Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ellie is a very nervous dog. Everything freaks her out. She has been socialized since day one and came from a very good breeder with very stable parents. Her siblings from the same litter are very even tempered as well. Her litter mate brother has his CGC and is a certified therapy dog as well as a certified service dog so Ellie seems to be the exception in the family.

Ellie is nervous about almost everything in the house. She even goes through stages where she won't walk across the kitchen floor because it isn't carpet. She is terrified to get her harness and leash on and while she lets me cut her nails it is because she gets so scared that she closes her eyes and shuts down.

The only time she is not skittish is when she is actually outside on the leash and harness. Then she is queen of the world. She is very confident and prances around with her tail and head held high. She will approach anything to check it out and will happily great other dogs.

I know she has the potential to be more confident since she shows that she can outside. I am hoping for some tips to train her inside and boost her confidence so that she feels more comfortable all of the time.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It sounds to me like something has happened to her in your home. I cant imagine anything else if she is fine outside? Something has happened or is happening that is scaring her? How long have you lived there? Anything strange happening? The other dogs act weird?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds to me like something has happened to her in your home. I cant imagine anything else if she is fine outside? Something has happened or is happening that is scaring her? How long have you lived there? Anything strange happening? The other dogs act weird?
I haven't known of anything happening to her here. We have lived here the entire time we have had her and this is actually the house I grew up in. We bought it from my dad 4.5 years ago.

The other dogs are fine although the other night Vice was staring at the corner in the living room with his hair standing on end and he started growling and barking. He has never shown anything like that before and he backed up until he was practically sitting on my feet. Neeci is sometimes a little strange and she will be running towards me and then suddenly turn tail and take off upstairs like something spooked her. Bo is as rock solid as they come. Nothing really fazes him. I would consider him bomb proof as he is impossible to spook and he hardly ever feels the need to even bark if someone comes to the house.

I wish I knew what was freaking Ellie out so much. She wasn't always like this. This behavior didn't really start until she was about 6 months old.

Do you think there could be a spirit or something that could be freaking her out? I wonder what could be done about that if that were the case. I don't want her to live in fear but giving her up is completely out of the question and we aren't moving anywhere else. There has to be a solution to help her out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
... the other night Vice was staring at the corner in the living room with his hair standing on end and he started growling and barking. He has never shown anything like that before and he backed up until he was practically sitting on my feet...

I wish I knew what was freaking Ellie out so much...
In all seriousness, it could be mice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would agree with the mice issue if we weren't extremely vigilant with rodent control now. When we moved in we had a problem with them and since then the house has been bated well and it has been years since any of the baits have been touched. There has to be something that bothers Ellie in the house and not outside. She is treated the same as the other dogs so I don't know what is so terrifying to her inside the house. She is comfortable in my daughters' room though and that is where she sleeps. She won't let any other dog, except for Neeci, sleep in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts