Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone!

Mochi and I will be visiting my family in the States. We will have to flying about 9 hours and the last time we fly she was really upset from the plane engine taking off. I am looking to order a few things to help calm her down including a Thundershirt, some sort of padding to put under her carrier to alleviate the vibration, and something i discovered last night called the Mutt Muff.

Has anyone had any experience w this? Particularly the sizing. Since I am ordering from the US - i might not have enough time to buy and return if it does not fit.

Mochi is 3.5kg (about 7lbs) with a head circumference of 9.5inches. The Mutt Muffs website estimate her to be a XS based on her weight but S on her actual circumference size.

What Size?

Love to hear your feedback - thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I am not familiar with the mutt muff, I have seen pictures of a friend who has a small plane which is loud, their dogs, (Chi's), have what looks like these on. They are not in a travel bag because it is their private plane.
If you are flying commercial remember Mochi will need to be contained in a bag. I have flown with my two pups, I can't imagine them being happy or having less anxiety wearing these inside a small bag.
You know Mochi, maybe it wouldn't bother!'
Maybe you could download some music on an iPod, etc. and play during that time. I found that it wasn't as traumatic as I thought and they settled in quite nicely... Get some kind of amazing treat, small pieces to avoid any problems, and,give as you are taking off and landing. I did this if they became agitated at all.
There is a web site called "Dog Jaunt" that is all about travel, it. Has excellent info.
Good luck, Debby

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
I do not know anything about Mutt Muff but look into Rescue Remedy (by Bach Flowers) to help keep her relaxed and calm. It is all natural

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes I discovered the Dog Jaunt blogs last night in my research. Great info! But not mobile friendly. I need to read again from my laptop. This is true about the ear muffs inside the carrier. We have about 6-8 weeks until the trip. I may practice w her on the train and trams where theres lots of rattling and see how she does. I have been reading a lot of great feedback on the product. I guess it varies on the pup's personality and character too.

I read a response from Caesar Milan about smell recognition (in his example it was lavender oil scents) and continuing to associate it to something postive and calming. Ill check out the Resue Remedy. I think Mochi will need Rock Rose lol.

Thanks for the advice!! :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The mutt muff looks as if it would easily be knocked out of place and might feel quite strange to many pups.
Have you heard of a Happy Hoody? I am a groomer and use these to muffle the noise of the blaster. The dogs really seem unphased by them and they stay in place. They are stretchy, elasticated fabric tubes that slide over your dogs head and ears.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have actually heard of these before- but I think they are mostly designed for private aircraft use. Commercial planes reduce noise in the cabin already- since you don't need to wear ear protection your dog does not really need to either. In a lot of little planes the people have to wear hearing protection so it only makes sense to put some on your dog too. If they try them ahead of time and love them or something then by all means go for it- but they were not really designed to be worn in a carrier. I think you will be better off with a comfortable carrier, thunder-shirt and some rescue remedy. But you know your dog and if they are comfortable on and they like wearing them then perhaps it would help.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
That is right on ascent and descent, I actually unzipped the bag, had my fingers gently pulling and massaging their ears. I felt like an octopus with two pups, it should be very manageable with one! You have to be very discreet doing this, some airlines, (flight attendants), are very strict on opening the bag. You are not supposed to.
They are under your feet, I opened the tray when it is ok & used that as a shield so they couldn't see what I was doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts