Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Baby-Waby, 5 months old, is a bit of a rambunctious character....very much the runt of the litter who's grown into a very playful extrovert who loves nothing better than to scuffle all day long with her 10 year old "big sister", our other Chihuahua named Pixie. One aspect of Baby's temperament has us baffled, however. She loves to be held and petted once she's in our arms but she will absolutely not let us pick her up without a 15 minute game of catch-me-if-you-can. She will come to us if we call her and (very warily) let us pat her on the head but once me or my wife initiates the slightest movement suggestive of picking her up,,,Zoom!...she's taken off under a table or chair to hide. She's not been mistreated in any way -- We got her at about 9 weeks old and she was so tiny for the longest that we were continually mindful of being gentle with her.....She's about 3.5 or 4 pounds now, I'm guessing. Any Ideas as to how we might persuade her to be a tad more friendly toward being picked up?

Thanks!

·
Banned
248 Posts
LOL I am going through the exact same thing with my 6 month old Chi/Yorkie. I just got her last night. But she acts the same way as your pup. Playful, friendly, goofy, loves to be held and cuddled but only when she initiates it. When I go to pick her up ZOOM she is off and running from me like a wild animal. Very flightly. I can however lift her up and put her on the couch if she comes and puts her paws up.

Today I decided to put a leash on her and leave it on just in case she gives chase and ends up in a place I can't reach her. But I am open to others opinions and advice in how to wrangle a flightly but friendly puppy lol.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My Bella who is 2yrs old has always been like that, you have described her to a tee. She loves being cuddled but always runs away at least six times before I can pick her up. She always comes up to me and often jumps up against my legs asking to be picked up then runs away, she's a crazy little madam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts