Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 8 week old Chi, Oscar since last Saturday now and we're struggling with getting him to sleep.
First night we tried him in his cage and he just howled the house down all night. I got up with him to check if he needed the loo, Id put him back and he just wouldnt stop. So for the sake of the neighbours we brought him up with us.
Next night we tried bringing his bed up so its by the side of the bed, he was a little better but everytime he woke up he just wanted to jump up on the bed and would not settle.
Then we tried bringing his crate up to stop him jumping up on the bed, but of course this just brought back the howling and ear piercing crying!!
In the end we brought him into our bed which is the least thing i wanted to do :( Helppppp x

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ive put all his toys in there, a hot water bottle, a clock, one of my tops so he has the scent ive tried everything lol!!

I think he also has seperation anxiety coming on as he does cry when i go upstairs and leave him down :( So maybe i should work on that and the sleeping will come into place when he's ready?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else out there?
Should i let him in my bed until we get the seperation anxiety sorted or is it just going to make him worse? i dont know what to doooooooo :(

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Anyone else out there?
Should i let him in my bed until we get the seperation anxiety sorted or is it just going to make him worse? i dont know what to doooooooo :(
If you do not want him to stay in your bed forever, I would not let him in but keep persisting. Is there any way you can put your hand where he is sleeping so he can feel you?
I know many people that let their dogs cry it out. My girl did not have a big problem in her box bed (we did not cage or crate her) but eventually, she learned to jump up on the bed and sleeps with me now. She will usually curl up and not move all night, unless she gets cold. But many people are not so lucky.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
At 8 weeks old, he is going to cry. Most breeders won't even send a chi home before 10-12 weeks, an 8 week old is veryyyy young. He misses his momma and litter mates. He's scared and lonely.

This is where tough love comes in! You need to ignore him. Giving him attention when he cries is going to reinforce the behavior. He needs to know that crying won't work. It may take a few weeks, but it will work.

I think I was up all night listening to Toby cry for two nights, but he was already 14 weeks old. It's going to take longer for an 8 week old.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Ashley said it. . .tough love! I understand witht he neighbors and all. You should probably start with leaving him during the day for short bits of time.

I didn't have a problem with Angel at night. We brought his crate to our bedroom. He cried for about 15 minutes the first two nights and that was it! BUT, when it came to leaving him downstairs alone while we went upstairs, he cried and cried! Hubby, of course, gave in! hummph! But, finally, we both decided enough, he has to learn, because even when we went out to the hot tub, it was a problem. Now, it's no problem. Just had to let him cry it out! As he got older, I held the squirt bottle and said "quiet!" It helped!

However, all that said, he is still quite young! Give a little more time to settle in! It's hard not to want to cuddle them!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I shall try again tonight with the crate downstairs, when he cries shall i go down to him and check if he needs a wee and then put him straight back in the cage?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I agree with Ashley tough love is the way to go. Jaxx cried all night I think for the first couple nights.
You also might want to set a alarm because realistically a pup that young is going to need to go potty at least if not twice during the night.
You can put some warm water in a water bottle and wrap it up in a blanket and put a ticking clock beside the crate. These both will comfort him. You can also put a t-shirt or something that has your scent on it to help comfort.

I worried about our neighbors when Jaxx was crying all night too at first but I asked them later and they said they never heard a peep.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got rascal home just a few days short of 8 weeks and the first few nights were hell, he just cried at bed time right through. We found the best was laying him in our bed ok our lap till he fell asleep, wrapped him in his blanket with a hot water bottle in his bed. We put the crate right beside my bed and I slept almost right beside him so he could see my face when he woke up. He did cry a little to start but we just ignored him ( poor neighbours must have heard him tho) and eventually he realised he wasn't allowed to sleep in bed and by the end of the first week he slept right through the night x

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks all, the plan for tonight is back in the crate when he goes to sleep in my arms and then get up at 2 (he ususally gets up at 3) see if he wants a wee and then probably 5am.

The sound of him crying is awful, it really is like a girl screaming lol

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You can still bring upstairs to your bedroom. But during the day, I would start leaving him alone, by that I mean, going into another room where he can't come or see you for about 30-60 seconds. And maybe increase the time gradually. So this several times a day.

At night, I would bring him to my room and cover his crate. That's what we did. Angel has more of a carrier than a crate, so it is only open on the front. The sides have slits. We drape a fleece over it at night, leaving most of the door uncovered, just the top 4 inches or so is covered. We do that in here at the shop also, if we have someone here that keeps him barking. We put him in his crate, and cover it. After about a minute or two he quiets down. At night he doesn't have any toys or chews in there, it's just bed time! He has done very well with it.

Good luck! It's hard to resist taking them to bed, but you will be happier in the end. I've had, not so pleasant experience with dogs in bed, so no more dogs in the bed for us!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts