Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I went to see my neighbour today to see if she still had her Chihuahua for sale. She does woo hoo.... however she still waiting for someone to come up tonight to view her.
I got to play with her for a little while, sh seems really skinny..... like I can physically see her spine. her waist is really skinny, and her belly seemed bloated and hard but I could feel the rib cage.....

Is that normal for a 3lb Chihuahua? or do you think there is something wrong?

I asked whats shes fed on and she said pedigree...... but she eats the cat food then her own food...... if that were true surely she wouldnt be skinny like she is......

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hello everyone,

I went to see my neighbour today to see if she still had her Chihuahua for sale. She does woo hoo.... however she still waiting for someone to come up tonight to view her.
I got to play with her for a little while, sh seems really skinny..... like I can physically see her spine. her waist is really skinny, and her belly seemed bloated and hard but I could feel the rib cage.....

I asked whats shes fed on and she said pedigree...... but she eats the cat food then her own food...... if that were true surely she wouldnt be skinny like she is......
maybe she has worms? or maybe she finds it hard to put on weight... hope you get her.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sounds like she has worms and is malnourished. Pedigree is crap it is literally like feeding additives and e numbers plus a bit of corn
She needs a good quality diet and worming

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I think some dogs just tend to be skinny.

Paige is 2lb 14oz at 7 months and ive had her 3 weeks, on great food and she just does not gain weight. She is a little nervous still but eats loads!
I agree, some dogs just tend toward the skinny side. My Roo is the same way. A really skinny bean, almost a little too skinny, I think, although my vet says she is fine. She eats good, just never gains anything. I think I could overfeed her and she still wouldn't gain.

Regarding this chi, worms do seem possible.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I wouldn't be over concerned, really. She is probably just built that way. All of my girls are very thin, and they eat plenty. They would eat all day if I let them. Even the lil belly may be perfectly normal for her. I would just switch her food if you get her to something better, and if she doesn't gain, then that's just the way she is made. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
A trip to the vet to check her for worms would be in order. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello everyone,

I want to say NO that is not normal for a 3lb chihuahua. I have 2lb 8 oz chihuahua and you cant see that on him at all..You can feel it on some chihuahua but some are build slim but not skinny where you can jsut look and see the rib and all...if i were you i would hope to get that chihuahua and get the food in him or her..cat food i not good for dogs makes them sick with runny poop...good luck

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Definitely agree some Chi's are naturally skinny. I was so worried about Maya when we brought her home...thought she was SO skinny. Granted she wasn't fed great food at ALL but I got her up 2-3oz & she looked great. haha Still could see & feel her spine though but she was nearing getting on the overweight side for her build. We can see/feel Maxies spine too but he's not too skinny. I think it has a lot to do with having no fat due to the raw diet whereas he used to have a LOT of padding (2lbs worth which is a LOT for such a small guy!). I don't think her problem is having no padding if she is fed Pedigree though...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mmm thanks guys, I will definatly be taking her to the vets if I get her..... fingers crossed she doesnt sell tonight so I can have her

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Best of luck! Still crossing my fingers that you get her. :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Sounds like she has worms and is malnourished. Pedigree is crap it is literally like feeding additives and e numbers plus a bit of corn
She needs a good quality diet and worming
this was my 1st thought also.
Worms will make the tummy bloated.
Can you get a pic of her?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts