Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope and Ruby were proud and wanted you to see!
Sorry that it is so dark. Had all the lights on so do not know the issue with my phone.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
GREAT! Wasn't too bad was it?! What are you teaching next? I have found that "paw" or "shake" (or "say hello" ... I just thought of that one! that'd be fun to say!) is the next easiest since you can just pick up their paw to teach them. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hubby is out of town and will be home tomorrow night. He will be so surprised.
I have never taught a puppy a trick ever. I do not know if I did it correctly at all. We practiced about 4 times (about 10 minutes each) this evening since I have gotten home. Hope got it the first "session", Ruby the last...haha!

I have no idea what to teach next. Ruby HATES having her feet touched so shake may be tricky!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
LOL! That is so funny about Ruby and her feet. Such a little girl! :D

Good job to Hopey for being such a smarty! Ruby too though! She's probably just so confused since she's never learned a trick before!

Maybe "stay" or "wait" will be easy. I taught Roxy this by first having her sit ... then I put my hand out (as to say stop) and I say "stay". Then I back up a tiny back (still making eye contact with her and still with my hand up) and I stop and say "stay" again. I do this about 3 or 4 times. Then, I put my hand down and say "good girl!!!!!!" and she comes running for her treat!

I'll try and take a video and post it for you. Maybe that will help. This is probably definitely one that you'll need to separate them.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Such smart doggies on this forum. :)
Those videos of Hope and Ruby and Roxy were just adorable.
Hope reminds me of Leila..she is so anxious to get the treat she stands up and tries to take it lol. I usually will push the treat toward her so she has to actually stay in the sit position to get the treat.
I wouldn't start any new tricks for a couple days yet, but that's just me. I never wanted to overload leila with too much new too soon.
Congrats!!! You did awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

We will practice this one for awhile. I do force them to be polite and take turns. Mom habits stayed with me even though my kids are grown and gone! haha!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When my husband was training Gracie, he initially planned to introduce a new trick every week. Gracie caught on so quickly (like your girls) that it turned into 3 or 4 new tricks a week!

You know, it just amazes me how smart these little things are...I've always had dogs, but I've never seen any breed as easily trainable as Chis are.

You're doing great with the girls...And tell Ruby I like her theory that if you just keep sitting, you should get a treat!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yay for learning a new trick! They are sooo sweet and smart! I loved the video. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts