Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a long and rambling post so please forgive me in advance.

I brought Willow home on Saturday night. She'd been sleeping with her litter in a playpen in the living room. Mylo normally sleeps next to my bed in his 30" crate. I put her in the playpen and she whined the whole time, so I tried putting Mylo in with her for company and it made no difference so I put her in the crate with Mylo and she settled pretty quickly once she could see me, Mylo took a little while to adjust but they both slept fine and quietly in the end.

Last night I put them both in the crate and even with my hand through the bars stroking her she kept whining. I left her and after about 15 minutes she stopped. I can't believe such a little thing can be so loud...she sounds like a house alarm! She went to sleep for no longer than hour, woke up and did the same again. She repeated this again and at about half two I felt sorry for Mylo and he growled at her because she kept disturbing him while he was trying to sleep so I put his bed next to my bed and left her in the crate. I stroked her head and she went to sleep. There was apparently another 10 mins of crying during the night but I didn't wake up. Mylo walked around the room for a bit and then settled on his bed.

So I don't know what to do. We haven't slept well for the last few nights and my OH has to get up early. Should I put her in the pen on her own, put her in the crate with Mylo? Put Mylo in the playpen or in the room while she's in the crate? Should I put Mylo in his crate and her in the carrier I picked her up in (it's small but more than big enough for her to run around in, never mind lie down and turn around)? Will Mylo be upset that she's taken over his crate? If she doesn't stop whining would it be cruel to put her in the next bedroom? If I do, would it cause a problem keeping Mylo in my room? I feel bad, like I'd be punishing him. I also feel like that with the playpen. It's too big to fit next to the bed so I've had him in the play pen once they wke up around 6 so I can get a bit more sleep, and left her in the crate. I put him in there because I know he won't whine and if he does he'll stop quickly but he's far away from me which he doesn't like and I feel bad like I'm punishing him for being well behaved. I feel so confused and don't know what to do!

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I would leave Mylo sleeping by your bed, since that's what he's used to and put her in a crate if you want her crate trained. Of course you'll need to get up in the middle of the night to let her pee, so a good night's sleep is at least a little ways off. Usually puppies feel better about being in the crate if it's in the bedroom.

When we first crate trained Odie she would howl. It was crazy loud, but she settled down within a week, as long as we would let her out to pee. She would always have access to food and water.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't change up Mylo's routine, maybe you could get her her own crate and put it beside his? Sorry I can't offer better advice, my guys sleep in the bed with me, and each have their own little blanket...but I know some people aren't huge fans of pups in the bed.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't sleep with them there. I move around loads in bed and I worry about disturbing them and I'd definitely worry about squishing Willow. I think I might try putting her in her carrier thing. It's like a crate but filled in on the sides but it's more than big enough for her at the moment. If she won't be quiet do you think it would be mean to put her next door and leave Mylo where he is?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I don't think it would be mean. I'm sure a lot of people crate train their dogs in separate rooms. I would just be worried about not hearing her when she needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have had this problem with Prada and Gucci, Chanel was a calm sleeper though thank God
Prada was alone when I got her, she would sleep in her playpen in the spare room and boy oh boy did she cry the first week... almost none stop! I can still remember it very clearly because it was so heartbreaking and LOUD!
But unfortunately I think the only way forward is a bit of tough love and patience.
I also bought her a snuggle puppy to keep her warm and it also had a heartbeat to make her think she had others around.
I soon realised that if I did go up to her she would calm down but cry out and do little barks even more once I left again.
So I just invested in some earplugs and hubby and I just dealt with it.
As the days went on she whined less and soon realised that it would do her no good so she stopped.
When I got Gucci, he would wine much less with Prada being there, but he did cry for the first 2-3 days too. Again, he did stop eventually

I think put them both in their playpen with a few of their favourite toys (may I suggest non- squeaky ones or else you won't hear the end of it LOL!) and a blankie in the spare room. They will be fine, mine were!

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I'm not going to be of much help here bc all 3 of my chi's sleep in bed with us (from day 1). Bryan and I move around a lot too, but we have never squished one yet, lol! They're so spoiled now that if we nudge them, they growl at us! How rude.....I tried doing the whole crate training sleep thing but obviously failed bc I gave into the whimpering and crying! :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unless she is incredibly tiny, I would't worry too much about squishing her. They are perfectly capable of moving out of the way. We share a bed with 2 chis and a 60lb pit bull. Never had a problem. Well, no problems except that they can be blanket hogs, which is why they each have their own now lol. The carrier should work fine, but if you want a permanent arrangement I would think about getting her a crate in the future.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think you should figure out what the best sleeping arrangement would be for you, and then just be consistent about it. The more you change things around, the longer it will take Willow to get into a routine and stop fussing. Expect a couple weeks of crying, and some interrupted sleep for a month or two while her bladder gets strong enough to hold it through the night. Or, put her in a space big enough for a potty corner and set a pee pad down for now.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep Mylo to his usual routine and I'll put her in the carrier and get her her own crate at some point. It's big enough at the moment for her to have a space to potty and sleep and she's good at going before bed and then doesn't normally go again until around 6 but since she's used to having one in the playpen at her breeders I'd prefer she have one.

Thanks everyone for your input, it really helps to talk it out and get opinions.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep Mylo to his usual routine and I'll put her in the carrier and get her her own crate at some point. It's big enough at the moment for her to have a space to potty and sleep and she's good at going before bed and then doesn't normally go again until around 6 but since she's used to having one in the playpen at her breeders I'd prefer she have one.

Thanks everyone for your input, it really helps to talk it out and get opinions.
I think that's a perfect solution. That way you can have her out of your room, not worry about her need out to go to the bathroom. You could even use a play pen and set it up with the crate, a pee pad and food/water so she doesn't have to use a pee pad inside the crate. That should give you some rest during the night! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Melissa, what I did when we added Bella to our family was to keep Alfie in the exact routine he was used to. I didnt think it was fair to change it. I decided what the sleeping arrangements were going to be and stuck to it. Like Mylo Alfie has always slept in a crate next to our bed and I wanted Bella to do the same. I bought an exact same size crate and put it next to Alfie's so she could see him but not directly disturb him by climbing on him or anything. It wasn't easy at first as she was disturbing all of us with her whining but at least I was close for her toilet needs. They do eventually realise that whining doesn't work and settle down. These first weeks are an anxious time and I remember thinking what have i done ? but each night we got through was a little easier than the last and the next thing we knew she'd slept through. I think Willow will be fine on her own in her carrier next to you but not directly disturbing Mylo. Good luck, hope you have a better night tonight.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would not alter Mylo's sleeping arrangements. Keep him on his routine. If you want Willow crate trained, keep her in a separate crate by your bed and ignore her whining completely. Don't talk to her, touch her, or look at her. I had Gemma in a pen next to our bed for the first couple weeks while she was learning how to use her pad, and after a few nights she stopped whining entirely. I just ignored her and she got the message fast that whining wasn't going to get my attention.

I know what you mean about them being so loud. I couldn't believe how loud Gemma could cry during the first few nights! It was hell, lol, but it passed quickly. Now Gemma sleeps in bed with us but she is good and quiet if we put her in her own bed.

I'm sure Willow will get the sleeping arrangements figured out soon. :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank God I'm not the only me wondering if I've made the wrong decision. Thanks so much guys. I'll put her in the carrier next to the bed and ignore her. There's enough space for bed, puppy pad and food. I'll try putting a t-shirt of mine in to see if that helps and I'll keep Mylo to his routine.

I wanted them both to sleep together so they can cuddle and keep each other company. Do you think that it'll be ok to switch him over to his crate (which is plenty big enough for both of them) when/if they start getting along well and start sleeping together during the day time?

On a similar note, when I go to work tomorrow (first time leaving them both), I think I'm going to put Mylo in the middle bedroom as usual and Willow in the playpen. Do you think that's ok? She's going to make a lot of fuss but there's not much I can do about that I guess. I've left the room for short intervals and left her in the crate or playpen for short periods but seen no improvement so far. I think I'll put the carrier in the pen too.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not going to be of much help here bc all 3 of my chi's sleep in bed with us (from day 1). Bryan and I move around a lot too, but we have never squished one yet, lol! They're so spoiled now that if we nudge them, they growl at us! How rude.....I tried doing the whole crate training sleep thing but obviously failed bc I gave into the whimpering and crying! :(
Lol. How rude...you'll have to growl back at them! I've slept with Mylo once when I was sick but normally he won't keep still. He just runs around the bed, jumps off, scrapes at the sides trying to get up again and repeat. He was so good and quiet for me that day though. Looked after me, bless 'im.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am the only one who's dogs and pup sleep in the kitchen??
In lovely warm beds, no cruelty involved lol!
Lol. Quite possibly. I like to keep an eye on them and I'd have felt bad leaving him in another room alone. I hope that once they're both older I can leave them down stairs together. The bedroom is a pup only experience. Once I can trust them they'll be down stairs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts