Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got home from the pet store. There were NO small dogs...just a ton of people and a ton of REALLY big dogs. I feel like Miya is never gonna get to play with any other chi's or small dogs...really bummed

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It is interesting because many Chis think that they are big dogs.

Ruby went to school today and in this session, the dogs were all MUCH larger than her. We even had a Bull Mastiff-so Ruby representing for the AKC smallest breed and Diamond (that was her name) representing AKC's largest. I decided that it was even better for her that she get accustomed to being around bigger dogs.

That said, she has 2 sisters her size to play with every day...hmmm...I think someone may need a sister! ha!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh! I was also going to suggest you create a small dog play group in your area. Advertise for a meetup in the paper, community website or even craigslist.

·
Registered
464 Posts
my dog sissy is timid and scared of anybody new. :( its hard to socialize her. i had a dog meetup in which she got along with another persons dog but the group didn't last long. it's hard to socialize especially for me with ptsd. but keep trying. look for dog meetups on meetup.com i bet there are probably a lot of small dog groups where u are

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am an organizer of a "small dog" playgroup in the area. We have a chi bday party next weekend, about an hour away..still the chi's are 9lbs..which is wonderful, she'll be able to play. I would love to get another pup! Absolutely love it. But I can't. My husband is in the military and I am getting ready to go in. We have spent most of our military lives in Europe and Asia. Unfortunately, we' re limited to the number of animals we can have travel with us. Taji and Miya are the limit.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have been going through the same thing.

Since Jaxx was attacked on Christmas day he tries to run away anytime we see other dogs. I don't pick him up and we still walk by the dogs but you can tell he is scared out of his wits.

I have been looking for dog meetups in my area but unfortunately the closest ones I can find are two hours away.

I have thought about going and asking some of our neighbors with dogs if he could socialize with them but, the only neighbor that I know that has a dog that is around in the daytime is the neighbor whose dogs attacked Jaxx and she says they do not like any other dogs.

I have tried Meetup.com and calling the pet stores, and vets in the area but unfortunately I have not been able to find any socialization for Jaxx.

There is a AKC obedience training coming up in our town that I have thought about enrolling Jaxx into but I would really like to get him so he is not afraid of dogs before I do that.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i even put an ad on craigslist. I was reluctant to do that because there are so many crazies out there. I got 3 replies, and I wrote back asking any of them if they were on facebook and no one responded :( I must have missed the post about jaxx being attacked! What happened, was it a big dog? I would ask if he's okay but obviously he is physically ok. I'm so sorry that happened!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I feel bad for our little one too- our adult dog is 22lbs (over 4x her weight) and they do play a lot but I think she could really have a great time with somebody her size. In our puppy class there was a good mix of sizes but she really got along best with a dalmatian and would play with him more than the smaller dogs in the class during socializing time. It was actually kind of nice because she did seem to realize how much bigger he was and has learned how it is appropriate to act around all sized of dogs.

I am hoping once we start trialing in agility we will meet some littler dogs to hang out with. I mean everyone in the 8" class has to be pretty small- right? Las Vegas is filled with too many really irresponsible dog owners for me to feel good just finding people on craigslist or meetup.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
i even put an ad on craigslist. I was reluctant to do that because there are so many crazies out there. I got 3 replies, and I wrote back asking any of them if they were on facebook and no one responded :( I must have missed the post about jaxx being attacked! What happened, was it a big dog? I would ask if he's okay but obviously he is physically ok. I'm so sorry that happened!
I was walking Jaxx on Christmas night. We went to take his poopy bag to throw it away (our apartment complex has the areas with bags and a disposal especially for dog messings at every complex so we went to the one we always go to at night). One of my neighbors has a large dog and a over sized dachshund. Unfortunately, the neighbor did not have either one of their dogs on a leash but I could not see that because it was dark. When we got close her dogs went right for Jaxx. Thankfully he did not get hurt physically although I feel bad because of the way I grabbed him by the leash to pull him up but thankfully I use a harness on him. The neighbor blamed me for her dogs not being on a leash and being out of control (like I was supposed to know that her dogs did not like any other dog and would attack.) The real damage is that he is scared of all dogs now. I think he really needs socialization to get over it but I have not found any groups here in Tyler.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you raise hell with your leasing office? lol I have anger issues, I might've put a brick thru her windshield if she accused me of such...lol again, anger! I'm so thankful jaxx is ok!! that stupid lady. My neighbor always walks his dog without a leash. They are the sweetest pups, but other people complain. I never understood why. However, if I knew my dog wasn't friendly, it would def be on a leash

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I did have a LONG discussion with the leasing office, it covered that mainly then I went on to complain that there are so many people in our apartment complex that do not pick up after their dogs. I think they knew I was very upset by the time I left their office.

I am the same way if I had one dog let alone two that I knew did not get along with people or animals I would definitely keep them on a leash anytime I had them outside. I keep Jaxx on a leash all the time we are outside (unless he is in my arms) because our apartment complex requires all dogs to be on a leash unless they are in the puppy park the apartment complex has (and I still keep Jaxx on a leash in the puppy park sometimes because the gate is designed for bigger dogs and Jaxx could slip through the gate with ease.)

I am just glad that he did not get physically hurt but I wish that the incident had not affected him emotionally. Hopefully soon he will get over his fear of other dogs.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Do you think some dogs are quick to pounce on Chi's because of how small they are ?

My mom has two West Highland White Terriers and I took Mimi with me
to her house on Christmas because I was not going to leave her with
anyone else. ( she is a rescue ) My mom's dogs are not "big" dogs
but they stalked Mimi the whole time we were there. I tried letting
them smell her, once when I put Mimi down on the floor beside me
the other two leaped on her and even though they did not bite her,
one had a paw on her as if to hold her down....and I freaked out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts