Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh oh! First time I have EVER seen Chachi do this. We went to obedience tonight like we have for the past 2 weeks and I had him in my arms as a girl was petting him. When people want to pet him, I always say one at a time and to start off under the chin. Also, I do not coddle Chachi..I make him 'live on the ground' for the most part..but I was holding him because I was also talking to a lady who has a great dane. This dane is a puppy and I realize in play could have hurt Chachi if he was on the ground. SO....having said this...

The young girl was petting him and out of the blue..he snapped at her. No growling/barking..just snapped. And he did it again with a man later on. First time he has EVER done this and he has been pet by many people..young and old!

I told the trainer and she asked how I reacted. I said..I said, NO. and WOULD have put him on the ground (were it not for our playful great dane pal). She told me this was the right thing to do...but I figured I'd ask if any of you have any suggestions or input as to why my dog might have lashed out for the first time ever?! Or what I can do to stop it? Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing...(bragging rights)

Rainy night her tonight, so only 5 people/dogs showed up to class: a great dane, a shepherd , 2 labs and my chihuahua. We had to do an exercise for the most amount of 'push-ups' for a single treat reward. In other words...see how many sit, down and stand they would do in a row for one treat @ the end.

Chachi kicked the big dogs' bums! He did 42 in a row (the closest to him was 24)

:) Can ya tell he's food motivated? He got a bag of treats for doin' so well.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's hard to say. He might have felt the people were too close to his Mommy or he might have been a bit tired or cranky. Marcus is much friendlier if he is on the ground or on a table or something than he is when I am holding him.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Tinker said:
It's hard to say. He might have felt the people were too close to his Mommy or he might have been a bit tired or cranky. Marcus is much friendlier if he is on the ground or on a table or something than he is when I am holding him.

mine are exactly like that !! with stangers they would snap if i was holding them .if i put them on the ground ..they are as friendly as can be :?
so it's a pure protection thing

kisses nat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts