Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the vet earlier this evening. omg. it was awful. let me start from the beginning...i switched vets bc i heard from an ex employee at my old vet, that the dr wasnt good and he lied about stuff and he doesnt really care about the animals hes only in it for the money etc. the main thing that bothered me was that i paid at least 100 dollars extra when tyson got neutered to get him the best pain medicine and to do it the nicest way (they give them the medicine before they wake up instead of waking them up and then giving it to them and waiting for it to work or something). and the girl told me he deosnt even do it! so i decided id switch to VCA which is a pretty well known vet around here. they have a bunch of offices and i figured the vets there must work for a company sort of thing so that theyd care more then the people who open their own businesses and run the show. anyways i went tonight to get tys annuals and chloe needed blood work before she gets spayed for the anesthisa thing. well the second i walked in there i didnt like it and felt uncomfortable. i had to wait for any to even acknowledge me, and then when i was asking her a question she interupted me to ask me a stupid question and then never let me finish what i was saying lol it was pretty rude especially bc i was going there hoping to find something better. well it gets worse lol. this girl comes to take my chloe and chloe gets all scared and tries to jump and the girl jsut about dropped her!! she didnt even tell me why she was taking her! she comes up to me in the waiting room and goes i need to take the one getting blood work. i was like u mean chloe? and shes like yeah. well after almsot dropping her i go and pick her up and try to comfort her and the girl goes to take her from me again and chloe starts SCREAMING crying freaking out (the girl was grabbing her by her neck :( she didnt like it too much :( and so she loses her grip and lets her again and then walks away and comes back with this mean cheap rope like leash and puts it in a slip knot and DRAGS her to the back! by the way i had her harness and leash on her (i dont know why they couldnt put her leash on her and walk her back or let me go with her or something) i felt soo bad she was screaaaminnngggg the whole way back there. then i hear her crying while shes back there. my eyes started to get all teary and i had to go outside before i cried (i ended up losing it outside and calling my mom to comofrt me). donny (my amazing boyfriend) was inside with tyson on his lap. i oculdnt go back in i was so upset. but when we finally got into an actual room with the vet (who didnt even introduce herself) i went in and asked about this bump tyson has (turns out to be a rib just growing in a weird direction). they took ty to the back with a muzzle on (he tried to bite them lol eeeeek!! he was scared too :( then they told me they liked tyson better bc he wasnt screaming. poor chloe she was just scared! lol anyways i finally got to leave. they didnt give me any information on anything. usually theyll tell u to watch out for weird stuff after getting the rabies ( i knwo they can have some reactions and stuff) and nothing about chloe feeling icky after having the blood work done and if i should watch for anything.... i was not impressed at all. its so ahrd to find a good vet. i jsut want someone i can trust who makes me feel like im a little bit important and that they actually do care. im sensitive about it i know and yeah theyre not the best patients but i dunno. i just had to vent... im sure some of you understand. i jsut want the best for my babies. i knew it was going to bed bad. i had a stomach ache walking up to the office. i feel so guilty lol i dont want them in pain :( im a baby haha anyways i feel better now that i got that out haha

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
((((hugs)))) i know how crappy some vets and vet techs can be. but please don't let that VCA ruin it for you. the animal hospital i worked for was affiliated with vca and it's not all vca's that are like the one you went to. if you'd like me to find out the complaint phone number for you i will get it. things like not introducing themselves and using a "quick lead" (is what the leash that was used is called) in that manner are uacceptable. and i'm not saying the vca i worked for was the best, as with EVERY hospital you get people that are just there for a paycheck, but they take complaints seriously. what area are you in? (curious to know who the district manager is hehe) my old manager was worth sh** but a majority of the vets and some techs and reception was phenomenal. they should have had their survey cards on the counter as well that you fill out about the service..... weird how the ones that have crappy workers in them never put theirs out...

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah i would have definitely grabbed one! i went to the one in coral springs FL . maybe since it was late in the day (5:00) they were just tired and wanted to go home. i just expect a lot more from a vet. and they wouldnt clip chloes nails either. i mean who better than to clip them then the vet lol i take her to petsmart all the time and shes fine. she wasnt happy about it today and they said they were going to wait until she was under to do it. but i dont want to go back there to get her spayed. im going to try this other vet in boca... i think its on clintmoore im not sure of the name (clintmoore animal hospital maybe) but i heard theyre good.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Awwwww, so sorry to hear, and yes good vets ARE hard to find. One of the reasons I didn't want to move to another state was that my vet was amazing!
I went to 2 vets since I have been here that I had bad experiences with, and I finally found one who is incredible!!! The only problem is that he's very old and I hope he doesn't decide to retire. I'd be heart broken :(

I sincerely hope you really like your new vet!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I realize that sometimes they are really busy and get rushed, but that is no reason to treat people in that manner. Sorry, but I'm afraid if that had been me, there would be no way they would have dragged Jasmine away crying like that. I would have come unglued. No doubt about it.

Do you have any friends in your area who have pets? If so, maybe they can recommend a good vet.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well I have a great vet in Royal Palm Beach Gizmo is a celebrity there...lol....I don't know if your willing to drive...but if you want her info PM me....if you live in Boca...it won't take too long if you take the turnpike....

I had to switch too because one vet hurt Gizmo while giving him his shots :evil:

That is just awful..... :x

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thatnks everyone im glad youre so understanding. and no i dont really have any friends with pets like me. im young so most of my friends are out partying and stuff lol if they do theyre older bigger dogs. for some reason bigger dogs seem to be a lot more tolerable of vets and shots. both mine alwasy cry everytime they get a shot. this time they took them out of the room so i had no idea what went on :( im going to try this new place and if im not satsified ill definitely get the info of the farther vet. i would honestly drive hours if i knew it would be a place id like. ill call tomorrow and see what they say. thanks again for your sympathy. you guys are awesome

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
it depends from dog to dog :wink:

my paris never gives a kick when she 's vaccinated or something ...cosmo is a real cry baby and he's supposed to be THE man :D

good luck finding a new vet ....i wouldn't go there again :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
568 Posts
What a horrible experience. I had a hard time finding a good vet too in the beginning, but I did find one. I trust him very much and they always make me feel welcome when I bring my babies in. He is also an older vet so I am hoping he sticks around for many more years to come as it helps to take your babies to someone you trust.

I am wishing you loads of luck in finding that perfect vet for your babies.

Leslie

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
i love my cheese said:
they have a bunch of offices and i figured the vets there must work for a company sort of thing so that theyd care more then the people who open their own businesses and run the show.
I disagree with that one statement but otherwise I'm right there with you. I think that people who run their own businesses are way more likely to be conscientious than an employee of a company. When your name is on the door and your reputation is on the line I think you're more apt to give 100%.

How big is Chloe that they couldn't just carry her? Why'd they have to take her away with that leash? My God, I'd have freaked out too. I wouldn't go back there. You need to feel deep down inside that your babies are in the best possible hands.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It would have been all over in 5 minutes for me the moment they tried dragging chloe away. I would have scooped both dogs up, told them exactly what I thought and turned and walked out the door! Just because your young doesn't mean you get treated that way, stand up and speak up if your not happy and if someone doesn't like it, tough luck they are providing you with a service and an expensive one at that. Keep looking, the right vet is out there for you!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rachael- i thought the same as you do, until that girl talked to me./ i was in petsmart getting some things and this girls goes do u have 2 chihuahuas and i was like yeah?? and she said oh i sued to work at Dr. F's office and i was like ohhh hi! blahblah we did some small talk and i asked why she didnt work there anymore and she went on to tell me that he didnt reall treat the animals nicely and would lie about certain things and basically was just in it for the money (ie. the paying extra money during spay/neuter so they get the heart monitor during surgery and the IV for the pain medicine before they wake up instead of waking up and then recieving the meds). she said that during my boyfriends dog's (italian greyhound) surgey he didnt even do it for him. so the extra money he spent apparently went straight into his pocket i guess. so after she told me this i thought about it for awhile and wasnt sure whether to believe her or not (who knows maybe she was fired and is bitter about it so shes talking bad about him) but i figured id at least check out a new vet to see how it went. my reasoning for picking VCA was that if the employees under the vets were seeing bad stuff going on they would mroe than likely report it to someone higher up in the company. but working for someone who "runs the show" and is doing everything his/her way i thought maybe the employees wouldnt know how to handle it or something. who knows. its just hard to see the real side of Drs because who knows what goes on behind ur back :( its scary to even think about it. they oculd be so nice to your face and then who knows what. and i guess i wasnt clear about the lead/leash thing. the first time the girl came to get chloe she took her from my arms and chloe tried to jump and she almost dropped her!!! she was wiggling away and started screaming for no reason :( then i picked her up off the ground to comfort her (i called her out from under the bench) and i held her for a minute and then girl went to take her from me and tried to get her by the back of her neck :( the second chloe felt that she started screaming and wiggling away and she almost dropped her again but made it to the floor before she fell. so she walked away and came back with that mean leash and dragged my poor baby all the way to the back while she screamed and screamed this awful noise. that was it for me i sat down for a second and my eyes got all teary and my boyfriend told me to go outside for a minute.when i went back in chloe was in the room and she was fine i just held her for awhile while tyson was getitng his shots in the back. i didnt like that part either. i would definitely prefer them in the room while they get their shots. maybe because i was used to that at my old vets. do msot of them take the dogs out of the room to give shots? well i made an appt the 18th to see this other doctor who is suppose to be really good. chloes bloodowkr came back good for the surgery (vca wants me to call back to make the appt haha NOT). so well see how it is when i go. ill warn them this time that shes not the best patient lol she neevr acted liek thsi at the vet before. they could always take her to get weighed and all that and shed be fine. hopefully this time will go smoother.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I had a similar experience to yours with my cat and a %*&#!*@ vet. I got her from the SPCA and was extremely unimpressed with the first vet I went to for her spay. The staff was nice enough but the doctor was possibly the rudest person I've ever met. They did the spay and she never went back.

Unfortunately, the next place we went was highly recommended by dog owners I knew and I took her to that vet where the treatment was OK but not the greatest. I had the feeling they didn't like cats all that much and felt uncomfortable when we were there. We left that vet after a new vet office opened closer to us and, during OmaKitty's first visit, the new vet noticed she had a tooth that was literally rotting out of her mouth, causing her extreme pain. I asked how long that tooth had been like that and she said "it's hard to say but it's been a long time - probably years."

I've been fighting the urge to go back in there and strangle the old vet with my bare hands for the last five years. I still get angry when I drive past their office and think of the pain that could have been avoided if the vet had only cared enough to look.

We got lucky with the new vet though; they extracted the tooth and now OmaKitty purrs - I had never heard her purr!! Everyone in the office knows me, Cooper and OmaKitty by name when we walk through the door. They always remember that OmaKitty was abused by a man and has a fear of them so they whisk her into a room immediately when she arrives and no male employees are allowed to go into her exam room or even NEAR the door. And, of course, they all just die when Cooper comes in and fight over who gets kisses first.

I hope you find a vet like that. It's hard work but I have learned that if YOU don't feel right when you enter the office, you definitely don't want your pets there. I wish I had learned that lesson before OmaKitty had to suffer with that tooth.

You might consider actually going to the new vet before the office visit to fill out the paperwork in advance and feel the place out a bit. It might help you feel better about the vet so you're calm and confident when you go in with your pup. And we all know the pups pick up on what we're doing and will take our anxiety and make it theirs ten-fold.

Gee, I didn't mean to make this post so long.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
My vet encourages me to stay in the room when Lily has anything done (shots, examination, taking blood, whatever). I either hold her while they do what needs to be done or a vet tech holds her and I am like two inches from her face and whispering "It's okay, baby."

I think any vet should understand that having the owner there will only calm the dog (unless the owner is a complete zipperhead, I suppose :lol: ).

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
quote>bump tyson has (turns out to be a rib just growing in a weird direction<quote ................................................................................. Fynn and Rosie have these bumps too on opposite sides of each other.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
My vet encourages me to stay in the room when Lily has anything done (shots, examination, taking blood, whatever). I either hold her while they do what needs to be done or a vet tech holds her and I am like two inches from her face and whispering "It's okay, baby."
My vet only lets me stay with Cooper or OmaKitty when it's vaccination day. I hold the front end, put my face on my baby's face and close my eyes. Anything else involving injections and they either take them in the back or ask me to leave the room.

I feel bad but I can't look at a needle and not pass out or throw up. I even get shaky sewing a button back on a shirt! :oops:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts