Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SO proud of my little man. :love7:
I just have to brag because socialization has been such a big issue with me since he was a puppy. A few weeks after I started socializing him I fell and broke my hand so it was really difficult to take him anywhere for a while. My boyfriend helped me so we did make some progress but we never got to meet our goal of 100 new people.

Recently my old boss called me back in to work. The store sells all-natural/eco-friendly pet products and food so I'm able to bring Teddy in to work with me for 3-6 hours, depending on how long they need me that day.

He's always been a fairly shy dog. He'll bark at strangers and sometimes try to go after dogs he hasn't met. He looks and sounds really aggressive at times (only towards dogs) but has never, ever bitten anyone or anything. But since I've been taking him in to work, his reactions are MUCH more pleasant! He meets probably 20 new people a day who stop to pet him or talk to him while picking things out for their own dogs, and maybe 1-3 dogs.

If he barks, I put him in our office and close the door until he stops barking. When I let him out again he knows he has to be quiet in order to stay with me. Now he will lay down on the floor and happily chew a toy without even minding the new people coming in to the store. He actually approaches most people and asks for pets. :D He's still pretty reactive to new dogs (at first), but after a few minutes of huffing and puffing he will tolerate them and follow them around the store. The really little dogs he'll play with!

Here are a few pictures!

He was helping me unload a few boxes..

Very disinterested in picture-taking. Would rather have pets.

He guilted me into buying him a new toy. :p

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Go Teddy!! jobs that let you bring your dog to work are the BEST.

I don't know if it's an option for you but I had two dog reactive chis (well I have, they are my pet babies!), and I found that dropping them off at puppy day care for 1/2 days once a week made all the difference. It's exposure I couldn't really just give to them, but they are 100x better with dogs now.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have always wished I could work in a pet store where I could bring my dogs. It would be perfect for socializing!

I like Kristi's suggestion of taking him to daycare.. I am thinking of doing that w/ my dogs, but it is just soo expensive. Also it is hard to find one that separates large/small dogs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There is a place in town called "Sweet Paws Bakery" where the girl who runs the shop also runs a doggie daycare for dogs under 30 lbs. The problem is that if you drop your dog off it has to be in the morning and for the entire day. :( I think it's $15 per day and by reservation only. (Actually, I think it's more expensive than that but I can't remember.) I've considered it but I'm not sure..

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Way to go Teddy! I always knew you were a good boy! :) And a handsome one too!
Keep making mama proud, and you'll keep getting little piggies & cuddles!

ps: Kaila, how are you feeling lately? I was worried about your recovery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts