Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My pup is nearly 6 months old and has been a solid eater since I've had him. I fed him in the same way and on the same foods as his breeder recommended and actually I was incredibly surprised at what a gannet he was! He would scoff everything I put down for him and looked like he was going to be a bit of a porker to be honest! recently however its been a bit of a different story and although he is eating its quite a bit less and he's lost his enthusiasm for his food.
he gets fed on a variety of different things (as instructed by his breeder) but nothing is quite hitting the spot and as he is eating less of everything than normal so he doesnt look as upto weight as i would hope.

I wondered if any of you knew of any special foods that chi's generally go crazy for, or high fat foods i can get him to eat so even if he is eating less he would still carry more weight?

PS. he is fine in himself and has been wormed so i dont think he actually has anything wrong with him, but all knowledge would be greatly appreciated. hes my first chi so i am still learning!

many thanks in advance every one :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
You don't say what you 're feeding him on !Dottie is 6 months and they seem to go through a lanky stage before they fill out.Any pictures you can show ?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's perfectly natural for the frantic puppy "eat-everything-I-can-find" mindset to change as your pup gets older and that his appetite is going to wax and wane to correspond with growth spurts. It's also natural that his body is going to begin to look different. He'll lose that puppy roundness and start leaning up, as long as you're not overfeeding him. A lot of chihuahuas also go through a sort of ugly-duckling stage. Jazz certainly did. She seemed all legs and ears and long, skinny body, really gangly and very clumsy. She actually reminded my of my boys when they were teens lol! THe only thing Jazz lacked were the pimples :)

Chihuahuas tend to go through a lean stage before they're a year old, where they look like they need to be fattened up. They don't, but until they develop that barrel chest typical to chis, (and that doesn't happen till they're 1 - 2 years old) some can tend to look a little scrawny. And in fact, they can actually lose a little weight during this period and still be perfectly healthy.

I wouldn't be too worried about her eating habits. In fact, I would caution you to not start the vicious cycle (and it IS vicious, I can assure you) of trying to tempt her with tasty morsels, which will guarantee that you'll create a picky, opinionated eater, which is VERY hard to correct. Picky eaters are made, not born. Dogs who are healthy will NOT starve themselves, and when they're hungry enough they WILL eat, even if it's something they've turned their little noses up at and walked away from before.

Just to give you some kind of comparison: My two are each under 4 lbs. They are fed 2X a day, morning and evening. They get 1/8 cup kibble at each feeding. That means that each dog's total daily intake is 1/4 cup of kibble. They eat a superior, 6 star food, so their bodies utilize most of it, resulting in small, firm, virtually odorless poops. They are at perfect weights and extremely healthy, and because they get JUST enough food to keep them that way, they're HUNGRY when it's feeding time, definitely NOT picky eaters. They are given several high quality treats during the course of the day also. If I'm training and giving a lot of treats for rewards, I decrease the amount of kibble proportionately so that their total intake is still around 1/4 cup.

As long as your dog is healthy, exhibiting no unusual or atypical symptoms indicative of there being some kind of health issue, if he's got energy and is eating (even though it's less than before) and drinking and peeing and pooping, I'd just leave things alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Michele, haha yes that was pretty stupid! he has royal canine biscuits and ceasur puppy food as well as fresh meat like chicken & mince as well as veg etc, we have other dogs who are all fed the same way and really thrive on it! I will charge my camera and get some pics up asap!

Hi Tink, thank you for your detailed reply! After doing some more reading and chatting im starting to think this is his lanky phase and his appetite may simply be readjusting so no need to panic, he's a super active pup too and is always springing about!
His toilets are regular and healthy and at the end of the day he is eating so i think im flapping over nothing! you know what its like when your a new mum lol

thank you very much for your help ladies :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts