Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reese is my big dog, a chow chow/border collie mix. He is nine and has had dry skin, allergies, and an often strong odor since we adopted him at age two. He is on a grain free and raw diet and gets fish or coconut oil daily. The vet suggested we try a people dandruff shampoo and see if that helps. We bought selsen blue with selenium sulfide and began monthly baths (previously, he got quarterly baths). I am amazed. This is month two, he scratches tons less, his fur is soft, and the smell is nearly gone. He seems much more comfortable, too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Reese is my big dog, a chow chow/border collie mix. He is nine and has had dry skin, allergies, and an often strong odor since we adopted him at age two. He is on a grain free and raw diet and gets fish or coconut oil daily. The vet suggested we try a people dandruff shampoo and see if that helps. We bought selsen blue with selenium sulfide and began monthly baths (previously, he got quarterly baths). I am amazed. This is month two, he scratches tons less, his fur is soft, and the smell is nearly gone. He seems much more comfortable, too.

thats good that the odor has stopped. just keep using that shampoo! :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
this is good to know.....I had a friend with a springer spaniel with that funky skin smell..eww..this shampoo sounds like a lifesaver.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Maybe we will try that with our stinker! The other thing I've found that works great with SMALL dogs is coconut oil and baking soda--you let it sit/soak on them for 1/2 an hour before a bath. Our Laurel always smells really, really bad...that fends it off for about a week, so, I will have to try what you have suggested here, too. She's had every health test in the book and there is nothing wrong with her...she just stinks ha ha ha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts