Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been trying to get bella to sit. I have been puting the treats above her head a little hoping she will sit, but she just jumps up to grab it. I have tried pushing her butt down gently while telling her SIT and holding the treat above her head. She still isnt getting the concept that she isnt suppposed to jump up. What should i do?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Are you trying to get her to do sit or sit up If you are trying to get her to sit try holding the treat lower with your hand around it and do the gently push down the rump and say sit. It worked with Auggie :roll: His only problem is went I want him to sit up , if i hold the treat the slighest bit to high he does dance instead of sit up :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It sounds like you'll have to do two things ... "force" her rump to the ground, say "good sit" and give a treat is the first thing.

Another thing you can do is watch for a time when she just sits down on her own and say "wow!! Good sit!" like it was her idea to do it in the first place.

In our training, the teachers said hand signals are also good since dogs look at your body language first, then listen. I just point my index finger at Cooper and motion downwards and he sits - I don't have to say a word.... unless someone's standing there and I'm trying to show how he'll respond to hand commands and no voice. LOL

Be sure you're not sitting there, saying "sit" over and over though if she's not doing anything. The word will just become useless to her and it won't mean anything when she does sit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Here is a picture you need to move your hand towards your dogs bottom to get your little one into the sit position.

:arrow: :arrow:
:bunny: :arrow:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
this is how i trained jamie, although he is a lab, i think this will work on a chi too. First of all when trainign a small dog you want to be at there level, this means kneeling down, or putting them up on a table (which in my opinion isn't the safest place for a small dog :roll: (i got this (the working at there level thing) all from a chi magazine) so anyway i would kneel. get close so that you are almost touching them hold the treat up a little bit behind her head, so that they have to sit to see it. it worked for my lab. the other strategy i know is pushig lightly on thier bottom,.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i said i held it above her head i guess i mean holding it just a little behind her head so she has to sit to see it. but she doesnt sit lol. I have been trying everthing you guys have said and so far she has sat on her own ONCE lol. So i am just going to keep at it. A little bit every day i guess... thanks for all the help!!! :wave:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Everyones ideas are great i just need to add that you can even try to do this on a chair or sofa to be at thier level of course if you allow them to get on them.We'll love to see some pics.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Tico's mom you reminded me that i had that same problem with my older chi she would only sit for me on the carpet,bed,sofa,or chair not the cold floor now she does it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would avoid pressing down on her rump if at all possible. This can cause their knees to hurt and since Chi's are already prone to knee problems, it kind of scares me!

That being said, to train a pup to sit, I put the treat near their nose and SLOWLY go backwards till the dog falls back into a sitting position. The trick is to go slow and to keep it real close to their head so they don't feel the need to jump.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
best bet is to try not to PUSH down on her back/rump as it comes off as dominant punishment, while this works for some people, most trainers are staying away from the whole pushing down part.
heres the method ive had good with:
its gonna take a while, remember alot of these tricks are just natural behaviour put on cue.
i REALY suggest a clicker for this one as it seems like shes just finding hard to concentrate on the behaviour.
now all dogs sit once in a while so im gonna offer you some easy options that dont require you to realy do any kind of real training at first.

your gonna keep treats on hand at all times, dont let her know you have the treats though if you can. and keep your clicker on you at all times.
whenever you se her sit on her own imdeiatly click the clicker and say "good sit" offer the treat imediatly along with the click (if you have to throw the treat across the room do so)
shell soon associate that action of sit with wait i get something good everytime i do it on my own. once youve done it for a few days start just using the clicker and only give her a treat once in a while...so she doesnt expect a treat everytime (weaning her off the treats is a good thing unless you want to carry a bag of treats around all the time lol) eventually whenever you say the word sit she will.

another option is to do as said before take the treat in your hand let her know you have it and hold it very close to her nose first...then slowly move it backwards behind her head VERY SLOWLY VERY CLOSE dont lift it enough that shed feel the need. then as soon as she even remotly sits...say sit and give her the treat

liek ANY other trinaing this is just gonna take LOTS of patients...there are just some tricks that sometimes take longer to learn...
i mean think of it this way...
"why should i sit still when you have a treat that i want and might take it away from me any moment..." "Must Have Treat""

also if you can get on the same level as your dog this will help as youll be on the same bonding level. its a little undaunting haveing a giant waving a treat above your head when your a 50lb child let alone a tiny tiny puppy.

·
Registered
661 Posts
one other thing... (I don't think this was mentioned yet)...our trainer says dogs pick up on hand signals quicker than the verbal words for a command. With Tico, I can show him the signal for sit and he will plop right down. Compaired to saying "sit" takes a couple tries.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here's how I got my Pedro to sit. When I saw him sitting I gave him a treat and said sit. I did this a few times. I did it with toys, treats, dog food. The next thing I knew, he was sitting when I said sit. At first he was sitting for the treat, but now he sits for the word sit and he is only 10 weeks old! I think that is the easiest way for me to train him. When I see him do what I want him to do, I say the command and give him a treat.
Goodluck! :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
oh i forgot the handsignals part...
definatly a good idea to make up simple but defined handsignals for some of the basic obedience as body language does mean more to dogs than verbal. (its also much better than screaming across the house trying to get them to come.)
they dont have to be the smae thing everyone else uses, they dont have to be fancy so long as they are defined and different for sit stay down ect...
the biggest thing to rember with ANY kind of training is:
keep it simple, keep it fun, keep it positive, and keep it CONSISTENT!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when i first was trying to get bella to sit it was on the kitchen floor (tile) then i put a towel down for both of us and to my surprise she sit!!! she is so good i dont even have to have a treat anymore for her to sit!!! thanks for all the help!!! :wave: now i am having problems with her laying down :roll:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Boogaloo said:
I would avoid pressing down on her rump if at all possible. This can cause their knees to hurt and since Chi's are already prone to knee problems, it kind of scares me!

That being said, to train a pup to sit, I put the treat near their nose and SLOWLY go backwards till the dog falls back into a sitting position. The trick is to go slow and to keep it real close to their head so they don't feel the need to jump.
Good luck!
Yes, pushing on the rump is not good. you are to put your thumb and fore finger where their rear leg is connected to the body and apply pressure not pressure in that joint not pressure to hurt to as you do the above with the treat have your hand in place and apply and say sit. they will go into to sit. Only stubborn dogs need the application of the hand to the rear leg area. good luck. and dont forget the good dog dance and song and treat when his butt is totaly on the floor

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sit is the first thing Gadget learned... He learned it when he was really young... When I brought him home he couldn't walk yet so he would sit on his butt and spin his body around in circles with his front feet... I thought it was so funny to watch I would tell him he was sitting and spinning.. then he slowly got the hang of stadning then walking... but when I started teaching him to sit it was like he caught right on... I would be laying in bed watching tv ad he would be on my chest and I would tell him to sit and he would... the thing that took a long time was lay down... then one day he did it... it is like he either gets something right away or it takes a long time.. but I can get him to do aythign I want him to do.. but come is LETS GO to him... I can say come on and hee will come with me.. but lets go is what makes him come to me...

Keep working on it... she will get it... I would find a different treat that she likes.. and cut it into really small pieces... then she will just get a taste of it not a big piece and that really helped with training Gadget....

I am still working on roll over...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts