Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Isn't it sad?? I'm on the East Coast of the US & we very very rarely have Chi's in our shelters as well. (I've actually never seen one because if/when they're brought in they're adopted almost immediately) Last year they brought over TONS of Chi's from the West Coast to our shelters & there was literally a waiting list for them. It also didn't make people very happy hear to have them bring them over. But I think it's great because the demand for Chi's is so much greater.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That is so sad, they have become a victim of their own popularity. :( I wish I could just go over there and rescue 20 of them

I have never seen one in a shelter here either, there is such demand for them people can sell on an adult chi for a few hundred pounds so I don't think people just abandon them, if the big shelters are handed a breed like that they send them to small breed soecific rescues. If a chi ever came in to rescue in manchester, it would definately wouldnt have been there for more than a few hours before I adopted it.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I asked in a rescue shelter when my daughter got her cat if they ever have chis in,maybe 1 a year mostly when the owner dies and they're snapped up the very day they're put up for adoption,that is so sad

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen more chi's than normal in our shelters (my good friend is a rescue worker). Typically, they are 3 years + and people want puppies. I always remind my friend that a well cared-for chi will live a long time. A lot of people think chi's can't be around children, which limits the pool of adoptive families. My kids love Jax and they know they can't grab him and pick him up, and I WATCH THEM with the dogs. Nothing is more sad to me than a pudgy, scared little chi in a shelter cage.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Chi's are very popular here. We have them in the shelter ALL THE TIME. At the humane society shelter, there's always at least 4 or 5. Then we have independent shelters, and there's a ton of them there too.

Check out this rescue in our city, they have several. I LOVE JC (about halfway down the page). She is such a darling. She's been in the rescue for several months. Petey is really cute too. So sad.

Available Pets

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Chi's are very popular here. We have them in the shelter ALL THE TIME. At the humane society shelter, there's always at least 4 or 5. Then we have independent shelters, and there's a ton of them there too.

Check out this rescue in our city, they have several. I LOVE JC (about halfway down the page). She is such a darling. She's been in the rescue for several months. Petey is really cute too. So sad.

Available Pets
Very sad. :( I see chi's in rescue here fairly regularly as well. The rescue where I got Pip and Roo generally have a few. They will take chi's from all over the states, they take a lot that are about to be put down. The good thing about them being in rescue compared to the humane society is they don't put them down.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I can't believe nobody has snapped up this little cutie. She's been in the rescue since before Thanksgiving. I'd like to get her in a home with a good diet and some supplements and clear up that dandruff. Then she'd be perfect.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh wow, she's a real beauty! She could be Brody's sister! :D Where is she located, Tracy? I think she may be meant to be yours. haha. ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It is so sad, we have a TON here too, one rescue gets them from California all the time. It's so sad :-(

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I win the lottery, Im off to the US to set up my own chihuahua rescue. What is the Humane society? Why did they want to put so many of these dogs down?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We never have any Chis in our shelters either.

Though, we did go on vacation to SC and at the Petco there were like 100 Chis trying to find a new home.

Tracy- you should get the little girl! I'm sure Brody wouldn't mind a friend to play ball with! :coolwink:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Believe me I've been tempted. I think she's so cute and she's very petite. We just REALLY like having one dog and being able to take Brody everywhere. We had two dogs for 12+ years and now we feel like we are spoiled just having one. There's not a big difference between adding one after you have 2. Getting a 3rd or a 4th is really no biggy. But there is a BIG difference going from 1 to 2. One is so easy on the wallet as far as vet bills, food, etc. We just aren't ready to get another, we are selfish and don't want to share him. ;)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Noooooo there's now difference trust me :) I carry both in one arm :) and you got that meat :)

You know you want too!! They would looks so so cute!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Noooooo there's now difference trust me :) I carry both in one arm :) and you got that meat :)

You know you want too!! They would looks so so cute!
Sarah, you are as bad as Kristi!!!! I swear!!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh and Paula, she's right here in my city. :coolwink:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Me???? What you trying to say I'm just saying I think you should haha I'll send treats :) :) they look like twinnies! Hubbub wouldn't mind put one in your pocket!! Tell brody if he gets a sister I'll find him some special balls!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Me???? What you trying to say I'm just saying I think you should haha I'll send treats :) :) they look like twinnies! Hubbub wouldn't mind put one in your pocket!! Tell brody if he gets a sister I'll find him some special balls!!
You are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Sarah!! So bad!! ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
From one to two is nothing! You wouldn't be losing some of Brody but instead gaining the love of the new pup in addition to Brody's! Love everywhere!

Going from 3 to 4 was h*ll, for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts