Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old female chi named Honey. We got her from my sister in law who has her mother and sister. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. We also have a 5 year old poodle mix and they get along very well. We're crate training Honey and walking her outside on a leash. We are not using puppy pads. She's doing fairly well on house breaking. She stays all night in her crate and we take out and she goes. She just started doing something strange. I carry her out and out her down and she'll pee but if a car drives by and she gets startled she won't poop. She just pulls us towards the house. Yesterday I tried to keep walking her and finally gave up. As soon as we walked inside she pooped in front of the door. Today she started to freak and pull but I just kept walking her until she finally went outside. I told her what a good girl she is and made a big party for her.

Honey is great with all of the people that live and work around our home but she's not crazy about strangers and barks at all my son's friends. She won't let anyone she doesn't know hold her and she doesn't even want them to pet her. I've been reading here about letting strangers treat her and I'm going to try and see how that works.

We take her out in the car with us and we walk her outside all the time. I just want to do the best I can to socialize her and make her not a scardy cat. Her mother barks but doesn't bite or cower and goes to everyone. I'd like to get Honey to that point. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Have you tried just standing outside your door for 5 mins ,go back inside then increase the time ,then walk a little ,go back indoors and increase this,so gradually she goes a little further each time,worth a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your suggestion. She does go out with no problem but gets startled easier. This morning she was really bothered by a coupled that were running by on the other side of the street. Once she gets startled all she wants to do is head back to the house. I just kept walked her and I guess she got over it because she did finally do her business.

We have house guests and for the first couple of days she would bark at them, particularly their young son. It took her a few days but yesterday she was letting the adults hold her and tolerating their son. I guess it's just a matter of exposing her to lots of people and places.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
One of the ways to better socialize Honey is to have her associate good things (treats) with those people or sounds or places that stress her. It's not a short process, but it can work very, very well to de-sensitize a dog to stressors.

Its a kind of conditioning that's often used for fearful dogs, by pairing "scary thing" with food. After enough associations of "Oh look there's that scary thing here have some hot dog" the dog starts looking at the scary thing as "Hey there's that cool thing where's my hot dog?" You can actually take the positive feelings the dog gets by eating and transfer them back to the scary thing, making the scary thing no longer scary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts