Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My little honey has had a skin prob for the last week, its a red circle just under her nose. Its taken away the black pigment and its just red. Theres also some redness under her chin

Look at pics attached, has anyone else's chi had this before?
She doesnt seem to be in pain with it, but she always constantly licking!

Any advice would be great

Sarah :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ok my first thought was spider bite, in which case as long as it doesn't get worse, it slowly should go away. If it gets worse, I'd get her to the vet so they can prescribe some steroids to help kick it.

It also could be a clogged hair follicle, just like people get sometimes.

It could be an allergic reaction to her food, too. Even if a dog has been on something for ages, they still can, at times, develop new allergies, and often the first place those allergies "show" is around the nose, mouth, eyes and ears, as well as chewing on paws and feet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks flippedstars!

Its def some sort of reaction, shes been on antibotics nearly a week now and she starts some steroids tonight for 3 days so hopefully it wll be ok. Its under her chin as well so it could be something to do with food as that would kinda make sense!
:)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you by any chance feed out of plastic dishes? They have been shown to harbor bacteria that can spread to the mouth and lips. Always use stainless steel or just people dishes for food and water.

It looks a little like ringworm to me, but hard to tell from the photo. I assume the vet has seen her since she's on steroids and antibiotics. There's also a lip infection called "rodent ulcer" that it sort of resembles as well. The problem is with the location of this sore, any topical medicine will be licked right off so it's in a bad spot. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you by any chance feed out of plastic dishes? They have been shown to harbor bacteria that can spread to the mouth and lips. Always use stainless steel or just people dishes for food and water.

It looks a little like ringworm to me, but hard to tell from the photo. I assume the vet has seen her since she's on steroids and antibiotics. There's also a lip infection called "rodent ulcer" that it sort of resembles as well. The problem is with the location of this sore, any topical medicine will be licked right off so it's in a bad spot. :(
No the vet did ask me that question, but she does drink and eat out of china bowls like us humans do.

Yeah i thought that too actually, its just strange thats its one little circle and some redness under chin. I wll google that that - thank u. She doesn start taking the steroids until tonight and shes only on them for 3 days.
Yep exactly ! So i cant put anything on there ! :(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Really! Its only in one spot and just one red circle, is that normal?
I go back on Thursday as she would of then completed her antibiotics and steroid treatment
I actually got ringworm my self a few years back from going to a cat breeders house, and it looked like that, it started as one ring then I got 3 all up. I had to use a antifungus cream for 2 weeks. I wonder if the same treatment would be used for dogs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts