Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two chi's and two cats (indoors). Recently we switched from a all natural cat litter to fresh step litter. We have always had problems keeping the chi's out of the cat box and eating the poo. Since we have switched from the all natural bark litter when I can't prevent my youngest chi from getting into the box he has been puking. I am sure it is because the new litter is not good for him. Unfortunatly this cat litter is awesome and keeps the smell completly out or I would just switch back. Do you have any advice about keeping the doggies out of the cat box so I don't have to switch back? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
can u put the litter box on a higher surface so the chis cant get at it but the cats still can, or in a room where you can stop the chis going - or train them to leave the litter tray by using the no command and treating them when they come away from the tray

cat poo really isnt good for dogs as cat food has much higher protein than is good for dogs(especially chis) delicate digestive systems

my cat (who normally goes to the toilet outside) did a poo behind the curtains once and i hadnt seen it, Twig (aged at the time about 6 months) came along and ate some of it and she was very sick for several days - its really not good for them

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have a cat box that I got from PetSmart a while back that looks like a big storage bin. It has a large hole in the lid, so the cats have to go in it from the top. I still keep it blocked off so the chis can't get to it.
Can you get an x-pen or make a kind of fence to go around the cat box?

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes mylo sometimes eats cats poop from out in our garden, (we dont hav cats but all our neighbours do and they always poop in our garden) its very gross and mylo is often sick from it. i jus make sure i watch him wen hes out in the garden

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Can you try to train your cats to go to a different room that the chi's can't get to? I had this same problem because I had the litterbox in the bathroom and Buster(MY CAT) would meow to be let in the bathroom but with 4 kids one of them was always leaving the door opened so I moved the litterbox in the basement where the chi's do not go. I just kept showing Buster where the litterbox for a few days and now he goes to the basement door and meows to be let down there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have our litter box in the kitchen area and then we have a babygate between the kitchen/dining room (the only entry into the kitchen) so the chi's can't get in there and the cats can. Also we feed our cats in the kitchen and that way the chi's won't eat their food.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys, I think I will try to find another cat box, we never had this problem before because we had the litter maid box that cleans it self...It broke and I can't bring myself to spend another 120.00 on a cat box! I will look around for a box that enters from the top great ideas!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hahahaa! Don't you hate that? Whenever JoJo visits my parents (aka 'summer camp') he always circles the cat's litter box! GROSSES ME OUT! :X I was telling the guy at the Dog Bakery about it and he said that dogs are attracted to it because it's salty.. not sure how he knew that..

·
Registered
93 Posts
My lil' guy tried that for a bit, but I used the "No" command, and praised him when he left it alone and came away. Now he has pretty well figured out that getting into the litter box makes Mamma angry, so he steers clear. Hope you're able to solve the problem! :D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Somewhere I read that if an animal takes a long time to digest its meal, it gets more of the nutrients, but it has to lug that extra weight around in its gut for a long time. A cat is stripped down for action and its meals move through pretty fast, but it passes out a lot of 'good' stuff. I think that's what attracts a dog. It may be stinky to us but a banquet to an opportunistic feeder like a dog.

How is it we can love such gross little beasties? We do, though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No kidding, they have gotten pretty good at hiding it because I havent caught them in a while. Still looking for a cheaper cat box too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
249 Posts
We puy our litter box in the basement & Chica is too scared to go down there by herself, but we put the cat food in a room w/ a door chain to keep the dogs out, I put the dustbuster on the floor in the door crack. The cats slide in, but Chica won't climb over the dustbuster to get in the room. In other words obstacles work wonders on deterring the little scamps! Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts