Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before any one jumps the gun, I want to let everyone know, that Smokey is up to date on shots. He is one of the very rare cases when the shots didnt work. (The vet told me that sometimes the shots given right at 6 weeks dont work becouse of something in the mothers milk)
Also, Smokey has never left our yard. He only goes outside to go potty and then he comes back in.

Long Story Made Short:
My husband's "Dad" and wife have 4 dogs, all of which ae/were sick. They claimed they took them to the vet and it came back that they didnt have parvo. Well beleiveing them, we went over there one night. The next day, my brother-in-law (who lives with us) took their 2 girls and their dog over to his dads. We were gone and didnt know they had planned on taking their dog with them out their. 1 of the dogs at my father-in-laws died and 3 others are sick.M y brother-in-law & his wife dont pick up after ther dog when it makes a mess in the house, so I have to pick up after him, but sometimes I get behinde on the cleaning up.
2 nights ago, I noticed that Smokey was acting like himself, but he wasnt throwing up or anything. Well then yesterday morning, he started throwing up and had a foul smell to him, so we rushed him to the vet.
The parvo test came back a very slight postive, so they kept him so he could be kept on ivs and stuff. We went and checked on him today and he looks slightly better. They are hoping he can come home tomorrow.
And now my brother-in-law's puppy is sick as well, but they wont take him to the vet :(
They say it cost too much, but Im sorry, Smokey is part of my family and I will spend all of what I have on him to get him better.
I wish I could of known that they were going to take their dog with them, I would of stopped them. I feel like this is my fault.

Please everyone keep Smokey in your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. How old is Smokey? They aren't fully protected against parvo until they have had 3 sets of puppy shots. I have seen several dogs contract parvo after just 1 or 2 parvo shots. I hope Smokey gets better quickly. Usually the first 48 hours are critical with parvo, and you usually know how they are going to do.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
oh that sounds terrible but if your brother lives with you and you treat smokey and he doesn't treat his dogs then how are you going to get rid of the parvo in your house?? sounds like you are going to have to pay for his pets too :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
I didn't know vaccines could fail:(. Hope Smokey and your brother in laws' puppy survive this.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Poor Smokey. You must be besides yourself MaryBeth. I don't blame you one bit for getting your baby medical care. I would and have done way more for my pup then my friends think I should. But, as you said, he is part of my family. When you broght Smokey home you made a promise to him to do the best you can for him. I say, take care of him as best you can within your means.

You all are in my prayers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Smokey is 4 months old.
I cant afford to pay for my brother-in-laws dog and beisdes parvo cant be cured, only treated.
I would love to take his dog to the vet, but we are already facing a $300-$1000 bill just for Smokey.
We have tons of bleach that we are going to use to clean the house & yard. Im going to stay with my parents at their house with Smokey until everything gets figured out at our house. Im not going to risk Smokey getting it again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone

The vet said it is very rare for them to fail, but it does happen. He recommends not starting shots until after weaned due to the mothers milk, but Im not real sure about that.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Poor Smokey!! Well I would not allow another dog in my house that has had any contact what so ever from Parvo. Not only that but it can be brought in off of your shoes as well. I'm wondering, can a dog get Parvo twice??? If not I would be very careful. Oh yeah just like people animal vaccines aren't 100%. but none of my girls left the house and weren't even aloud anywhere but in my backyard until all shots were given. I'm scared of that Parvo. Keep us posted on Smokeys progress:)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The vaccines can fail but if administered properly, and the pup is kept off any and all public grounds until it has had the final one, it should be fine.

What your vet told you is correct, the mother's milk contains antibodies that protect the pup for awhile. When these wear off and when the vaccines are effective are highly debated, thus why a SERIES of puppy shots...its basically playing roulette, hoping you give the pup immunity as soon as you can after the puppy loses its immunity from it's mother. Technically one set of shots at 14 weeks, would be the most effective route to go. But most people are not willing to do that as it means keeping the pup basically inside or in your own yard you know is clear of nasty doggie diseases until it's 16 weeks of age.

Can your family get ahold of something called Parvaid? It is sold on Amazon, it has and does save lives of puppies with parvo. I have been reading up on it and ordered some last week as we are getting a new addition fairly soon, and I figure it's a good thing to have on hand.

Our childhood dog got parvo and lived to tell about it. It's about 50/50. I will have you know though he was incontinent his entire life and a husky/german shephard mix so his toilet accidents were too big to have in the house. He was an outdoor dog only on a very long run with a heated dog house. It cost us thousands for his puppy parvo treatment. TBH its one of those things I won't fight any way any more other than naturally with something like parvaid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smokey has never left our yard(much less our house) and we didnt know that they took their dog with them until after it already happened. Plus we didnt know parvo at the time since they had told us that the text came back negative on their dogs.
Smokey is current on his shots (& dewormings).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Being current on shots means nothing if the pup is not 2 weeks out from his last puppy shots. Just wanted to clear that up, I don't know how old smokey is, but if he hasn't received his 12 or 14 week booster and 2 weeks time passed, he is NOT protected. The vaccines didn't "fail" in that case. He just was not covered.

Current vaccines in pups under 14-16 weeks of age = not covered. :(

I hope Smokey pulls thru for ya tho.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
But your shoes went everywhere, didn't they? Shoes = not allowed in our house. And shoes are kept where puppies cannot get to them. Shoes carry Parvo and Parvo doesn't "die" easily. Parvo can live in your yard for over a year, same w/ on your shoes. So...that pretty much means he's been exposed to it.

And they ABSOLUTELY are exposed to parvo at the vet's. Your vet should be cleaning every surface your puppy touches and it should be carried. Vets don't like to talk about it, but most parvo is contracted right there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I pray your baby gets better. Talk to the vet about the likelihood of reinfection and clean clean clean. Enlist the help of whomever is willing. We will pray for your baby

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Smokey is 17 weeks old and has never missed a booster and its been 3 weeks since his last shot.
I guess he is one of the cases then where they did fail b'c it sounds like you did everything right. I wanted to clarify the date bit as so many people get confused and think just b'c they've had shots they are covered. I really hope he gets better for you. There are some newer strains of parvo that are being seen too that seem to be resistant to the vaccines, which is really scary. What were the ages of the older sick dogs, btw?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im aware how parvo is spread and yes I know shoes should be taking off, but at that time I didnt know it was parvo.

Thanks everyone for your support.

The other dogs are a few months older then Smokey and none of them had shots either.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think I remember they can't/don't get it again if they survive it? But that another pup is susceptible to it then in your home/yard for around 1 year? I think it's like chicken pox in kids...they don't usually get it 2x.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts