Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday afternoon I found a pit bull in my backyard looking at Chip...I leashed him and took him into my garage because the grandparents were out of town. I tried all day to find him a foster home...called every pit bull rescue in Indy, called the rescue I volunteer for, called my vet, called friends, etc. I only found ONE woman willing to foster and she led me to believe she would be picking him up tonight...and then this morning she told me I needed to take him to the shelter and she would try and get him in four days.

The issue is he won't have four days once he's taken there...the shelters aren't pit-friendly. I am in a lot of trouble for having him in the garage...my boyfriend's grandpa is giving me the cold shoulder and pretty much proving that maturity and age are not related at all.

I have to have him gone tonight...my vet offered to let him stay IF I paid for an exam and the shots needed (rabies + DHPP + bordatella), but that equals about 150$ and I don't have that to spend on him right now. Even then, he could ONLY stay for one night...I got in trouble at work 3 times today for being on the phone because I was calling so many people. I put up ads on Craigslist asking for fosters and have e-mailed a random rescue that put up an ad saying they had spaces available for small breeds BEGGING them to keep him for just four days...I offered to pay for gas, food, toys, bedding, etc., whatever they need, and that if they can wait for the half-price wellness clinic on Wednesday, I would pay for his vet bills...the other forum I'm on said "well you're just assuming your grandparents won't let you keep him" and yes I did, but I only got to keep him overnight because I swore he'd be out tonight...at this point if he's not out I think I'm going to have to pack up my clothes for work tomorrow and take the pit and spend the night in my mom's driveway...she can't keep him at her house either and I don't have an extra crate.

ANYWAY, someone did e-mail me saying "hi very interested need a good dog please call me" with their number and against my better judgment, I called him...every piece of intuition in my body is screaming don't let him go to some random couple off Craigslist...so should I let him go to these people or pack him in my car and stay in my mom's driveway?

Mitch (boyfriend) keeps telling me to call back the supposed foster mom again but I am so furious with her I don't know what will happen...I mean #1 what sort of rescue tells you to take the animal to the shelter and says they'll go get him in 4 days and #2, she told us earlier she wasn't able to help outside of providing a crate and I'd have to come get it because she was "too busy", which is her other reason for not taking him.

I am emotionally exhausted and have been crying all day...I feel like I am failing this dog and am terrified he will go to another bad home. I am not interested in keeping him but I REALLY need a foster...I have 3 1/2 hours left. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ugh...the couple interested just called to say they are no longer interested. This poor dog...I don't know what to do. If someone else of Craigslist wants him, should I go for it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A family just called saying they need money to pay their gas bill and that they will keep him for the four days if I give them like 50$...they would have him outside but would keep him in at night...

·
Registered
809 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good idea. You paying them $50 for them to keep him for 4 days... If you did that I wouldn't be surprised if they called tomorrow to say that they can't keep him after all or after 4 days you went to get him and he "had escaped" and was gone.

I would grit my teeth and take him to the shelter. They have to keep him for so many days since he was a stray and that may be enough time for the foster person to be able to get him (at least that's how most shelters work, unless pit bulls are banned in your city then they might just euthanize immediately).

This may not be a popular opinion but there are worse things out there than a humane death. What if you gave him to a random person without being able to really check them out and it turned out to be a fighting ring? That would be a much worse life than if he had been euthanized at a shelter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I often hear horrible Craigslist stories..! I think its important to find out as much as you can on these people and maybe even offer to take the dog to them. If you feel uncomfortable at all just inform them that you have changed your mind. Whats the worse than can do besides be upset.
**Note not all Craigslist buyers are bad owners. I got my little Zoey off of Crigslist and I love her to the fullest. I was lucky enough to get her from a Chi. lover who has now become a good friend. We exchange pictures often ((she kept one of the puppys)).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have somewhat good news...two people have called me saying they foster pit bulls...one had to leave a v-mail and I will call her back. That person said she has been fostering for two years. Another person I have been talking to for about 10 minutes says she has 4 of her own and at one point had 12...she said "there is always a way to work with a pit bull" when I asked what she would do with problems.

Should I call the woman who left the v-mail, speak with her, and then decide between them???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the first couple better...they do have kids though. They said they can pick him up tonight and that they have been considering fostering for about a month and recently offered to take in a few of their friend's fosters, but saw my ad and decided to wait.

They do not feed great food but Chip's foster mom truly cared about her dogs and they were fed Dog Chow so I do not want to judge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is a link.. Pit Bull Chat I have been a member for a long time.. they may be able to find you a reputable rescue, and not just any stranger from Craigs List.

I also have a breeder friend in your state. Her name is Elizabeth.. her website is
Chocolate Red Nose American Pit Bull Terriers she isn't a rescue, although I think she has taken in dogs.. but she may be able to point you in the right direction.
She would know my kennel name as Hypercane Kennels ;)
(I am not a breeder, btw--too many in the shelter)

I've owned the breed for years.. I am in the sport of weight pulling. They are great working dogs in the right hands..

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Kathleen

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Kathleen- thank you so much for the link. At this point, his grandma just said "you had better get it out soon." so I don't think I have enough time for that site, but it seems like the people meeting me don't mind if I take him back and put him in the hands of an actual rescue in a few days.

This woman's name is also Elizabeth, but the phone number listed is different and they said they don't breed. I really hope that this is the right choice.

I am getting extremely irritated with his grandparents. They are acting like children...I can't stand people who are so selfish that they can't have a homeless animal in their garage for a single night without getting crappy and giving someone 45 years younger than them the cold shoulder. Proverbs 12:10...they have seriously proved just ridiculous they truly are. It's unfortunate that they have dogs, honestly.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My gut feeling is the same as omguthrie. I would take him to the shelter. At least you know he would be safe, have food and water and basic needs. I am afraid of anyone on craiglist who says they would take him. I can just see him being used as a bait dog for a dog fighting ring. Or worse. And there are worse things. :(

My vote is the shelter.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I agree.. I would take him to the shelter. At least a shelter is able to screen potential adopters, and he will have food/water/shelter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Brodysmom is right...he could wind up in a veritable hell. At least if he is euthed at the shelter he won't die in agony. This can be a hateful world for "dangerous" breeds sometimes - my sister has Pits, and I'm a former Dobie owner, so I know from whence I speak. It's obvious you're tying yourself in knots trying to do the right thing, and bless your heart for that - you are a more patient person than I am; I'd be putting some tramadol in Granny and Grandy's brandy to quiet them down!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I met the couple who offered to take him and my gut told me they are alright people. They educated me on him, and unfortunately I also learned that he was either used for attacking or fighting...every time the husband stared at the dog, Gus started making horrible noises and would lunge at him. He didn't care about their kids one way or another, but he made it very clear that if he were to be taken to the shelter, he would not last a full 24 hours. Gus reacted with the husband in a way that was seriously scary...and then he would come back to me and lean into me and want to be petted. He did fine with the wife. Gus also seemed to have a problem with my boyfriend (he would try and stare Mitch down), so they said they think he was trained to hate males and is male-aggressive. None of us trusted him enough to put him in the back of the van with their kids, so Mitch and I will be following them back to their home here in about 20 minutes.

I am getting him back in 4 days- and I will get to see the conditions of their other dogs. I have their names, numbers, and address, so if nothing else, I WILL call the police if I don't get him back.

My issue with the euth is that I worked at a vet's office when I was 13-15 and I saw way too many euthanizations, and none of them were pleasant...the dogs would yelp and writhe around and would literally looked panicked until their brain stopped working unless they were very ill and tired to begin with.

I wish I had seen your replies before this, though...I WOULD have weighed out the shelter more. Those people did stay here for 2 hours talking with me about him and explained that with a LOT of work, he could be rehab'd. They said that a shelter WOULD take him, but once they began temperament testing they would decide he wasn't fit for rescue and would put him down.

I hope none of you think less of me for this :( If I get there and don't like what I see, I will be taking him back...and I guess I'll sleep in my mom's driveway :|

·
Registered
809 Posts
You made a decision that you felt was right.

The only caution I would add is that if you adopt him out, knowing that he is aggressive, and he injures someone, then it can come back to bite you in the butt in the form of a lawsuit. There is honestly a reason that a shelter temperament tests and euthanizes dogs that are aggressive... it just isn't safe to adopt them out. They don't do it because they like it, they do it because it's the best thing for the public and the dog.

Most rescue groups are very hesitant to take in dogs with aggression problems so it may be difficult to find a rescue for him.

It is very worrisome to me that all of you were too afraid of him to put him in the van with the family... where is he going to stay at their house? Are they going to be able to interact with him at all?

Concerning euthanasia... I was a vet tech for years (as an adult) and witnessed many euthanasias, of both sick and not sick animals, and I never saw a single one yelp and writhe around. I'm not sure how the ones you saw were done but it doesn't sound right. They should just immediately close their eyes, go to sleep, and pass away. Not sure how old you are now but could it have been a young teenagers perspective, and not entirely accurate, in your memory? I don't want people to think that euthanasia is a terrible thing. Like we said, there are much worse things than a quick, humane death.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If you already answered this question I apologize..

What do you plan on doing with the dog after you get it back?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You made a decision that you felt was right.

The only caution I would add is that if you adopt him out, knowing that he is aggressive, and he injures someone, then it can come back to bite you in the butt in the form of a lawsuit. There is honestly a reason that a shelter temperament tests and euthanizes dogs that are aggressive... it just isn't safe to adopt them out. They don't do it because they like it, they do it because it's the best thing for the public and the dog.

Most rescue groups are very hesitant to take in dogs with aggression problems so it may be difficult to find a rescue for him.

It is very worrisome to me that all of you were too afraid of him to put him in the van with the family... where is he going to stay at their house? Are they going to be able to interact with him at all?

Concerning euthanasia... I was a vet tech for years (as an adult) and witnessed many euthanasias, of both sick and not sick animals, and I never saw a single one yelp and writhe around. I'm not sure how the ones you saw were done but it doesn't sound right. They should just immediately close their eyes, go to sleep, and pass away. Not sure how old you are now but could it have been a young teenagers perspective, and not entirely accurate, in your memory? I don't want people to think that euthanasia is a terrible thing. Like we said, there are much worse things than a quick, humane death.
Nothing to add really, but just want to say that I agree with this post 100%.

My question would be, what are you going to do with this dog when you get him back?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree, too. The dogs who I've sent to the Bridge just drifted away with a sigh (or, in Decster's case, a soft little growl...always had to have the last word, that one!) and it was only upsetting for me, not them. Having had a dog who was sharp-shy and had bitten someone, and currently having a grouchy old spaniel with no rabies vaccine, I would strongly encourage you NOT to accept liability for this dog. It's a tragic situation, but you didn't create it. An experienced Pit Bull rescue might be willing to take him on, but I honestly don't think you should. You need to be there for your own dog(s), and how are you going to take care of them if you get sued for every cent you've got?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would only like to add that, before I found Pablo, a local Humane Society adopted an aggressive dog out to me (he was not fearful or sharp-shy; more like, "This is my chair, screw you, Lady!") The minute he felt comfortable in my home, he attacked me and I returned him to the Humane Society; they refused to refund my adoption fee unless I had a letter from my vet stating that he was unadoptable. I said, "Now, let me get this straight - I have to take this vicious dog, who I had to grab with a towel while he attacked my hands, and shove him in the crate (it was a complete Jekyll & Hyde thing), to my vet so he can bite them? Uh, no. I like my vet. Here's your aggressive dog back; keep your fee." I never found out whether they euthed him or adopted him out to another unsuspecting person.

My point is that my local HS passes the buck and doesn't make the decision as to whether a dog is adoptable or not...they pass that onus on to the adopter and their vet. I would rather that they erred on the side of caution instead of making it more difficult for dog owners to rent, camp, get homeowner's or renters insurance, and generally go about in the world without being considered a liability. Now, as a former Dobie owner and aunt to several Pit Bulls, I'm not in favor of racially profiling dogs, but basing each decision on the temperament of the individual dog is responsible shelter management. Just my two cents on the shelter euthing vs. no-kill shelter subject.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts