Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I was wondering what is the best shampoo out there, not for fleas but for shine... :D This is a pure vanity question, thankfully we don't have a flea problem so Stinky would like to look his best...right now I'm using J&J baby shampoo since i'm afraid that i might get some in his eyes but we would like to know if there is a shampoo out there to bring more shine! Any ideas??

·
Registered
810 Posts
My vet told me awhile back to use Dawn Dishsoap. It is mild and I know you don't have fleas, but if there were any, they would fall right off and die from the soap. Now I have to be honest, I like your idea of the baby shampoo, because I do be careful getting dawn in the eyes. Also, my friends vet told her about "Dawn" too, so at least I know it can't be harmful to their baby sensitive skin.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:shock: DAWN, the dish thing...are u sure! :D :D That sounds funny, I guess that if it doesn't work for Stinky at least I'll get shinier dishes...no more cheap dish soap for me...YAY! :D :D :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes, I know it sounds silly, but did you forget, I am sillymom?? :shock:
Seriously, that is what he told me to use, now I did have a problem w/fleas from my last dog and that is when he suggested it. Then when I got my new dog, I asked him what to use and he said I could still use that. I agree it does sound harsh, I was a little suprised myself, but I used it and she smelled fresh and was squeeky clean!! I see stuff all the time at Petco and places like that, they are probably better when worrying about the eyes, but much more expensive. I really don't get it by her eyes, I just use a glass and pour water over her head (covering her eyes and ears the best that I can). :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Go to walmart and pick up a bottle of Playtex Baby Magic Lavender and Chamomile Baby Shampoo in the purple bottle, get the shampoo, not the wash. Makes for a very nice shiny coat, my Jose's black coat shines like an Onyx after his bath with this stuff, and it smells great! Way better than any cheap puppy shampoo smell. It's gentle, because its BABY shampoo! best part is, it doesn't burn their lil eyes if you get a lil crazy in the tub.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I forgot to add my .02 about the Dawn or any dishsoap. I know the vet recommended it, but dishsoap is made and meant to cut grease, and grease is oil, so if you are using this on your dog's coat, you are stripping ALL of the natural oils off his coat, yes he will definately feel squeeky clean, but this is because he just lost all the natural protective oils on his coat. I just don't think this would be the best thing to use to bathe a dog with.

·
Registered
700 Posts
joebeans said:
I forgot to add my .02 about the Dawn or any dishsoap. I know the vet recommended it, but dishsoap is made and meant to cut grease, and grease is oil, so if you are using this on your dog's coat, you are stripping ALL of the natural oils off his coat, yes he will definately feel squeeky clean, but this is because he just lost all the natural protective oils on his coat. I just don't think this would be the best thing to use to bathe a dog with.
I hadnt thought of that. But it sounds logical too. I have the lavender stuff too. im going to try it next time for Nemos bath.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yea Joebeans that is a good point and I agree. I think maybe my vet was trying to give me something for my other dog who did have fleas that wasn't as harsh as flea baths but worked as well. He said I could use the Dawn on my new pup, but to be honest, I think he meant periodically. I only give a bath if needed, she is always indoors. So maybe once every 2 months. If I were bathing more often then I would definitely try something else. I do like the baby shampoo for the eyes though.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Just thought I would make a comment about the baby shampoo.

Baby Shampoo is made with a ph balance equal to human eyes and tears. That's why it doesn't sting or give a burning sensation to a babys eyes.
Dogs have a different ph level in their eyes than humans, so you should still avoid getting in their eyes.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:scratch: so, what kind of shampoo do u guys recommend? like I said i'm using Johnson baby shampoo, what do u guys use?

·
Registered
450 Posts
joebeans said:
Go to walmart and pick up a bottle of Playtex Baby Magic Lavender and Chamomile Baby Shampoo in the purple bottle, get the shampoo, not the wash. Makes for a very nice shiny coat, my Jose's black coat shines like an Onyx after his bath with this stuff, and it smells great! Way better than any cheap puppy shampoo smell. It's gentle, because its BABY shampoo! best part is, it doesn't burn their lil eyes if you get a lil crazy in the tub.
Like I said, this is what I use and it works great for a shiny coat.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would say pick one that you like. Go to you pet store and buy one that you perfer, the no tear kind or one for shiney coats or what ever.

Always start at the neck, that way if there are any flees it will keep them from running to the dogs head. Then do the back and work your way down.
Do the head and face last. Just scoop some suds off another part of the body or put a tiny amount of shampoo in your hand and make a lather. Rub it on the dogs face and head. You don't want a lot of lather because it will be harder to rinse out.
To rinse the face, tilt the dogs head back a little so the water will run off and down. I used to use a cup on my big dogs, but you could use your hand to scoop some water and push the lather away from the eyes.
The rest of the body is easy to rinse.

If you have a lighter colored che and are concerned about the dark stains around the eyes, they do make some wipes especially for cleaning around the eyes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i like to use the PRO PET SALON brand. works very well and makes her smell so nice. my favorite is the coconut scent.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My vet gave me a shampoo called Chitocure..its wonderful and made in the US. It makes Poppy's coat shine and it smells good too :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts