'm certainly not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that in my mind, I could see it maybe taking longer. I'm positive it will be worth your time to make the investment though. :) Best of luck!

Sometimes life is about expectations. Personally, I don't expect my Chis to ever be 100% housetrained. I've had Bizkit for over 8 years and I just don't see it happening. I accepted that a long time ago so I'm not disappointed or stressed when he goes in the house (hell, the girls do it too!). I know there are those whose babies are housetrained to a fault--that will never be us and I'm OK with that. You gotta pick your battles sometimes.

My girls are carried from the bed to the door in the mornings. Their feet never touch the floor until they've been outside.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can relate to what you're saying, I adopted my Fifi from a family who didn't want her anymore (fed up with her running around too much and peeing on their floors) a couple of months ago. She's 2 years old, my first Chi, and I'm still learning about them. I am still coming to terms with the fact that she will never be totally "accident-free" - but, I also have a retired racing Greyhound who's lived with me for 6 years, and he's not accident-free either. I'd MUCH rather clean up after a Chi than a Greyhound! :D At least they are both crate-trained!

Fifi was also abused (yelled at and possibly hit, also her claws were badly neglected) by the family she came from, I suspect because of the accidents. So, if she pees or poops on the floor I just quietly clean it up, even though my bf (clean-freak) has a hissy if he finds a mess, since we have pale beige carpeting. At first I was pretty bummed out about the accidents too, and it took me a little while to get attached to Fifi as well. She is totally the opposite of the Greyhound when it comes to personality and behaviour, so it has taken me some getting used to, to get to know her ways, but now I like her a LOT! :hello1:

Like others here I have learned to take Fifi right out first thing in the morning - her little feet don't touch the floor until she's been outside first! No playtime until she has peed and pooped! I've also learned to take her out BEFORE meals, otherwise she poops immediately after or even while she's eating. I take her out at least 3 times a day, if not four.

I took a look at Sissy's Dogster page by the way, she looks like a real sweetheart! Maybe I'm prejudiced because I like the long-haired Chis so much? But I'm sure if you give her a bit more time, you could get really attached to her.

I hope this helps anyway! :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I didn't even think Skylar liked me in the beginning! Mia was my girl from the get go but Skylar preferred spending time with my husband which was very new and different to me. Skylar just didn't seem as loving as Mia. It just took a couple months for us to really connect. Now I know she's just as loving--she just shows it in a way I wasn't used to seeing.
I will say that each of my girls was 8 weeks old when I got them. For me personally, I think it's easier and quicker to "bond" with a baby than an older dog. I'm certainly not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that in my mind, I could see it maybe taking longer. I'm positive it will be worth your time to make the investment though. :) Best of luck!

Sometimes life is about expectations. Personally, I don't expect my Chis to ever be 100% housetrained. I've had Bizkit for over 8 years and I just don't see it happening. I accepted that a long time ago so I'm not disappointed or stressed when he goes in the house (hell, the girls do it too!). I know there are those whose babies are housetrained to a fault--that will never be us and I'm OK with that. You gotta pick your battles sometimes.

My girls are carried from the bed to the door in the mornings. Their feet never touch the floor until they've been outside.
Well said!!! I often feel like I'm the one trained---not my dogs. lol

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hope you give it more time and things work out for you and Sissy. I agree you should carry her out, atleast until she learns that is what is expected of her. Leave her in her crate until you can take her straight out. After she goes potty she can be a wild and crazy little dog. lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If you decide that it's not working out with her. Please don't take her back to the shelter. Look around for someone that will love her & take good care of her.

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life & you're a little overwhelmed. You need to give it some time for the bonding to begin. It will happen & you'll be so glad you didn't give her up. She's so happy in the morning you are awake that she wants to play. My chi doesn't hardly ever want to play. I get down & try to get her to play but she'd rather be loved on than chase a ball or chew a stuffed animal.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Bonding happens when you play with your dog, cuddle with them, hold them, talk to them lovingly. They can sense any feelings you have and the negative ones won't help with bonding. Change your attitude to be a bit more loving and patient with your dog. She is looking at you to be her loving owner and companion and just wants to play and give you some love. Reciprocate and give love back to her.....and you'll have a loving bond that won't/can't be broken!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts