Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
i sleep with my little bed hogs. i lost 45 lbs recently so that gives more room for my three dogs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My two dogs sleep with us under the blankets. Our bed is directly on the ground so that they can easily hop on and off. Mackenzie likes to sleep between my bf's legs (I guess that spot is really warm LOL) and Minnie snuggles against me. If I turn around during the night, I just grab her and flip on the other side with me (she sleeps right through it). If I start squishing her, she puts her paws straight against me to warn me or she just moves somewhere else.

Snuggling with my dogs at night is one of my favorite moments of the day!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My little girl slept with me for about 3 days when I got her.
On those nights she got down off the bed and went potty on the floor (I take her out to go).

Also sleeping in bed may lead to dominace issues, since the dog is sleeping with "alpha dog".

But Isis can come snuggle sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Chi sleeps in his kennel for a few reasons. Firstly, as my first dog, with a boyfriend who is not really an animal person, we had a "dogs don't sleep on the bed" rule (I figured it's a small compromise for my boyfriend). Secondly, Ollie is the kind of dog who consistently needs to be reminded who is boss. He has to sit before food, sit and wait or do another "trick" before getting treats, sit before being let onto the couch, walk beside/slightly behind me, etc. because otherwise he'll very quickly try to walk all over people. His barking will increase, possessiveness will start, and so on, if we don't stick to this. So, letting him sleep on the bed with us would also be giving him the wrong idea.

If you don't have a particularly dominant dog, then I don't see anything wrong with letting them sleep on your bed. It's just that I know Ollie, and the structure that he needs, so he only gets to sleep on the bed on very rare occasions. Just one thing to keep in mind is that I would recommend having your dog be used to sleeping both in your bed and in their own bed, so alternating sometimes. This is just because things can happen, or you could go on vacation, or whatever, that could result in your dog needing to adapt to different sleeping arrangements. It would be easier to deal with that ahead of time, rather then when busy with whatever else is going on.

All of this being said, my IG still sleeps on the bed with us. I am hoping to wean her off of this soon (again, so I know that she can sleep in her own bed), but we haven't had much success yet. She originally slept in a nice, comfy crate, for a couple weeks. But she'd start wining in the morning and I had three options: 1)take her outside really early in the morning and wait FOREVER for her to do her business, 2)ignore her and then she'd mess in her crate, or 3)put her in bed with me and she'd sleep soundly until I was ready to get up. Also, Juno is an extremely submissive dog. Ollie keeps her in line (and gives him an outlet to be "Boss" lol) so I never even have to worry about it.

Obviously #3 is most appealing. The frustrating thing is that this option proved that she could hold it all night from the start, but she simply wouldn't do it if she slept in her crate. Boyfriend has allowed the "no dogs in bed" rule to be broken for now, but both of us would prefer to be able to sleep without her at least sometimes. So, that's what we're working on.
I would get rid of the b/f personally✌🏼

21 - 26 of 26 Posts