Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's 18 year old daughter has a Yorkie (about 5 lbs) who my friend mainly takes care of. My friend also has another small dog (Lucy) herself, and then a dog (Max) for her 6 year old son (who has seizures) to train to be his medical dog. Not sure what kind of dog he is, but he's medium sized. Well I guess the Yorkie, Mya, has been having bathroom issues. She's a year old and has been potty trained for awhile. Well, they noticed she'd been getting fat, and just thought she was gaining weight. Well my friend figured out that she was probably pregnant.

They took her to the vet, and sure thing, Mya was pregnant! By Max, and she was already 1/2 to 3/4 of the way along. She weighted 8 lbs with 5 puppies in her. The vet said that she probably wouldn't be able to carry the puppies to term, and may not make it through a delivery, and would need a c-section which would cost $600. They aborted the puppies and got her spayed, and plan on getting Max neutered soon. Aborting the puppies only cost about $50. It just makes me so sad she was so far along and had to abort 5 puppies.. :( Especially because this could have been prevented by spaying/neutering one of them early on.

Here are the 3 dogs together. You can see Mya the little Yorkie, then the dad, Max on the floor. A couple days after this pic is when she got the abortion..

Another pic of the dad with their neglected big dog.. :( -

Not sure what the pups would have looked like, or their size, but do you think Mya and the pups would have survived birth?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
No I don't think so the dad is way bigger and the vet obviously took an x ray so would have been able to see the size of the pups and the size of her pelvis that's how they would have determined if she could deliver naturally it was for the best in my opinion as sad as it is but those 5 pups could have 1 day ended up in a shelter and the mother could have died during birth which would then have caused the babies to die too they had to do what was best for their situation raising puppies is not easy at all especially if the mom didn't make it. Too bad they had to learn a hard lesson rip little puppies :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am confused as why a dog that is training to be a medical service dog is not neutered?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another pic of the dad with their neglected big dog.. :( -

wow! the brown one to the right looks excactly like my cousins dog!!!

and im very sorry they were aborted as well ):

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm wondering what else they thought would happen if they kept intact dogs together.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea why he wasn't neutered! He is not quite a year old, so maybe they were waiting til he was a lil older? They haven't started his training either... so who knows. I told her she should get him neutered, and she says she plans to soon now. I don't know what she was thinking would happen though.. :(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
some people just dont care.
Also I believe with the size
difference that she would not
have been able to carry full
term or deliver.
Why people dont de-sex is
just beyond me, It really
upsets me.
RIP puppies xx