Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ember just got her form sent in to get her spayed sometime after March the 20th at the local Humane Society/ Animal Care And Control. We aren't sure of the date yet.

She probably doesn't weigh more then 5 pounds if that, and she is so tiny (And already six months old) I'm worried during the operation something will go wrong. Like loosing too much blood or getting sick from exposure to germs around the Humane Society from the other animals, or worse... like them giving her anesthesia (Sorry if I spelled that wrong, it's the stuff they use to put them to sleep while they are operating) and with her being so small that it is just too much for the poor little baby to handle and...:(

Anyone have experience with this, or some helpful advice? I don't think I'll be able to drop her off without some reassurance. If something happens to her I'll either die of a heart attack or die of heartbreak!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You are not alone Savannah! Most of us here have dealt with this same exact issue and the feelings of anxiety and hoping that everything goes smoothly!!

I will just reassure you that 99.9% of the time, everything goes perfectly. She is a young and healthy dog. It is a fairly simple surgery (easier in boys than girls). The humane society has performed hundreds (probably thousands) of these operations and they know exactly how to do it.

I know how you feel. I cried when I dropped off Brody, even though I am a nurse and a grown up and I knew everything would probably be fine. ;) And you know what ... everything WAS fine. He was so happy to see me when I picked him up and he didn't have any complications at all. He was back to his normal self in just a few days. I would guess that will be the same with Ember.

Sometimes we just have to put our faith and our trust in the doctors hands and know that they will do everything possible. I hope for a speedy and successful surgery for Miss Ember and it will be over before you know it. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not alone Savannah! Most of us here have dealt with this same exact issue and the feelings of anxiety and hoping that everything goes smoothly!!

I will just reassure you that 99.9% of the time, everything goes perfectly. She is a young and healthy dog. It is a fairly simple surgery (easier in boys than girls). The humane society has performed hundreds (probably thousands) of these operations and they know exactly how to do it.

I know how you feel. I cried when I dropped off Brody, even though I am a nurse and a grown up and I knew everything would probably be fine. ;) And you know what ... everything WAS fine. He was so happy to see me when I picked him up and he didn't have any complications at all. He was back to his normal self in just a few days. I would guess that will be the same with Ember.

Sometimes we just have to put our faith and our trust in the doctors hands and know that they will do everything possible. I hope for a speedy and successful surgery for Miss Ember and it will be over before you know it. :)
Thank you Miss Tracy. :) It usually takes around 5-7 hours for us to get our dogs back (It was when my beagle, Trigger, got neutered) and I hope you're right about the humane society knowing what they are doing- thankfully they are certified vets back there.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I totally know what youre going thru. Bailey was just spayed 10 days ago and I was a nervous wreck!! She's 11 months and just over 5 pounds so I know your concern. Bailey did great tho!!!!! It took 7 days to see her totally herself but there were no problems that came up. The only thing I really hated was her crying the night after her spay but it was from the anastesia so she was ok. I chose not to leave her at the vets overnight.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Join me in with the others in knowing the feeling as well!

My first two were done on the same day and the third just a few months later. Mine were 6.5 months, 7 months and 9 months when they had theirs. All 3 of them just weighed 3 pounds when they were spayed and did just great so she will be fine.

You will be glad you did it for her health and happy when it is behind you. Make plans to be busy for the day. DO NOT just sit and fret. They will call you before you know it to say that she is done and soon ready to be picked up!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Holly was just spayed this past Sunday (2/26) at my local animal shelter. She did great! She's still recovering, although you'd never know it. She bounced right back!

Here's a pic of her right after they brought her out:

And here's one after her surgery posing in a onesie:

Hope this helps ease your mind a bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I feel so much better. Not as nervous now- hard to say if I will be when the real thing comes though.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It is normal to be nervous. You love her! You are being very responsible getting her spayed. You will also be such a great nurse to her once she is back home!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just looked in your album and it looks like Amberleah's legs are longer then Ember's therefore making her a bit taller however other then that they look exactly the same except for colors...

And Ember was the same size when we got her at eight weeks in Amberleah's first meal picture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When it was time to spay Bettie I freaked out! She has always been so tiny. The day of her surgery she was 7 months and only 2.9 lbs.! She did amazingly!
Your baby will be okay.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Tink, and gosh that is very tiny. Good thing she did well.

The more I read these posts the less nervous I got until I read a post in the rainbow bridge area where a chi died just after being spayed. Then that made me freaked out again, however now I'm starting to say, "All these other Chi's have been fine. That's probably one in 1000 or something. Ember's gonna be fine."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts