Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am more than pissed at myself right now. This is the first time I've ever had this problem since I've been on my own.

I was sitting in bed last night with Daisy and suddenly I saw a black spot moving in her fur.

I couldn't get the little bugger and all the four letter words went through my head. I also could hardly sleep last night knowing that little bugger was on her. :foxes15:

So this morning I grabbed her and got out the Dawn soap and started washing. I washed up to the top of her head. I washed under her armpits, her butt, behind her ears, around them. Washed her tail, her legs, her underneath. I did this twice and used the sink sprayer to rinse her off. I've been coming through her hair and getting any I can find and they all seem dead so far.

I am so mad at myself. I gave her a bath this past week, and I'm so mad I missed it. I've been checking the other animals and so far nothing.

Right now I'm washing her bedding and blanket it hot water.

I've been beating myself up over this but hubby is like this is something that happens sometimes, especially since we live by the woods. But still!! I a so fustrated with this.

I do hope the Dawn soap did the job.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I washed her twice. Washed and rinsed and checked through, than washed and rinsed, and as I was drying her checked over her again. She feels super soft but boy is she mad at me right now. Still running my fingers through her fur to make sure. Rocki so far I haven't found any on her. But her bedding is next to get a hot wash. Than I'm dawn soap washing their crate trays.

But now I feel like giving myself a dawn soap bath because I just itch knowing they were on one of my pets.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah I washed her twice. Washed and rinsed and checked through, than washed and rinsed, and as I was drying her checked over her again. She feels super soft but boy is she mad at me right now. Still running my fingers through her fur to make sure. Rocki so far I haven't found any on her. But her bedding is next to get a hot wash. Than I'm dawn soap washing their crate trays.

But now I feel like giving myself a dawn soap bath because I just itch knowing they were on one of my pets.
Noone likes bugs on their babies. I dont want to mention the bugs that surround us that we DONT see...then we will really be itching!

Its lucky you can get something simple like Dawn where you are instead of harsh chemicals. They dont sell it where I live.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That has to suck. Yeah Hubby wants to get the flea drop stuff now. I will only do advantage but Daisy is so small that I don't really want to use it on her.

I used Dawn on Cuddles when we got her because she was covered, poor thing was too young for the chemical drops too. After a few baths things got better.

I have to call my mom she used some flea bath and spray for her cat. Appearently it worked, she said it was the worse smell EVER but it worked.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Presuming that fleas are the same the world over in their breeding habits, I'm sorry to say that even if you got all the adults there will remain the other stages of the lifecycle just waiting to hatch in their 100's, if not 1,000's.

As an aside, I've used the spot-on flea preps on my 2lb dogs without any issues.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah we're getting spot treatment I just had to do something now for her. I've rubbed all over the other animals and so far Daisy seemed to be the only one.

I hate those things. Has anyone else used the blue plain Dawn soap and had any results?

I will be bathing her again in a day or so and getting flea comb.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For the person that said they can't get Dawn dish soap, we have used Murphy's Oil soap on newborn pups and kittens at work (vet clinic) with success, too.

You may also want to try boiling orange peel slivers in water, let it cool, drain off the water, put it in a spray bottle and treat the dogs and any furniture and carpets they have been on. Fleas HATE citrus, it's safe, natural and smells nice.
Vacuum any carpets dailt and throw out the bag (or empty the canister in an ouside receptacle) every time it's used to try to catch any hatching larvae.

Since you caught it early and if you are diligent, you should be ok.

Best wishes for a flea free home!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For the person that said they can't get Dawn dish soap, we have used Murphy's Oil soap on newborn pups and kittens at work (vet clinic) with success, too.

You may also want to try boiling orange peel slivers in water, let it cool, drain off the water, put it in a spray bottle and treat the dogs and any furniture and carpets they have been on. Fleas HATE citrus, it's safe, natural and smells nice.
Vacuum any carpets dailt and throw out the bag (or empty the canister in an ouside receptacle) every time it's used to try to catch any hatching larvae.

Since you caught it early and if you are diligent, you should be ok.

Best wishes for a flea free home!
That was me...and I thank you very very much for your time to inform! I have yet to see a flea but if I do, I will use your very helpful advice. Thanks very much!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts