Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so angry and frustrated with these pups right now! I really thought things were going well and we were making great progress in the potty training department. Every day I've been letting them have a little more freedom in the house. It's been quite awhile since we had any accidents. I don't have the time to watch these guys like a hawk so I was so happy that they were getting to the point that I could trust them. I have 3 different areas in my house where I keep pee pads for them so they never have to go far. Well, this morning one of them decided that it was too far to go the extra 10 feet to the pad and there was both a poo and pee spot in the corner of the living room behind the recliner. I am so mad at this. I have no idea which one did it. I don't know what to do. I feel bad keeping them both locked up, but since I don't know who did it, it can't be helped. I so badly do not want to go back to square one. Urgh! So frustrated!!:foxes15:

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
How many rooms do they get ? i think if it were me i would cut them back to just one room for now. the main room you are in most of the time. probably the living room? or the living room and the kitchen. but not the whole house yet. they are still puppies ... so just be patient :) . ( also make sure to scrub the area you found the pee and poo on or they will wnat to continue to go in that spot)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were getting the run of the downstairs which is living room, kitchen and computer room. I spend most of my time in the computer room. There just isn't a whole lot of floor space in there. The room isn't that large and is full of computer desks. I can block it off so that they have to be in there with me, but the way the house is laid out, I won't be able to block them in any other area of the house. Like if I'm in the living room, there is no way to keep them in there with me, it's all open to the kitchen and then upstairs which I don't allow them to go up there. I cleaned the mess up well and used natures miracle so hopefully they won't go there again. I am so bummed.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Take a deep breath----repeat after me, "I know this is a setback, but things WILL get better."

My old boss a MD used to say 'the worse medicine I can prescribe is Tincture of Time". So that is what I prescribe. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup, we have had to go back the way after our move.......things are slowly getting better, but patience certainly is a virtue.......I sometimes think mine is going to run out!! I do remind myself that this is my issue though and not the dogs. It will get better.........oh, these chihuahuas!! Lol xx

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Take a deep breath----repeat after me, "I know this is a setback, but things WILL get better."

My old boss a MD used to say 'the worse medicine I can prescribe is Tincture of Time". So that is what I prescribe. Good luck.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Unlike human babies who get to wear diapers, chis often forget they're not supposed to do their business on mommies floor. If you have a yard, can't you take them out every couple of hours? Just think how long potty training last with a human baby--a lot longer! They'll get it, but remember to praise them when you catch them going in the "right place" even outside too!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Jennifer, don't worry. You are not alone. Gemma is 8 months now and I am trying to get rid of her pad in the bedroom and only have the one that's in the living room. I am keeping the bedroom door closed during the day, and she gets confused when she runs up to the bedroom door and realizes she can't get in to go potty. She tries to go on a nearby rug instead, usually in the kitchen. I spied on her tonight after she ate dinner to watch what she did, and she ran to the bedroom door as usual, turned around, and went into the kitchen and began to squat on the rug. I stopped her before she got more than a drop out, but it is so frustrating that after 6 months, I still can't 100% trust her. If the bedroom door is open, she will never ever use a rug. She's just confused because now her routine is changed.

I share your pain, but I know it's not a hopeless situation. Khorra and Dakota, like Gemma, just need more training and they WILL get it. Relax and know that you are doing a good job! If these accidents keep occurring, I would also suggest cutting them back to just one room when you can't watch them, like the computer room since you're in there most of the time.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx still had a few accidents up until probably 8 months but then it seemed like a switch was turned on and Jaxx just got it. The first time I left him alone for more than 5 hours I was sure he would have at least peed or pood but to my surprise he was an angel.
Have faith it will happen it just takes patience and time and persistence.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just worried that if they potty somewhere on the carpet and don't get corrected right away, which wasn't done because I didn't see it happen, then they are going to think it's ok to go on the carpet whenever they don't feel like going the extra couple of feet to the pee pad. They've had a few accidents right next to the pee pad but I didn't worry about that. I just figured they were hanging off the pad. But this wasn't anywhere near a pad. I'm worried we have taken a major step back.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm just worried that if they potty somewhere on the carpet and don't get corrected right away, which wasn't done because I didn't see it happen, then they are going to think it's ok to go on the carpet whenever they don't feel like going the extra couple of feet to the pee pad. They've had a few accidents right next to the pee pad but I didn't worry about that. I just figured they were hanging off the pad. But this wasn't anywhere near a pad. I'm worried we have taken a major step back.
Don't stress it. They're not going backwards unless you completely ignore your potty training methods. You are trying. Slip ups happen, they are to be expected. We can't catch them EVERY time. If the accidents keep occurring, I would keep them confined to one small area until I was available to 100% supervise them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts