Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my chi on nutro and when i was at petsmart, i noticed that there's a new back called nutro ultra. has anyone tried this brand of food? i'm confused about the nutro max, nutro, and nutro ultra. i also looked at a bag of chicken soup for the dog lover's soul. looks like a good brand. has almost the same stuff at nutro ultra...in your opinions, which is better?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Oh gosh there are so many good brands out there...basically whatever your dog will eat is what I would stick to.
Nutro is very good, I dont feed it so I dont know which type is best.
I feed Royal Canin Chihuahua formula...my dogs just scarf it down.

PS - I LOVE your avatar! That is my fav. anime

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere on this site that you should stay away from certain ingredients (I wrote it down, but lost it). Anyway, I have been feeding Friday Iams puppy food and those are the treats she gets also. She doesn't eat very much, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the food. I'm almost out, so this is a perfect time for a switch. I just want what's best for her.

Also, are there any "desserts" I can give her? Sometimes she is so good and sweet and obedient that I want to give her something special and those doggy biscuits just don't cut it.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
My girls love the Bil*Jac Liver Treats for Dogs...another treat can be cottage cheese, apples, and banannas...but again only as treats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks! I noticed that everytime the vet gives her something, it's always banana-flavored. It looks like pudding, but I never asked what it was. She won't choke on apples?
The other night I felt so bad because I wanted to give her a treat and I had NOTHING!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I just recently switched Zeus from Natural Balance (not available in my area) to Royal Canin for Chihuahua's and he LOVES it. Out of all the foods I've tried, this is the only food that I can give it to him straight (w/out wet food) and he'll scarf it down. Other foods that I recommend are Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and Innova. These foods contain no "filler" ingredients.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have seen the new Nutro Ultra...I think it's a new formula that vets or someone like that came up. I used to feed Chico NutroMax puppy food and he was fine on it. I agree with you Noah on your recommended foods, but I'd just like to add Wellness to the group too. :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've heard great things about Wellness, but never tried it since I couldn't find it in my area. I've found that when you change a dogs food, especially to one of the above mentioned foods (with no fillers), you have to do it gradual since it is rich. Once you've got them transitioned over, you'll find they eat less and their poop isn't as smelly and they go less frequent. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
NoahFL said:
I've heard great things about Wellness, but never tried it since I couldn't find it in my area. I've found that when you change a dogs food, especially to one of the above mentioned foods (with no fillers), you have to do it gradual since it is rich. Once you've got them transitioned over, you'll find they eat less and their poop isn't as smelly and they go less frequent. :)
Chico eats less of the Wellness than the NutroMax puppy food he was on, but he sure does chow down on the Wellness when I give it to him, lol. I know what you mean though about the Wellness being hard to find in stores...i have to drive 12 miles one way :shock: just to get to the nearest store where i live that sells it. i'm really tempted to just order it online.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it looks like mina likes the food. i think i'll stick with it. i hear it's a very good brand. i wanted to get her royal canin but i could never find the chihuahua formula in petsmart or petco. she seems to be having trouble eating the pieces. i don't know why she would. they're tiny. she's lost most of her baby teeth except the canines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
lol at banana pudding! you saved me from an embarrassing moment with the vet!

So, of all of these foods, can I get them at Petsmart or do I need to go to specialty store? And do I mix the food when making the switch or how do I do that?

Friday eats her Iams just fine, but I don't see any of you talking about Iams, so I'm thinking it's not the favorite around here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought the Royal Canine for puppies and gave some to Friday mixed with her Iams last night. I have never seen her so excited about her food! I was afraid she was going to choke from eating so fast, but she did just fine. I also bought the BilJac treats but she just kept swatting at it with her paw like, "what am I supposed to do with this?" lol. I think she just prefers crunchy treats (not that she didn't eat it...she did eventually).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So, of all of these foods, can I get them at Petsmart or do I need to go to specialty store? And do I mix the food when making the switch or how do I do that?
Petsmart I know has Royal Canin for Chi's and Nutro. I'm not sure about the other ones, but many pet stores carry high quality foods. As far as making the switch, you should do it gradual over a 2 week period. Slowly add the new food to the existing food, then every couple of days add more of the new food and less of the old food until you're using just the new food.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the petsmart i go to never has the royal canin for chihuahuas. mina likes the nutro ultra so, i think i'll stick with that. i don't want to constantly change her food and turn her into a picky eater.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've found that once the shipment comes in, it goes quick. You might try asking them when they get their Royal Canin shipment and make sure you're there in time. The first time I tried looking for it, they were sold out, but the next time I went, the guy was stocking the shelves with it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
NoahFL said:
I've found that once the shipment comes in, it goes quick. You might try asking them when they get their Royal Canin shipment and make sure you're there in time. The first time I tried looking for it, they were sold out, but the next time I went, the guy was stocking the shelves with it.
I shop at Petco for cat food because petsmart is to far away form me, and every time i go petco they always have TONS of royal canin...especially the chihuahua 28 formula. i think they order extra of that because every time i go there i always see people buying it. theres a lot of chi's in this city i think. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I never knew there was a Chihuahua specific food! I have been feeding Punky Ekanuba small breed puppy food. Maybe at 16 months I should change her to grown up food. I have heard about Solid Gold. I think they deliver to your house via UPS. No Petsmart or Petco here in Puerto Rico :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts