Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We keep Coco (7 months old) in a small kennel in our bedroom when we go to bed. Would love taking her into our bed but when Mitsy got sick, she sometimes peed in the bed (was on lasix) or sometimes vomited on the bed. So to avoid this, we prefer (sadly) to keep Coco sleeping in her own bed and kennel.
She's been waking us up at night around 0330 scratching and whining.
I want to ignore her but afraid she has to go out, so I get up, let her out and she has a little poop and pee, then back in the sleeping kennel. We tried feeding her a bit later (last night she ate at 7pm) but that didn't make a difference. Should I ignore her? I could put her and the kennel in a different room. Also, had to go to work yesterday, no one here so I thought she'd be fine in the mud room with the litter box. She hasn't been using it since I've been home with her and letting her out often ( she likes to go out in the fenced pen for potty) but does not ask yet. So anyways, I guess the mud room is too large for her and she went on the rug. Got another Xtra large pen out where I put the litter box and a bed into for her today. Will that do? Should I put water in there or not? Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mine have access to water at all times, other than when they go in their crates to sleep at night. Bentley is still working on potty training, so we keep him in a a pen with a bed, food, water, toys, and his pee pad, which is on a holder. He always uses the pad when he is in their (he sometimes uses it and then tears the pad up, flinging little poops all over, but hey, he went on the pad!).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
At only seven months, getting up once during the night to potty is normal.

I wouldn't worry.

Do keep water down. I used to not keep it available at night, however, with Douglas' medication he has to always have it available.

Age has a lot to do with how long they can hold their potty. I tend to take small dogs out every 3 hours or so to go potty, and more often if they are under a year old. At night they can go longer, but until she's a year old I would not expect her to hold it all night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.