Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! I went to blockbuster last night and took cooper with me and I saw the smallest chihuahua I have ever seen! She was 4 years old and 1 1/2 pounds! It looked like a puppy, I would love to have a puppy like that! But not if they are unhealthy this lady said teeny ones can be just as healthy has a 6 pounder. And the standerd calls for 2 -6 pounds and some chi's are way bigger and they are healthy so a smaller one can be just as healthy? I dont know, tell me what you think?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I think it can go either way............just depends on the doggie. I know I saw a lil one that was like 2 and what a peanut. So cute. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I am always more worried about Bindi due to her being so tiny :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I worry a lot with Gizmo just weighing 4 pounds...he is small...smaller than most 4 pounders his age...I worry about him getting stepped on...he's just so little within a blink of an eye he is gone...LOL...

Gosh with something so little just a drop from your lap could be horrible :shock:

That would stress me out too much...with that being said I hope Gizzie gets to 6 pounds... :lol:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I know I'm always worrying about Chloe, at 3lbs. I would be a WRECK if I had one any smaller! The boys are 6lbs a piece....PERFECT! :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the big deal is many people purposely breed tiny Chihuahua and jeopardize their health. Many people also ignore the standard and breed outrageously large Chihuahua. In any toy breed size is always a big deal. :lol:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Wow! That's tiny! I bet it was sooo cute! I love all of them but I'm sucker for a teeny tiny pup. I don't think I would want one that tiny though. Lina is 3.5 to 4lbs and she's tiny enough for me.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Wow I own a porker Tader is 9lbs & to me he is still a small doggie!! My whole family has weight issues so he fits in just fine!! I would be scared to death to have a pet that small.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i can see the cuteness don't get me wrong, chiwi is small. but she scares me every single day. i know that people breed the really tiny and the larger size but i can't see what the big deal is. this girl the othr day seen chiwi and was like oh she's so small that's good, how much does she weigh? will she get bigger? you should mate her witha s mall male so the puppies will be real tiny too. i didn't have time for ignorance so i just said no puppies for her she's getting fixed and was on my merry way. i come across people constantly that are chiw weight obsessed. yeah the breed standard says 2-6 but i had a friend whose chi was 8 pounds and one that was 5 pounds, there wasn't much of a difference there. what's it like with some women small tiny chi's are status symbols? like men with big fancy cars?? if you bought a puppy and over the years if reached 8-9 pounds (not fat either) and you thought it was going to stay in the 3-4 pound range when you first got it would you love the dog any less?? the weight charts aren't 100% accurate. there have been some dogs that started out where they should ahve only reached 3 pounds but ended up 6 or more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I somewhat agree. But part of the attraction of haveing a chihuahau is their small size. Some people are fine with a large chihuahua. I feel no chihuahua or any other breed should be bred unless its close to the breed standerd, sometimes large chihuahua's are still born but not as often. For some haveing a small pup would be a staus symbol, but the majority of the people who have the tinies Im sure dont think of them as that. Wanting a small chihuahua or a large chihuahua is just personal preference some perfer a 6 pound or larger chihuahua while other perfer 3 pounds.

·
Registered
936 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
i can see the cuteness don't get me wrong, chiwi is small. but she scares me every single day. i know that people breed the really tiny and the larger size but i can't see what the big deal is. this girl the othr day seen chiwi and was like oh she's so small that's good, how much does she weigh? will she get bigger? you should mate her witha s mall male so the puppies will be real tiny too. i didn't have time for ignorance so i just said no puppies for her she's getting fixed and was on my merry way. i come across people constantly that are chiw weight obsessed. yeah the breed standard says 2-6 but i had a friend whose chi was 8 pounds and one that was 5 pounds, there wasn't much of a difference there. what's it like with some women small tiny chi's are status symbols? like men with big fancy cars?? if you bought a puppy and over the years if reached 8-9 pounds (not fat either) and you thought it was going to stay in the 3-4 pound range when you first got it would you love the dog any less?? the weight charts aren't 100% accurate. there have been some dogs that started out where they should ahve only reached 3 pounds but ended up 6 or more.
Exactly :thumbright: :wink: !!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, over the years I have had chis ranging from 3.5 lbs to 10 lbs. and I can honestly say I loved them all regardless. Size is really not an issue with me, but I know some people do prefer them tiny and with some it might be a status symbol. But I am more inclined to think most just want tiny chis - after all this is one reason why most people buy the toy breeds.

I could be wrong of course - my family tells me I always make excuses for ignorant people and always choose to believe something positive. I tell them I'm just an optimist - I always view the cup as half full, rather than half empty. :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw a 1.5 lbs chi when I was trying to get chiquitita...the breeder had him as a reproductor....he was very very small...scary small....When I was looking for Chiquitita, I wanted to get one fo those very small chis...but then I talked to the breeder I got Chiquitita from and she made me realized that they might be prone to have more health problems and that you have to be very careful with them...b/c of what everybody has said before...falls...well...also...they can jump in bed with u, or have naps with u...i'd be so scared...
So i decided to get Chiquitita who at 8 months is 3.5 lbs which I still find very small...I don't know what I would have done with one of those teeny tiny ones....Lolita is 8 months old too and she is 3.9 lbs ....but i'd love them same if they were 1.5 or 12 lbs....it is not the size that matters...it is their personality....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts