Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom took a kitten from her job that some people were kicking and brought it home ( i guess i'm not the only "sucker" in the house lol). There is a litter of them and this is the second kitten from that litter that my mom has brought home. The first was given to a co worker of my mom... boy was he a cutey!

This kitten has been here since 10pm. She is a blue eyed Orange and white striped female. I dont know how old she is. Her eyes are open and clear of discharge, shes sleeping alot which i expect since shes a kitten. Shes fiesty and has hissed at my dog when she walked in a room as well as a camera strap but i think thats to be expected since she is in all new territory.

She hasnt pooped or peed yet. Am i supposed to stimulate her? What do i feed her for this night since the pet store is closed? mom says to give her milk but i think human grade cow milk might do more harm then good. What should i do?I have set up an aluminum pan with some kitty litter in it for her to use but as i said earlier she hasnt used it. I tried offering her dry cat food with some wet cat food on the side so she can choose which one she wants but she hasnt touched the food same or water i put down for her.

When i got my now 6 year old cat he was a little smaller than this kitten but older i think and its been years since i've had to do this. Anyone mind giving me some advice? lol

Right now she is dreaming curled up in a sweater of mine on my desk. I snapped some pics a little earlier but they are kinda blurry.

When she wakes up i'll try to get more pics that you guys can actually see her full body and maybe start guessing at her age.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, i've resized the pic to "small" on photobucket but it still looks massive on here.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry you had to give up your kitten. I'm sure you placed it in a good home though and did all you could for it.

The kitten woke up and ate some Friskies cat food (wet) and crunched on a couple of hard cat food pieces that i cruched for her. I can tell she was hurt. She hisses at anything that moves around her.I put in a extra shirt to keep her warm during the night and she hissed at me.

I wonder if her eyesight is okay. When i handed her some wet food on my finger she didnt seem to see me coming. She only became away when she started sniffing the air. :-(.

I asked my mom for some details and she told me the only thing she had seen with her own eyes was some man kicking the kitten under a trailer.one of her co workers said the whole litter seems to be treated the same way. Someone said they are calling the ACC tomorrow to have the cats removed and put to sleep so i will be heading there bright and early to try and see if i can get them to come out before the ACC gets there.

This is the second litter that is in this area that i'm aware of. The first ended up with a dead kitten in the middle of a walking path...i'm positive he didnt die of natural causes.

Its almost two am. I'm going to put the kitten in my room and crate my dog who appears to be slightly upset at the kittens presence, growling whenever she hisses at her. I'll update when i get back in the morning.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm sure your dog will get used to the kitten,mine love each other and play together,it's such a sweetie hope it settles down ok,at least it's eating,how can people be so cruel as to kick a small little thing like that ? maybe it's a bit bruised,so needs plenty of rest and TLC

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what my mom said, Michele. To just let her rest and catch her breath basically.
Tyler ( my dog) is just a little spoiled and doesnt even like me to give my resident cat too much attention. She's just letting me know she is displeased lol

I am keeping Bailey seperated from my pets at the time because we havent taken the kitten to the vet yet and she seems to be more relaxed when my dog isnt in the room. She has an appointment with a vet tomorrow for an exam.

She hasnt moved her bowels or urinated yet so I have tried stimulating her and that didnt work. I went to the pet store across the street and was reminded why i never go there. Before i could even ask my question the only guy in the store tells me they will pay me $20 for her and if he could "check her out." I told him no thanks that i just had a question and he tells me to come back at 2 when the cat lady comes.:mad: I shook my head and walked out. I wont be going back there unless its a last minute emergency.

So i'm back to where i started. At least i have a vet appointment for her and a name.

I couldnt get any of the kittens under the trailer but my mom will keep trying during the day.

This picture resizing is not working for me. They are all on Small and yet they still look huge on here, with the exception of the first one.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh i think what she has been through she will need time,and who knows what's she has been eating before you had her,(not a lot)i'm sure she will be fine once she's settled and her nerves get better.Good on you !and mum !for saving her.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I can only imagine what the people in my building think when we have new animals coming in so often lol

Mom caught a little black kitten about 15 minutes ago and she will be bringing him home with her this afternoon unless someone wants him.

Bailey is already doing a little better... she is playing with my iPod usb cord and pouncing in her litter box lol She is certainly adding excitement to my home among the kids.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
poor things :( .
hard to tell an age by the pics you have up if you can make them a little bigger i can give you a rough age .
i go by the eye colour ,she looks to be about 6 weeks old from the pics you have up.

dont worry about her not going to the loo just yet :) its very common for a new kitten not to go to the toilet for the first day or 2 , he is old enough to toilet himself .

lucky you getting a ginger girl :) they arnt very common at all most are born male :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michele,It was indeed great news. The black one found a home right away to someone in my building who has been looking for a old cat but fell for the look of the all black one. I know hes a good man so i know the black cat will have a good life growing up around his kids.

Bailey is still here though lol. My sister is getting attatched as Bailey sleeps with her and plays with her all the time. She has asked mom to keep Bailey but we dont think it would be the wisest thing to do considering how many animals we have at the moment. I guess we will see if mom caves in lol.

Sugarbaby - Is that what you call her color? Ginger? I've been alternating from orange to tan lol not sure on where she falls. How can you tell age through the eyes? thats interesting.

I posted her up on Craigslist and hope someone is interested. I put her age int he range of 6-8 weeks which could be grounds to be flagged but i hope people realize i am just trying to be completely honest in my post.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
yep her colour is called ginger tabby :) .

i go by the colour with the eyes :) at around 5 to 6 weeks their eyes are starting to get a little green or yellow tinge and by 8 weeks the blue is almost or completely gone :).
its s very good indicator ;) ,if you ever get to see a litter of kittens grow up keep an eye on their eyes you will see what i mean :) , although it wouldn't work with breeds that keep their blue eyes lol .
if you go there again try taking some cat food with you ;)
i hope the others get saved , so sad :( , is the mother cat owned by anyone ?

are you 100% sure she is a girl ... lol sorry im just so used to seeing ginger males .
honestly over the yrs i have been rescuing i have only ever had 2 ginger females and when you take into account i have been rescuing for 15yrs and average 120 kittens a year the odds a so slim.

glad you didn't give her cows milk :) cats as like dogs are lactose intolerant so it would have given her the runs .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting observation! I hope i never have to deal with a litter of anything lol. My sister unknowingly bought a preggo hamster who delivered within 3 days of arriving here so i've had my fair share of babies lol

Nope the black one never even made it to her car. A coworker laid eyes on him and knew he wanted it right away so he went home with him. The man that took him is going through a rough time so i know the all black kitten will bring some light into his life.

The mother cat is not owned by anyone. At least she doesnt look like it and no one has come forward or posted any "Missing" flyers around. I've never seen her but mom says she looks like Bailey.This is the second litter in the same area but the mom cat is different. I guess they think it's a good hiding place when they come by at night and its deserted but come morning the place is bustling with activity.

I think a random person caught a kitten and walked off with it during the night. Thats what a kid told one of my moms co workers. I hope that person does the right thing by the kitten.

The ACC still hasnt shown up at the site so i'm happy for that. That means more people have a chance of catching a kitten and giving it a home.

As i stated in a previous post, I put Bailey on Craigslist and got a ton of responses. Most were scammers and i weeded it down to 4 potentials. One of the hardest things about rehoming an animal is trying to find the best match and so far i have 4 so i'll be inviting one over this weekend or early next weekend to take her home.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Interesting observation! I hope i never have to deal with a litter of anything lol. My sister unknowingly bought a preggo hamster who delivered within 3 days of arriving here so i've had my fair share of babies lol

Nope the black one never even made it to her car. A coworker laid eyes on him and knew he wanted it right away so he went home with him. The man that took him is going through a rough time so i know the all black kitten will bring some light into his life.

The mother cat is not owned by anyone. At least she doesnt look like it and no one has come forward or posted any "Missing" flyers around. I've never seen her but mom says she looks like Bailey.This is the second litter in the same area but the mom cat is different. I guess they think it's a good hiding place when they come by at night and its deserted but come morning the place is bustling with activity.

I think a random person caught a kitten and walked off with it during the night. Thats what a kid told one of my moms co workers. I hope that person does the right thing by the kitten.

The ACC still hasnt shown up at the site so i'm happy for that. That means more people have a chance of catching a kitten and giving it a home.

As i stated in a previous post, I put Bailey on Craigslist and got a ton of responses. Most were scammers and i weeded it down to 4 potentials. One of the hardest things about rehoming an animal is trying to find the best match and so far i have 4 so i'll be inviting one over this weekend or early next weekend to take her home.
a little hint with homing :) google their email address and phone number :) it has saved me a few times :) , i had a chi i was homing and had a really nice man call i got his email address to send pics ,when i googled his info i found lots and lots of dogs and cats for sale ,i sent him an email straight away saying she had been homed lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts