Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a snorter here too lol. I think it has something to do with their trachea. I have heard its common. It's kind of embarrassing, isn't it?
Hahaha! I call him my little pig because it sounds like a baby piglets oinks!

Google reverse sneezing. See if you can find a video of it. Does it sound like that? If so, it is perfectly normal in Chis when they get excited or over exerted.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
That is what it sounds like. It scares me sometimes cause it almost seems like he can't breath! But I rub his neck and make him relax a bit and he just smiles at me after. :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yeah, that is most likely reverse sneezing. Gemma does it every day. She most often does it after she drinks water too fast or when she's really excited. Sometimes she'll just do it out of nowhere while she's laying around, too. I just gently stroke her throat and it seems to help calm her down.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
It is most likely reverse sneezing, which is nothing to worry about. It is often confused with a collapsed trachea, which is serious. They are two separate things- reverse sneezing is a spasm in the throat.

I cover my dogs nostrils so they have to swallow or stroke their throats. That usually stops it. We call it "snorkeling" at my house.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is most likely reverse sneezing, which is nothing to worry about. It is often confused with a collapsed trachea, which is serious. They are two separate things- reverse sneezing is a spasm in the throat.

I cover my dogs nostrils so they have to swallow or stroke their throats. That usually stops it. We call it "snorkeling" at my house.
How can you tell the difference in the two? I'm 100% sure he is reverse sneezing but just in case how do you know when its a collapsed trachea?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Chica does this too, when she's excited or drinks too fast. Even though it can be scary at first (since it seems like they can't breath!), our vet said it's nothing to worry about, and that it's a common issue in chis and certain other small breed dogs. He told us to gently massage her throat, which will cause her to swallow and resolve the spasm. It works every time! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.