Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foxxy is still having problems with her tummy. On Christmas Eve, I took her in because she had a bit of jelly poop along with normal looking stool(Unexplained, since she had only been eating her Wellness Simple and Natural Balance Duck sausage). He gave her Metronidazole and she was better. On New Year's Eve, she throws. She was fine after she threw up and had a normal stool. I thought maybe some debris or something irritated her. Two days into the new year, she has some of that same jelly poop. I was out of town so my parents let her be and they said the jelly stopped. They did however add boiled chicken to the dry food to make sure that she ate, as she is really skinny. I just got back and this morning and once again normal stool, but then straining and jelly at the end. She seemed a little lethargic and now she's better asking for food. She doesn't really want her regular kibble, so she just ate the Natural Balance sausage thing I mush up and mix with the kibble. I had some Taste of the Wild, she sometimes eats this when she visits her chihuahua friend, and gave her a few pieces.

I seriously don't know what to do. I feel like this is totally taking over my life and I feel that maybe my own anxiety might be a contributing factor. I was going to go in to the vet and ask that they do some blood work and maybe a stool analysis...I just don't know how much that will tell me.

Foxxy is only 2 years old. She used to eat everything that we ate, minus the fat, chocolate etc and was fine. Now she's eating a more consistent diet and continues to get sick. I hate to see her like this. If anyone can guide me it would truly be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
It kind of sounds like colitis that I know people get and I would imagine dogs do as well ~ just because you are describing it as jelly like poop. I would think possibly colitis, obviously I don't know but I am trying to give you something you are able to google and see if the symptoms are similar so you can discuss it with your vet. I notice you mention Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, both could be a little hectic in someone's home, usually normal routines change on the holiday and colitis can be triggered by stress...you being out of town could have stressed her.

Maybe even possibly an ulcer.

Did she possibly eat a piece of tinsel from a holiday decoration. I know a single piece of tinsel can cause all sorts of problems in an animal. For that fact could she have ingested anything that she hasn't been able to pass and is causing her a problem?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I can totally understand your frustration and I'm sure someone on here can help with the jellied-poop. I would get her on a better food. For now, I would add a little plain yogurt to her food to help with digestion. Natural Balance Duck Sausage sounds like it might be too greasy for your chi's stomach. There are much better foods out there and so many chis are having health issues with the grains in these cheaper foods. You can go to the nutrition section and find a list of 5-star foods. I personally use ZP and The Honest Kitchen.
Don't know if a food change will make your chi completely better, but I do know that you will see a marketable improvement. Sounds like there might be something else going on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure does sound like colitis..the only exclusion might be that she does not have full on diarrhea. Her initial stool is firm and as she strains...jelly :( I was thinking it might be a grain allergy, which is why I gave her some Taste of the Wild bits of kibble. I am totally shooting the dark. Today she ate her Wellness with a bit of boiled chicken mixed in. The problem is I can't get her to eat dog food. She is way too skinny not to eat so...here I am again stuck.

I think yogurt might be a good idea but I am so scared to try anything new. I put her back on Metronidazole while I try to figure out other ways to stabilize that little 4.4 lb body of hers.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
It sure does sound like colitis..the only exclusion might be that she does not have full on diarrhea. Her initial stool is firm and as she strains...jelly :( I was thinking it might be a grain allergy, which is why I gave her some Taste of the Wild bits of kibble. I am totally shooting the dark. Today she ate her Wellness with a bit of boiled chicken mixed in. The problem is I can't get her to eat dog food. She is way too skinny not to eat so...here I am again stuck.

I think yogurt might be a good idea but I am so scared to try anything new. I put her back on Metronidazole while I try to figure out other ways to stabilize that little 4.4 lb body of hers.
Hi there. I'm new here and don't know much so I could be way off, but you mentioned grain allergy. I just took Lulu to a vet that specializes in food intolerances, and he believes dogs should eat gluten-free foods. Wellness has one--Wellness Core. I googled it and it says it's formulted similar to the raw food diet. I saw stomach ulcer mentioned earlier and I know there is a medication for that. It starts with a "C" but I can't think of the name of it (I can find out if you want me to). The vet just put our Maltese on it 3 weeks ago for vomiting. Also, google metronidazole. Our vet put our Maltese on that also and I have talked to two other vets that say it is great for stomach issues, but I did not like the possible side effects of long term use. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there. I'm new here and don't know much so I could be way off, but you mentioned grain allergy. I just took Lulu to a vet that specializes in food intolerances, and he believes dogs should eat gluten-free foods. Wellness has one--Wellness Core. I googled it and it says it's formulted similar to the raw food diet. I saw stomach ulcer mentioned earlier and I know there is a medication for that. It starts with a "C" but I can't think of the name of it (I can find out if you want me to). The vet just put our Maltese on it 3 weeks ago for vomiting. Also, google metronidazole. Our vet put our Maltese on that also and I have talked to two other vets that say it is great for stomach issues, but I did not like the possible side effects of long term use. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, what are the long term side effects of Metronidazole? How would I know if there is an ulcer? If you could give me the name of the "C" medication, that would also be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about wellness core...and i think i will try it but I still can't get her to eat what she's supposed to eat. I am lucky if i can get her to eat like 10 pieces of kibble. Right now I mash her kibble into a powder and mix it with chicken or natural balance duck sausage just so that it sticks to the kibble and she eats it. I wish I knew of a nutritionist, I would be more than happy to make her food...I just want a healthy puppy.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I will call my vet Monday and ask them the name of that medication they gave our Maltese for vomiting. It was not given to her for stomach ulcer, but when I googled it that is what the internet said it was mostly used for. I really don't know how a doctor determines a stomach ulcer because the vet did not mention that with our dog they just gave us the medicine used to treat it. I looked online real quick and if you put "Metronidazole for dogs" in the search engine you can read the whole thing, but some of the side effects are neurological--tremors, head-tilt, seizures, depression, etc. Symptoms start showing up after 7-12 days of use. I'm not saying this would definitely happen--it could be like any other drug, every rare occurance has to be documented--I'm just saying I read it and it bothered me personally. When we first got our Maltese she was an extremely picky eater that didn't even weigh 2lbs. so I know how you feel about just getting her to eat. She LOVED scrambled egg and chicken and rice and the vet said both of those are OK, but I don't know what that would do for your stomach issues. I wish I could be of more help. Will get back with you on medicine name

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Could the drug you are thinking of be Carafate? You give it to people in the hospital for ulcers.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Ugh. Well, I WISH that I could not relate but I can. Hope came to us with soft stools. Changed her food and then exactly as you describe here. Diagnosed with Chronic Colitis. The folks here for some time can remember my MONTHS of concern, vet visits, late nights, ER vet visits and panic!

Sounds classic colitis to me. Need to calm the tummy straight away. The gel is what the body produces to attempt to coat or protect inflamed GI tracts.

I'd offer her a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed with shredded cooked chicken breast and warm water. I was given the advice to add rice and when I did, it made it worse. She threw up yogurt.

After 4 months of these cycles, tons of research and changing food carefully, it is clear. Hope cannot tolerate grain (too tough on her body for me to determine which ones so we eliminated all) BUT she also cannot eat kibble nor canned food. Not even 5 star. Girl just cannot manage processed food.

So, I sloooooowly added a square of ZP (air dried raw, minimally processed) into her chicken/pumpkin and then Pedialyte rather than water meals until the mixture was all ZP with water.

Have not had an episode since March of last year!! So, raw snacks as well and I watch her like a hawk since we go places where people want to offer dogs snacks. It is a no. I am so cautious still trying things because I remember what she-and I-went through those months.

So, I'd say that something in your baby's food is an issue. I'd try the chicken and pumpkin thing and see how she does. I'd slowly introduce 1 food back at a time so that you can see and better know which it might be to find the offending mix or ingredient.

Things like duck and lamb are too rich for Hope. Her tolerated meat sources thus far are turkey, chicken, venison and beef. Since she continued to gain and grow and is a healthy girl, I can live with that!

I wish you all the best as you get this sorted. Please feel free to message me if I can help further. I have good record keeping!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, if you want to read any of my year old posts about this, I just entered this:
jesuschick yellow mucous
in the search box and allllll my posts appeared!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Mucus in the stool USUALLY means irritation, or colitis. I would go with something like ziwipeak or Stella & chewies or another grain free food. Swiching around foods is upsetting, so try and stick to a food. If you use a premade raw, you could soak the kibble in chicken broth if you like. Has your vet tried anything other than Metrodiazole? Carafate, is a coating substance. My chi has eating problems to the extent that she vomits from an empty stomach! She just won't eat. She is on Pepsid from the vet. I know she isn't skinny by any means, and I try not to be worried about the occasional vomiting of bile. Good luck with this pup! Sue

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just sent ZP an email. Hopefully they send me a sample. Now with the pre-made raw foods...is it really RAW?? what about them getting sick? They also must eat it right away, right? I'm sorry if I sound kind of ignorant but I am just getting in to researching these companies. So far, I like THK but am a little uncomfortable with the whole alfalfa sprouts and going bad quickly. Does anyone cook for their dog or is that too complicated? If you can tell me more...I'm ALL ears.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Could the drug you are thinking of be Carafate? You give it to people in the hospital for ulcers.
I'm not sure. I'm going to call the vet Monday and ask them to tell me what medicine they gave our Maltese, Gidget, for vomiting--not to stop the nausea, I know that one--but to coat the stomach and heal it. I just can't remember the name and when we used it up I threw away the bottle.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I just sent ZP an email. Hopefully they send me a sample. Now with the pre-made raw foods...is it really RAW?? what about them getting sick? They also must eat it right away, right? I'm sorry if I sound kind of ignorant but I am just getting in to researching these companies. So far, I like THK but am a little uncomfortable with the whole alfalfa sprouts and going bad quickly. Does anyone cook for their dog or is that too complicated? If you can tell me more...I'm ALL ears.
The samples may be over. I just noticed that all the places from which I order their food now all happen to have the trial packs listed for sale. I think $9.99. I hope not and that they will send you a bag.

Yes, it is raw.

I am not certain quite what you are asking in terms of being used quickly so I may not at all be answering what you are asking.

If you are asking about the bag expiring, mine that I have now are dated for many months, I think over a year.

If you are asking about them eating it, my girls eat theirs twice a day and it takes them not even 5 minutes to gulp it down. They LOVE it. So, it does not sit around all day.

Cooking their meals seems easy but ensuring that they are absorbing all they need is complicated. Cooking reduces the nutritional value, unless blended well they will not get nutrients from things like fruits and vegetables and you will need to add supplements including oils and calcium. It can be done.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Cooking their meals seems easy but ensuring that they are absorbing all they need is complicated. Cooking reduces the nutritional value, unless blended well they will not get nutrients from things like fruits and vegetables and you will need to add supplements including oils and calcium. It can be done.
Hi there. My name is Tina, and my 4 yr. old chi is Lulu. We just joined this forum and LOVE it. I was searching the internet for answers to a health problem she was having that she has been treated for and is OK when I found this site. I said all that to say--the vet I took her to was new to me and specializes in food intolerance and feeding your animals healthy. Then I have noticed on this site so many people feeding their chi foods other than traditional kibble. I feel like such a bad chi-mamma that I have fed her kibble all these years even though it has been "good" food. I am going to research the past threads for how to change her food, but I am thinking I am going to start feeding her boiled chicken breast, english peas, raw carrots, an apple slice. Also start glucosamine, vitamin D3, C, & B-complex. If you have any suggestions I would appreciated them, you sound like you really know alot.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There is an awesome dog food forum called dogfoodchat.com that you might be able to search for others with similar problems and there's a few nutritional experts there. The majority on there do however support a prey model raw diet. Which probably would be good for her; and much cheaper than feeding ZP. That said I have nothing against Ziwipeak and I do believe it's the 2nd best thing that one can feed their dog. It's just a step below prey model IMO. Since we have a pack of 5 though, prey model is what we use. Basically just mimics the makeup of a prey animal; 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. A raw diet has been the solution to MANY dog digestive problems. I could ramble about it forever; but there is a raw section here with some stickies that already say everything I would want to, LOL.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
She may not be eating because she is nauseous. I would discuss it with the vet. If that'sthe problem the Carafate would help. Normally it's given 15 to thirty minutes before meals and it sort of coats the stomach, making it more comfortable to eat. I have used it both on ferrets with ulcers and I've had it myself. Warning though it can cause constipation. But it feels wonderful on your tummy and reallybhelps with the nausea and pain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts