Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the Chi breed, but now have 2 and my husband has 2. We live apart during the week and are all together Fri night thru Monday morning. We each just had one and they sleep in their crates. Now with the 2 new additions (all of this has happened in a 2month period!) not sure if we should get 2 more crates or let them pair up at night. Any suggestions? Oh, I'm new to the group too, so thank in advance for your help!!:)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Are they pups or adults? Do they get along well enough to pair up?

I don't crate mine during the night, didn't even do it when Gracie was a pup. They sleep with my husband and I. But I never crate my two together because of the age and temperament differences between them. Gracie can get pretty obnoxious at times! I'd hate to have Pedro hurt her just because he'd had enough and she didn't get the message.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think it would depend if they all get along and if the crate is big enough. I hate crating my babies and never do. They sleep with me during the night. lol Our new boy sleeps with us too! There is always room for a Chihuahua LOL Good luck with figuring out the best sleeping situation with them!!!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Tabitha and Jerry share an ex-pen at night and they tend to sleep on the same dog bed.
Evie has a playpen for now. Sometimes I crate the older ones
overnight just to keep them comfortable with the idea; but, I don't crate them together.
There is always the risk that a fight could break out in
such a small space.
That worries me :(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Deciding to crate dogs together depends entirely on the dogs in question. There's no "one size fits all" answer. I have crated my two together on occasion, because I know they will be fine together. But it took quite some time for me to be comfortable doing that, until I was certain they were going to be OK, and did a few trial runs first. And even though I know they'll be fine, they still each have their own crate, because I think it's important that a dog have one specific place that is just his, that he can claim as his own and have some control over. If either of them gets into the other's crate, and the owner of the crate has an issue about it (usually they'll stand outside it and bark lol) I will come and remove the offender. Mostly though, they are very particular about only being in their own crate.

If you decide you want to give it a try, I'd do some trial runs first. I'd hate for you to be woken up at 2.00 a.m. by a fight :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol--still learning how to use web site...so to continue my question

thanks for everyones impute! Now another question..what size crate works best for their "private quarters"? And, they all came from the same breeder and have "known" each other...the female is 1 year, 2 boys are 6mo next week and 1 boy is 7mo. So they all get along pretty well. I thought about your comments and agree not to push my luck and have them sleep together---no one is that in love, lol! But I am hesitant about having them sleep with us, at least until they have been with us several months and I'm sure they are fully potty trained (not doing the pee pee pads).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The crates I have for my guys are the smallest ones made, I think. Here, have a link:
Amazon.com: I Crate Single Door - 22" L x 13" W x 16" H: Kitchen & Dining

That's the exact crate I have for my two. I cover the crates with a blanket so they're den-like, and have a crate mat and their favorite snuggle blanket in there for them. You don't want a crate too big or they might get the idea it's OK to pee in one corner of it while still having it be their den/safe space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts