Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say, how many pounds and under, please.

Or, to put it another way, those crooked, lying breeders who try to flog runts and tinies etc. off as "TeaCups", what weight would they be fully grown, for example.

I'm trying to figure out what's a Tiny Chi (when I see ads saying, "too small to show or breed with" or "Adult TeaCup" or "Teeny, weeny adult" etc. etc. So, what do Americans & UK, Europe etc. consider to be tinies.

Then "average" ..... what is considered average and, then, of course what is considered on the "heavy" side of the scale.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'd imagine a "tiny" would be anywhere around 3lbs and below. I'm going to add an extra category and say small would be 3-4lbs. I think average would be around 4-6lbs, and heavy is anywhere over 6. That's just my opinion and what I've seen with breeders that advertise "tiny, teacup, micro, etc..." Chis. Here when they advertise tinies, they usually say how big they're estimated to be as adults, even though it's really impossible for them to know so early.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I take LeStat anywhere everyone thinks he's 'tiny'....

Even pedigree chi breeders are astonished at how small he is. Mind you they also say he's a pedigree when I know he's not!
He now weighs between 2lbs 8ozs and 2lbs 15ozs but I've not managed to get him up to 3lbs yet and he's 2 years and 1 month old now.

He's not a pedigree and his mother is a tiny jrt.

Most chi's in the UK that I've seen, other than show types, have been around the 9-10lb mark, some a lot bigger and still considered very small, until this 'tiny chi cross' designer dog thing got over here.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Most people think Bambi is tiny, we get asked if she is a Teacup a lot. I would consider her an average size, she is 4 and a half pounds, but lean and muscular. A lot of pet Chi's are much bigger, I don't know any as small as our two.
Most show dogs are much smaller than Bambi, I would say around 3lbs. Genuine 'tinies' would be well under 3 lbs IMO, so LeStat and LS's Bella sized.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I consider tiny 3 lbs. and below.

My Eden (they'll be weighed at vet today) fluctuates between 3.2 and 3.6 and she seems tiny because she is built so daintily. Hope is just 3.8 but is much sturdier and muscular so does not looks as "fragile".

Ruby tops us out at 4.0 yet everyone always tells us how "tiny" the girls are in person, especially if they are a Facebook friend and then meet them.

We have a lot of overweight, sausage bodied Chis here and my girls are certainly tiny/lean by comparison. You will also see people reporting how "itty bitty" or "tiny" a dog is in a listing and then you read that she is just 3 pounds at 10 weeks. That is going to be an average to higher end of standard Chi but you are right-they will do anything for a buck. There are idiots here who will later sell or rehome a Chi because it got too big (and it is like 6-8 pounds). We meet people who have a 4 month old Chi who will assure me that they are full grown because that is what the breeder told them. Lot of scam artists.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with everyone. I think a 'tiny' would be 3 pounds and under. Small would be in the 3-4 pound category. Average would be 5-6. Large would be anything over 6 pounds. Having said that, MOST of the chi's I see around here are large or even giant (over 8 pounds). It's rare to see one of average chi size in this area. So when you do see one, or we are out with Brody, people stop and say how little he is. When he is really just very average (just a shade over 5 pounds at 4 years).

This is a different spin but there are MANY chi's who could very likely be in the average category but their parents overfeed and they are obese. A 5 pound frame does not do well carrying 10 pounds, but I see it all the time. The poor fat chi's waddling around and panting with exertion. Yet their owners are giving them treats every time they turn around. To me that is a real shame. And there is nobody to blame except the owners.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Most show breeders won't breed a female if she's not 4 lbs. ....greeders....well they might breed any size dog to make $.

Mona Lisa was sold as a pet originally because she was deemed too small to breed. She is 8 months old and just hit 2.9 lbs. (her breeder is letting me show her for the fun of it and she knows I'd never try to breed her). Her mother, Moma Mia is a hefty 5 lbs.

Males, on the other hand can be smaller.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have heard people say that they have a "teacup" chihuahua that is only going to be 5 pounds. I would guess that a "tiny" chi would be about 3 lbs or under.. Honestly, I couldn't imagine having a dog that small. My dogs are "giant" ;) Chis(6.5 and 8 lbs), and they are still
small to me!

·
Banned
177 Posts
I have heard people say that they have a "teacup" chihuahua that is only going to be 5 pounds. I would guess that a "tiny" chi would be about 3 lbs or under.. Honestly, I couldn't imagine having a dog that small. My dogs are "giant" ;) Chis(6.5 and 8 lbs), and they are still
small to me!
Love Penny & Lion!!!!

I personally dont think weight comes into it.. you can have 2 5lb dogs and they look totally different sizes.. you cannot eye weight unfortunately.

The 'pet' dogs ive seen locally are always very big and not very typey.. to the point i question if they are chihuahuas at all. My Parents have seen a few chis and always comment how they dont look anything like a chi should.

I have a 4lb 5oz bitch, 5lb bitch and 6lb bitch (whos on a diet should be 5.5) and a boy who will be lucky to make 4lb adult. My 4lb 5oz bitch is not that uch smaller than my 5lb bitch but they are totally different in bone density so look different.

But id say anything under 4lb is tiny.. and anything over 6.5lb is big i dont personally like anything under 4lb.. 5-6lb is ideal for me!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
This is a different spin but there are MANY chi's who could very likely be in the average category but their parents overfeed and they are obese. A 5 pound frame does not do well carrying 10 pounds, but I see it all the time. The poor fat chi's waddling around and panting with exertion. Yet their owners are giving them treats every time they turn around. To me that is a real shame. And there is nobody to blame except the owners.

Could not agree more!

It is extremely upsetting to see obese dogs, they have no say in the matter.
Dogs are active creatures, without exercise and balanced nutrition they do
not get to perform at their full potential, they do not get to live their lives to
the fullest. Not to mention the amount of health problems that obesity causes.

And Dee, I have the perfect examples of the two opposites, Bella is tiny at 2.1
lbs and Chanel is a giant at 8 lbs. I think an in-between size would be absolutely
ideal for a Chi. 8 lbs is still a small dog, although not up to the Chi standard, but
the 2 lbs is simply too fragile imo. What's sad is many dogs that size come with
a million health issues as well. Personally an ideal Chi in my mind is around 4-6 lbs.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby is just over 5 pounds, and he is definitely the perfect size!

In my mind:
A tiny Chi is anything up to 3 pounds.
A small Chi is anything up to 5 pounds.
An average Chi is 5-6 pounds.
A large Chi is anything over breed standard (>6 lbs)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I agree with the catagories, too. I have people come up to me and ask how old Twiggy is, thinking she is a puppy. When I tell them she's three, they practically accuse me of lying. Then I get the teacup thing. And they are always calling Pepe a teacup and he's 4 pounds, 7 oz. But we have thousands of chis here and I've seen maybe ten that are within the size recommendations. Most are a lot bigger.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Here too Pam, most Chis are large. Not just overweight, but taller and longer
than the standard. I blame the puppy mills, we are the puppy mill capital
unfortunately. Lots of BYBs too.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Here, too. I rarely see a Chi here that is standard. It took me forever to find a reputable breeder whose dams and sires were all within standard!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree that different dogs can be so different. Chloe is 3.4 pounds right now. She's not full grown, but she's old enough that she doesn't have that puppy look about her anymore. (to me at least) People think she's a tiny baby and are surprised to hear she's almost 5 months. She's built very thin though, so she comes across very little. We almost always get the teacup question any time we're out in public. My boyfriend and I joke about it and keep a tally of how many times we're asked. It just gets frustrating. I would agree with Ashley's idea of the categories though.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Love Penny & Lion!!!!

I personally dont think weight comes into it.. you can have 2 5lb dogs and they look totally different sizes.. you cannot eye weight unfortunately.

The 'pet' dogs ive seen locally are always very big and not very typey.. to the point i question if they are chihuahuas at all. My Parents have seen a few chis and always comment how they dont look anything like a chi should.

I have a 4lb 5oz bitch, 5lb bitch and 6lb bitch (whos on a diet should be 5.5) and a boy who will be lucky to make 4lb adult. My 4lb 5oz bitch is not that uch smaller than my 5lb bitch but they are totally different in bone density so look different.

But id say anything under 4lb is tiny.. and anything over 6.5lb is big i dont personally like anything under 4lb.. 5-6lb is ideal for me!!
That is very true... Penny is the heavier one, and she looks smaller than Lion! She is very stocky and long.

Most of the chihuahuas I see in my area are fairly large and non-standard. They look like the "Taco-Bell" dog. I can tell that most people don't really know what a chihuahua looks like, because people ask me all of the time what my dogs are! I know they aren't exactly to standard, but to me they are pretty close.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am one of the people who feel that weight does not tell you much at all, you can have a 3 pound Chihuahua that is deer headed, long and tall and looks quite large to the eye!
I think a true "tiny" is just that, visually very petite, you know it when you see it because trust me they are NOT that common (not where I live anyhow) there are a few dogs on this board that fit that description. One of my dogs measures 8 inches from neck to tail, look at that on a ruler and you'll see what I mean, that is tiny. Even a visually tiny dog can weight more than it looks! you just cannot tell these things always by pictures. I get asked if my dog is a teacup all the time, I just chuckle.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
People ask me if Holly is a teacup all the time. I say no just a Chi on the smaller side. She is 2lbs. She is very petite. Zoe on the other hand is larger. She weighs 10lbs but I am not sure if she is mixed or pure breed. Sometimes i think she is mixed with a dachshund. But for tiny I would say under 3lbs full grown.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I am one of the people who feel that weight does not tell you much at all, you can have a 3 pound Chihuahua that is deer headed, long and tall and looks quite large to the eye!
I think a true "tiny" is just that, visually very petite, you know it when you see it because trust me they are NOT that common (not where I live anyhow) there are a few dogs on this board that fit that description. One of my dogs measures 8 inches from neck to tail, look at that on a ruler and you'll see what I mean, that is tiny. Even a visually tiny dog can weight more than it looks! you just cannot tell these things always by pictures. I get asked if my dog is a teacup all the time, I just chuckle.
I was curious to see how long Twiggy was, I had never meaured her before, so I measured her. She's a bit of a wiggle worm, scared of everything, but nearest I could tell she's about 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 inches. long.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts