Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am going to try to quit smoking again in the next couple weeks and well I enjoy it and I can't see me quitting for myself but after reading this (going to read it over and over) I think it will make quitting easier as I would do anything for my kids.

Is Your Bad Habit Making Your Pet Sick? | Dogs Naturally Magazine

I am baffled by how many people still smoke. I continue to have pet-loving guardians tell me, “but, I smoke outside, or my spouse smokes outside.” This statement continues to show how naïve people are in regards to the effects on others of second hand smoke. When I review a radiograph of a pet who has a primary lung tumor my heart sinks. This is a needless loss of a beautiful life.

What does your dog do the minute you enter the home? Sniffs you up and down, right? We all know how sensitive their noses are! And, of course there are the little ones who curl up in your lap and lie right on the residue. Then, they groom themselves and eat it. Those of us who do not smoke can smell the lingering residue on a smoker’s clothes or even in their hair! Don’t forget about the household teenager who thinks they are being sneaky and hiding their habit, yet exposing their own beloved pet!

A case-control study of nasal cancer in pet dogs was conducted to test the hypothesis that exposure to environmental tobacco smoke increases risk. The data support an association between environmental tobacco smoke and canine nasal cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 147:488–92.

Passive smoking may increase the risk of malignant lymphoma in cats and (that) further study of this relation in humans is warranted. Am J Epidemiol 2002;156:268–73.

Some inhabitants of homes with smokers have suggested air purifiers to be a solution. I would suggest take great caution with the placement of the air purifier in your home. It is common to place the equipment in a location which actually drags the toxins through the air, across the path of the pet or even near the areas where the pet or family frequent. This actually concentrates the exposure risk. Don’t forget, residues even fall into the pet’s water bowl!

While a smoker is kicking the habit, clothing should be stripped and hair washed upon entering the home. Your pet should not be allowed into the same car where a smoker has been.

If your pet has asthma, sinusitis, a difficult to manage skin condition or anything which is being called an allergy, regard this as a potential pre-cancerous condition and question this pet’s exposure to potential toxins such as second or third hand smoke.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Girlfriend once told me " but I never use my ashtrays in the car, I throw the CIG out the window........ I always thought that was 'funny' as her car smelled awful... like cig. smoke....... not to mention the littering she was doing by throwing the 'butt' out the window.

I hate that my home drive looks like I am a smoker because of all the 'butts' thrown out the window by the road....and I never smoked once...

Cig 'butts' are not biodegrable and one thinks.... CigaretteLitter.Org - The Facts About Cigarette Butts and Litter - Facts

so... thank you for taking the step to quit smoking, I can only imagine its very hard to do.... but then so is dieting and that is the road I am travelling down now.... so lets' hold hands and skip down our separate paths together *hugs*

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Girlfriend once told me " but I never use my ashtrays in the car, I throw the CIG out the window........ I always thought that was 'funny' as her car smelled awful... like cig. smoke....... not to mention the littering she was doing by throwing the 'butt' out the window.

I hate that my home drive looks like I am a smoker because of all the 'butts' thrown out the window by the road....and I never smoked once...

Cig 'butts' are not biodegrable and one thinks.... CigaretteLitter.Org - The Facts About Cigarette Butts and Litter - Facts

so... thank you for taking the step to quit smoking, I can only imagine its very hard to do.... but then so is dieting and that is the road I am travelling down now.... so lets' hold hands and skip down our separate paths together *hugs*
Thanks! I am going to pick up the stop smoking drug next week then you take it for a week then quit. I am scared not going to lie as I enjoy it way too much. It is my break from reality but I will do anything for my kids and after reading that article I can see the need to do it for them. So every day I am going to read that article to help give me the push I need

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You will be fine now you have the motivation. I stopped smoking 3 years ago because i had promised my daughter many years before that I would stop when i turned 40 (she had read some stuff about the risks of heart attacks/strokes etc increasing after 40 and how much worse it is for smokers.)
So when that birthday rolled around she held me to my promise. I probably would never have given up if she hadn't pushed me. It was actually much easier than I expected, so if i can do it so can you.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Good luck haven't been able to kick it yet myself. The stop smoking drug made me sick to my stomach. Started using the blu electric cig and I liked it, just runs out so fast.. Maybe that's sign I smoke entirly too much.. Lol

But i.never smoke in the house !

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I smoke in my car not in my house. In reality I am allergic to smoke LOL but like I said I will do anything for my pups just not myself LOL. It says even them sitting in your lap smelling your clothes can hurt them. This is enough for me to really try to stop.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Drink lots of fruit juice the first few days...it really helps with the cravings and gives your hands something to do...smoking is not only addictive, its habitual...so those hands need to be doing something other than holding a cigarette...good luck...you can do this, you are woman !!!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I quit along time ago... I lost track now of how long its been. but at least 10 years ago, and probably more than that.

I used a hypnotitst and it really worked for me. it was one of those group hypnotist sessions that they often have at hotel conference rooms. it wasn't even my idea to go. a girlfriend of mine wanted to go and asked me if i'd join her. I wasn't very enthused about stopping just yet cause I had just came back from a trip to the carribean and had just brought back many cartons of cigarettes ( they are or were very cheap to buy there duty free ). I wanted to at least finish smoking up my cigarettes first before I quit . hehe. but... this was a good friend of mine that wanted to go and I told her i'd go.

I thru my open pack away on the way in to the hotel conference room. I ended up selling the cartons to another friend for real cheap. and I never had another cigarette again.

my friend , on the other hand , had quit for a short time, but then went back to smoking.

so, the hypnotist works for some and not for others. it really worked for me !!!

Good Luck Christie !!! I know it will be hard , especially at first, but you can do this . I found that for me, it got easier after the first couple weeks

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congratulations! I don't understand people that smoke. How can someone do something that is so bad for themselves and the loved ones around them. I do understand it's an addiction! But it's kind of not fair. If something happens to you, wether it be sickness or ????, it leaves your loved ones having to take care of you or grieving. But, I do know it's hard! So you get a YEAH for trying!

My daughter smokes - I wish she wouldn't - but not when I'm around, which isn't often since she lives in GA, :rolleyes: BUT, she sells It Works products and claims that one of them she is taking has really lessened her cravings for cigarettes!

Good luck to you and Jan! If you have a good support group and a strong will - you CAN make it happen! :)

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations! I don't understand people that smoke. How can someone do something that is so bad for themselves and the loved ones around them. I do understand it's an addiction! But it's kind of not fair. If something happens to you, wether it be sickness or ????, it leaves your loved ones having to take care of you or grieving. But, I do know it's hard! So you get a YEAH for trying!

My daughter smokes - I wish she wouldn't - but not when I'm around, which isn't often since she lives in GA, :rolleyes: BUT, she sells It Works products and claims that one of them she is taking has really lessened her cravings for cigarettes!

Good luck to you and Jan! If you have a good support group and a strong will - you CAN make it happen! :)
Thanks! I started during the young and dumb phase in college. Then I was addicted and I enjoy it. I know that sound weird but it is like an escape from reality when I have a smoke break.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I stopped smoking years ago, but the urges started coming back when my college classes got really hard. I refused to start smoking again cause I just couldn't take the smell and I was worried about Cai. I started vaping with Blu e-cigs but, they do run out quickly (I don't smoke a lot so I knew it was just quality.) I use a vape pen now with e- liquid. If the meds don't work for you, maybe you can try vaping.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Here's the best on incentive.....you will live longer and feel better. Plus, think of all the money you will save which means more money to spoil the fur kids with. I totally support quitting. Best of luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good for you! The willingness to take that 1st step is always the hardest in my opinion. I smoked for 25 years, quit during 2 of my pregnancies because the smell would literally wake me & send me to the bathroom hurling. I also quit 10 years ago for about 5 months. I was diagnosed with asthma 2 years ago & was having to see my pulmonologist every 6 months then, last fall, a week before I had surgery on my neck, my pulmonologist called me to discuss what I could do before surgery to help alleviate any breathing issues after the anesthetic. At that point, I decided to quit because he took the time to call me personally at 7pm on a Friday night & spent a good 30 minutes of his own time talking to me. I started using an e-cig but really only felt the need for it in the car & within a couple of months, I stopped using it. I'm not struggling with asthma as much nor am I using my rescue inhaler as much. Now, if I can get my hubby to quit, everything would be golden. Good luck, you can do it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm trying with those electronic e cigarettes ,but i'm getting a sore throat and a cough now, so will probably try patches or something else.Good luck ,shall be watching you to see how you get on(LOL)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Many people start to cough and get a sore throat after switching from cigarettes to e-cigs. It seems the same thing happens if you were to just quit without using e-cigs. Here is an explanation on that:

Coughing after quitting smoking: What's the deal? - Mayo Clinic

Maybe you can give it another try. Check out this guy on youtube. He uses "adult language" alot, so just a heads up if that sort of thing bothers you. However, he has lots of useful information on his channel and is my go-to guy for questions on e-cigs and vaping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo4D8n59GY&list=UUShPX44-EC3HtvKohu3Ws4A

1 - 20 of 30 Posts