Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the backup... Tico takes a couple minutes to warm up to people he doesn't know. If anyone just reaches out for him, he gets upset and will growl at them to warm them to stay away. Expecially old men. He doesn't do this at all with kids, and only sometimes with women. So... going in for the 10-15 minute vaccine appointment doesn't go over well with him.
We were scheduled for 11am this morning - and our vet is located inside PetSmart. So there were quite a few people and other dogs (which doesn't really have a problem with) shopping. By the time we got thru the store and checked into our exam room, he was already pretty anxious. We had the same nurse who we saw last time and she tried to have him warm up to her for a couple minutes down on the floor - which he was doing pretty good with her. Then she picked him up and he flipped out and ended up nipping at her. So she then went to get the Dr (old scary looking man) and he insists on putting a muzzle on him. The nurse takes his temp and it's at 104 degrees from him being so worked up by this time, and the Dr will not give him the shots because that's too high!
Before anyone suggests to look for another vet office; I signed up for their puppy 1 year plan that includes all the first year costs and nuteur. AND... I've already changed from one of their other locations that was so busy you couldn't hardly make an appointment for shots less than two week in advance, 30 minutes further away from this one we switched to and had no grass or landscaping to pee in (but the staff had no issue dealing with scared puppies!) .

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I wish I could give you advice on this. Chico snapped at every vet until I found Dr Applebaum and now he goes right to him every time (even after getting shots). Maybe you could try holding him while they do the exam, that's what I do if I get to stay for the visit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts