Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i went to petfinder to see just how many chihuahuas we had over here in Wilmington NC, and I looked and it said.. 25 PAGES?!?!

Whoa, too many Backyard breeders.. if my mom let me id adopt them ALL.. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is alot, but remember, also, that when you search by breed that it is going to include the mixes. I've searched and it's sad how many it said was of a certain breed, but when you looked at the posting, the dog looked nothing like what they said.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is alot, but remember, also, that when you search by breed that it is going to include the mixes. I've searched and it's sad how many it said was of a certain breed, but when you looked at the posting, the dog looked nothing like what they said.
Its still sad for our mixes too...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh it is. I hate it and that's why I've been doing rescue work for 14yrs now and why I have 5 Chihuahuas living here, 3 of whom are ours, the other two are currently fosters, but not available yet. All of them are rescues that were unwanted or for some reason were given up. Each one has a story of their own. It breaks my heart to know how many I can't save, because no matter how much we try, we just can't save them all. The way I see it, though, is the more we can educate people, the more we help. All of us working together will make a difference. :) Now, I do support our truly good and responsible breeders, but, like you mentioned. . . there are too many irresponsible ones. :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'm always on Petfinder. That's where I got Kizzie! =) She was a drop off at a home shelter, bless her. I always type in my zipcode and St. Louis zipcode and it comes up well over 400 pages. But that's all the way in other states as well. Even with JUST my zipcode they go all over. They just do your area first. Plus not all of them are bad breeders some of them are from animal shelters, home shelters and pounds, fosters parents trying to find homes. It's a world of animals looking for homes but not all for the wrong reasons! SOME are on there that are blah but I think Petfinder is great! :hello1: Yes there are a lot of mixed dogs on there =( I see a ton of mixed puppies and it's so sad I just found 3 black little Chis but they are mixed with something else. Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Chihuahua | Quincy, IL | H-Pups-Pending SO many dogs looking for a home, it's so sad.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think I found 7 pages within 100 miles of me when I checked petfinder for chihuahuas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought about adopting a Chi off of pet finder... But they were all to large and most were mixed breed so I didn't. Most chi's in shelters are the oversized/huge chi's and are mixes....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love petfinder for what it is, a site dedicated to helping shelters/rescuers/foster place animals in permanant homes. Many people (myself included) don't mind mixes if the dog is a good match for the home. Though, there are many irresponsible breeders and pet owners out there for sure.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I love petfinder for what it is, a site dedicated to helping shelters/rescuers/foster place animals in permanant homes. Many people (myself included) don't mind mixes if the dog is a good match for the home. Though, there are many irresponsible breeders and pet owners out there for sure.
I don't mind mixes either. I got Kizzie and I thought she was a Chi mix because she was dropped off at a home shelter who had her posted on Petfinder. She's not standard but she's a Chi. I didn't know that at the time though. She could have easily grown to be the size of who knew lol

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm always on Petfinder. That's where I got Kizzie! =) She was a drop off at a home shelter, bless her. I always type in my zipcode and St. Louis zipcode and it comes up well over 400 pages. But that's all the way in other states as well. Even with JUST my zipcode they go all over. They just do your area first. Plus not all of them are bad breeders some of them are from animal shelters, home shelters and pounds, fosters parents trying to find homes. It's a world of animals looking for homes but not all for the wrong reasons! SOME are on there that are blah but I think Petfinder is great! :hello1: Yes there are a lot of mixed dogs on there =( I see a ton of mixed puppies and it's so sad I just found 3 black little Chis but they are mixed with something else. Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Chihuahua | Quincy, IL | H-Pups-Pending SO many dogs looking for a home, it's so sad.

awwww those 3 chi's are so cute :( i hope someone gets them soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Xela....where do you live?
I'm in Ventura CA and we'd been looking for another chi for the past 2 months or so, and at all of the shelters we've gone to the majority of the chis we've seen have been itsy teeny ones thats why we didn't get them. In the shelter in Ojai (it's about 20 mins from my home), they have 3 adorable chis there now all of them ar around 3 or 4 lbs at best. They were surrendered about 2 weeks ago after the owner died; two of them are still really young under a year i believe. Theyre are also 3 or 4 other really small chis there. There's one little boy who's name is yoda...he's got HUGE ears, when I saw his photo online I thought he was a large chi so we went to see him...that little guy is like the height if a spice jar and has the cutest "I rule the world" strut going on. He's adorable, but was waayyy too small for us. If you or anyone else lives in this nexk of the woods and are looking for a chi to adopt you should give the Ojai shelter a try, it really is a fabulous little place (as far as shelters go, and they are no kill). They have lots of volunteers who come take the dogs on outings to get them away from the shelter for a while and keep a since or normalcy in their lives.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yoda sounds adorable!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts