Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom just got a German Shepard as a rescue. He is 11 months old. He is current on all of his shots. He is big, and Bella is scared to death of him. I'm not sure, but it may be because when she first met him, when he was laying down I let her down a little, with me still holding her, to sniff his paw, and he moved it and it kinda hurt her, because she yelped. Or it may be because he's so big compared to her. I have been watching him for the past couple hours at my house, and I finally let him get close to her. He sniffed and licked her butt while I held her. The whole time she kept drying to crawl up my shoulder/neck and was whining. Should I keep them away from each other like she wants? Or should I try to get her to warm up to him?

·
Registered
150 Posts
more then likely its a size issue, and generally changes in dog make ups in a house can take as long as 3-4 months for the dogs to get comfortable. give it some time, and surpervise interactions, since the GSD is a puppy, i'm not sure what dog manners he has :) I wouldn't force it but if you wanted to treat the Chi when she is by the GSD and not freaking out that would work too. i dunno just thoughts :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
All dogs no matter what need proper introuduction anyway.

May be if you have any play pen, try to put the littlen in there and let the big dog sniff around the pen. At the same time, puppy should be safe without being hurt? Think if you are a puppy (or even a child), if your Mum is there, you just don't want to know anything outside in the world. I understand you need to do some sort of protection because of the size difference. But you are not far away and can do any stop if you see / sense anything happens. As long as you don't leave them together until you are confident enough.

It will take time to get them get used to each other. It took my big dogs to accept my little puppy a couple of days before she was okay to feel being licked. At night mine is still going back in the crate just in case. (No I ain't one of those Mum let the dogs sleep in the bedroom as I have a house rabbit and cats running around freely too.)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
No I ain't one of those Mum let the dogs sleep in the bedroom as I have a house rabbit and cats running around freely too
Sorry I have nothing to add to the thread, just wanted to say that I have a house rabbit to! :hello1:

What sort is your bunny? I have 8 rabbits in total but the others live outside in groups in a shed. My house bunny, Archie, I rescued last weekend. His previous owner handed him back to the breeder as he is 'aggressive' but honestly he doesn't have an evil bone in his body! Archie is a red mantle dwarf lop, with a touch of harlequin (few black specks and a dark nose) :D

Sorry for hijacking! x

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I only let Zoey/Ziva interact with my golden retriever on limited occasion and always supervised, she is just too big & clumsy otherwise. My standard poodle was MUCH better with the little dogs. Shellie is too rambunctious and scares the crap out of them. I think I would let the chi decide as you don't want to keep 'pushing' the big dog on her it may make her more fearful.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but it's easier to reply here. :D

Sorry I have nothing to add to the thread, just wanted to say that I have a house rabbit to! :hello1:

What sort is your bunny? I have 8 rabbits in total but the others live outside in groups in a shed. My house bunny, Archie, I rescued last weekend. His previous owner handed him back to the breeder as he is 'aggressive' but honestly he doesn't have an evil bone in his body! Archie is a red mantle dwarf lop, with a touch of harlequin (few black specks and a dark nose) :D

Sorry for hijacking! x
I have 2 rabbits atm, both are rescues. Pretzel is a male neutered French Lop who is the boss (atm, he is trying to be the boss when my Chi pup barks at him, so will see who will be the boss soon) and he takes up almost half of the bed if he decided to sleep on the bed. (minus hubby and other furry family members) The other one is a mini lop cross girl, also being done. I think she must have crossed with some sort of dwarf as she has airoplane ears now and again but most of the time just flop back down where they should be. I "accidentally" checked out the rescue centre today (well I need to have my car clean as one of my cats poo'd in the carrier when I took him to the vet for booster this morning and that really smells, so I just made an excuse to have my car valeting while I got a chance to go and check out the rescues), big mistake as I set my eyes on one of the Continental Giants. So I will go back and hopefully I can adopt that one next week. :p

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
One of Honey's playmates is a lab, she lives next door, she will be meeting Izzy within a few days of Izzy coming home. (5 sleeps) :)
What I plan on doing is putting izzy in a pen in our front yard and letting Jamie (the lab) meet her through the pen at 1st. When i feel its all ok I will let Izzy out with Jamie and I will supervise, this could take a few days or may happen immediately. Either way she will have to get used to her and her size as Jamie is a regular visitor at our home!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts