Chihuahua People Forum banner

size

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  chili 
#1 ·
do you think apple heads tend to be smaller dogs than deer heads?

#6 ·
Here's the thing -- the apple head is what our chihuahua standard calls for. People breeding for the standard are also keeping SIZE in mind. So, its likely that an apple headed dog may be smaller than a deer headed one purely because it was bred with the intent of it and its offspring or siblings being under 6 lbs.

Deerheaded chis are often bigger because they don't come from breeders seeking to adhere to the standard.

That being said I've seen teeny tinies of each variety, but way more small apple-headed dogs than deer headed. Our "big" backyard bred, back of a pick-up truck dog we have...I think she's all chi...she's a good 10 lbs.

#7 ·
I have seen some huge apple heads. I agree that the smaller all around package Chi's I usually see are they typey, cobby, apple head. I have seen some tiny deer head's but usually they are tiny in the way of being tinier boned and more delicate and will put them as smaller when you weigh them.

#8 ·
Both mine are deer heads (though Tango has a slightly more domed head than Jazz, but they both have the longish, more pointed, muzzles.) Both weigh under 4 lbs, Tango 3 1/2 lbs, and Jazz 3 lbs 12 ozs. They are both finely boned too, fragile almost. Jazz is longer bodied than Tango, and very slightly longer legged. Tango has more of a barrel chest than Jazz, though she may develop more, Tango's chest didn't mature till he was 2.

Anyway, all that is to say that though they are both deer heads they're very small, so it doesn't always follow that deer heads are going to be bigger.

#14 ·
I am partial to apple heads who are cobby.My Sparkles did not quite meet those specifications.I am in love with her now.The message I am trying to express is NEVER buy a chi online from puppyfind.My po int was i have had wonderful cobbby 3pounders to a few10 pound teapots lol who also had lovely appleheads with cobby bodies. HowMama missis thoses at the bridge.

#15 ·
Yeah, I don't think Tango and Jazz are deer heads!

I think Izzie is more of an apple head... is she? Bella is for sure deer shaped, her head, body, and legs. Izzie is smaller, shorter, and her head is a little more domed. But they are from the same litter, and Bella is literally 2x the size of Izzie.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies! I love this board because you all have knowlegde and good advise and are very helpful.
I don't want to seem like I'm looking for the smallest chi I can find, but I'm looking to get a fur baby that can travel on planes with me and is easy to take everywhere I go. I've always had big dogs and found them to keep me tied down because I wouldn't trust anyone else to watch them. Had a couple of bad experiances with leaving them at boarding places and also with having someone come to my house to care for them. So I decided that the next dog will have to be small enough to be joined at the hip. My folks have 2 chis and I have become a big fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.