Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shy is sooo skinny! He eats normal, (Iams) but he is still waay to skinny. he is negitave for worms, and is not sick at all. he has just been to the vet, and they said he seemed fine?! But you can see almost every bone he's got! Is their any weight gain food, somone could reccommend for me? It would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
How old is Shy? could it be that he is going through a growth spirt? I know that puppies can go through growth spirts and can look very skinny. How much does he weigh?

Rub your fingers across his ribs...can you feel a thin layer of fat under the skin...you should easly feel the ribs but you should also feel a thin layer of fat that glides over the ribs. Can you see his hip bones?? How much do you feed him a day?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shy is 10mo. He has food available to him all the time. Yes, I can easily feel the ribs, and I think I can feel some "fat", I can also see his hip bones.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You really shouldnt be able to see his hip bones, but he can also be going though a 'lanky' stage where he is growing fater then he can keep weight on.
As long as you had a vet check him and they gave him the ok and he is acting like a healthy energetic chi then I wouldnt worry about it. Its when he starts becoming lethargic and acting sick that you have to worry.

Do you see him eat? Do you know about how much he does eat? When you free feed a dog sometimes it can be hard to know how much they eat unless you have only one dog and you measure how much you give them and how much is left at the end of they day. So long as you know for a fact that he is eating the amount he needs to be then I wouldnt worry, otherwise if you are unsure I would schedule feed him...at least twice a day, but three times would be best if you can. This way you can divide the total amount of food he should have a day into two-three servings and he should eat all the food in one serving.

Again, if the vet said he was okay I wouldnt worry, uless you dont trust the vet then get a second opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the helpful advice! I will try the schedule feeding. And I will also maybe try to mix some wet dog food into his regular food, so He gains a little more weight.
Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
No problem. Sounds like you have a good plan. Let us know how he does okay and if you notice him starting to act lethargic or if he is not eating as well as he should be take him to the vet again.

Also, if you only had one fecal test done I would do another. They say that it takes two test to prove positive or negative. I know that tape worms are the hardest to diagnose because normally you cannot see the eggs in the poop. We had a dog at work (this is gross...warning) who was in the room and a little worm fell out of him. It looked like a grain of rice. We squished it under the microscope and looked to see what eggs it had..it was tape worm. WE did a fecal test on the dog but there wasnt one tapeworm egg in the stool :shock: Anyway yeah if you want to be super sure its not worms I would test him again, unless you did already :wink:

Good luck and keep us updated!!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
also to fatten hi up a bit you could try adding some chopped up boiled chicken breat too his food - he will soon wolf it down :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Sturgis was one of those skinny ones he fattend up a wee bit but is back to that skinny look ithin its because he is ore active inthe warmer weather running more outside and such

1 - 8 of 8 Posts