Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many things was written about it, and everybody say that it’s very important to socialize chis from the puppy stage, so they wont became aggressive.

I saw mean chi pupps even at age 7 -12 weeks old, so they need it for sure.

But my question is…
If chi puppy very friendly…come to people and dogs, wigging with toil and try to kiss everybody.
Should they be socialize as well (ask people to pet them, give treats and so on), or there is no necessary, because if the pupp friendly in 10 weeks old, he will remain that friendly, and no socialization needed.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
everestgirl said:
if the pupp friendly in 10 weeks old, he will remain that friendly, and no socialization needed.
That is not correct as I understand. You need to keep working with your pup to keep it socialized. It's an ongoing process. My sister got a little dog that was very nice when she got it and now it's the chihuahua from hell. It's bitten me and other visitors more than once.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
yes its an ongoing thing at 10 weeks they have no fear by about 4 months they are more wary of strangers and u need to keep introducing them to new people, animals and situations continually

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks
I will keep doing it.
I was told from some people that if she is friendly now with dogs and people, she will stay that way if she will not get a negative feedback from someone.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not true. She needs to continue to be socialized, so that she remains friendly and does not become timid or fearful of unfamiliar situations. Dogs can change a lot as they grow up from puppyhood to adulthood, and socialization is an ongoing process. It sounds like you are off to a good start though, and the fact that she has a good personality now definitely gives you something to work with.

Just as another example of what can happen as a result of not socializing though...I have a friend whose parents have 3 Miniature Pinschers. The parents owned all 3 dogs since they were puppies, and they started out as friendly tail wagging babies who would greet visitors and enjoyed attention. Now, however, as adults they have become the most vicious little dogs I have ever seen. I think a lot of it is fear aggression, and the fact that the owners haven't established a clear leadership, so the dogs are taking over that role. The owners did not make much effort to socialize their dogs, or to train them. The dogs actually attack anyone who visits, jumping and snarling and biting pant legs, and I think they've even bite for real sometimes. If they don't yet, I'm sure they will soon. They don't let people get more than a few feet inside of the door, and don't let anyone near "their" couch or "their" human, etc. I think you get the picture, and I'm sure part of it is that with three of them, they form a pack and more aggressive than one would probably be individually.

Anyway, just keep socializing, and I'm sure your dog will turn out great. You're obviously a much more responsible owner than my example.:-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts