Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to clip Radleys claws when we visited last week, and what a poor job she did.

When Radley is running and playing indoors or having cuddles his claws get caught in everything from the carpet to our clothes and even some of his toys.

I was nervous of trimming them off as I really didnt want to clip to far up and catch his quick (or whatever it is called). Well needless to say since his visit to the vets things have gotten worse and he is tripping and catching everything and on a couple of occasions I have had to rescue him before he twists and hurts himself.

My question is when a pup has black claws how do you know where to trim to without catching them?

·
Registered
644 Posts
i have that problem with Diefie's claws, they're black and i'm always worried i'll clip too far.
so i just take of the tip and then i give them a quick once over with a big emery board to take off the sharp edges. if i don't do that, Diefie catches his claws on everything!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking of doing, and had tried with the emery board last night and in the week, only problem is radley wants to play at any given opportunity and the emery board is a fantastic new and interesting thing :lol:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Diefie tries to bite the board too :)
i just wizz over the sharp bits, trying to keep it business like so Dief doesn't think it's a game.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I use a nail grinder. If you do a search here you will find lots of good posts about grinding nails and even videos.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I use a nail grinder as well. It's much safer as you take off a small amount at a time and there's much less risk of cutting into the quick. It's also easier to get smoother edges so the nails don't catch on things.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thanks, I will have to look into this and see if I can get hold of one.

I have managed to trim them down enough for them to stop catching the carpet, but this could be a good long-term solution.

:D

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'd say get an electic grinder, like a pedi-paws....use it to file the nails.
Rico has black nails too and they grow so quickly. I do his at least once a week. I really don't like long nails on the pups, it is dirty and dangerous. If the nails grow to long the quick is "longer"too. If you file them with a grinder every week the qucik will shoten. I would also suggest some septic powder to stop bleeding. You can buy this at any pet supply. Have it on hand when you trim the nails.

Rico still hates "nail-care". I have to wrap him firmly in a blanket, it is amazing how much strength a wee dog can have. I hold the paw and each toe frimly and gover the top and sides--including under each nail. If you don't do that there can be little rough hooks that can catch on things.
Sounds like thee maybe some of that after the vet clipped .

Around here it cost $45 fo clipping then grinding at pet shop. I learned to do this myself ;). Rico can sometimes go into a dramatic fit over it, but once he get that the fight isn't going to deter me --we done petty quickly (no pun intended).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
That's what I was thinking of doing, and had tried with the emery board last night and in the week, only problem is radley wants to play at any given opportunity and the emery board is a fantastic new and interesting thing :lol:
Quigley loves my emery boards as well. I don't know why. He will see one and bark at it wanting to chew on it. I have to keep them all hid from him. It's very comical.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts