Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is important to me to have a very socialized dog. My breeder has already begun socializing Bosco because she runs a day-care so he is around other pets and children... Anyway!

I read on http://cabokennels.savei.net/custom.html that "the period in which puppies can best be socialized and begin their training is in the period of 5 weeks to 12 weeks of age."

But from what I understood prior to reading that is you should avoid letting your puppy go outside, meet other pets, etc. until they get their last shots at 12 weeks.

Which way did your raise your pup? Did you socialize it immediately or wait till the last shots?

·
Registered
45 Posts
:wav: :wav:

:wave: i wait till 12 weeks if you take your pup into places like pet co if they look really young they will ask you what age your pup is because they have strict rules as to puppy's being on the floor and socializing.
i had a pup that got the parvo virus this is one of the most threatening to dogs not the actual virus its self but the virus causes dogs especially pups to get dehydrated and this is what kills the dog. the parvo virus can stay active for 5 years before it dies without a body sooooo like a new born baby you wouldn't let around sickness the same with a puppy....though this is my own opinion i have derived it from my own experience and the vet and books however for chihuahua they are very scidish animals they have a tendency to shy away or bark alot (Territorial) though i recommend to have them around people at a young age so they see humans are o.k but not animals not until they have there shots.
p.s you can see our newest babies pictures in pup ann.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
basically I did the same aswell buit I used to take him round to family an friends houses but I just used to carry him everywhere, I was really careful I didnt even let him into the garden until he had his last shots as they can pick parvo up from anywhere :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would it be OK to take an 8 week old pup to a house with no pets and let him run around their house? Also, would it be OK to take an 8 week old to a house with a pet whom you KNOW is healthy (just went to the vet's for shots and a check up)? Sorry for all the questions! :oops: Just want to make sure my pup stays healthy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
pups

That sounds fine to me too, i really just think you should be cautious, ya know because parvo stays for 5 years without a carrier .it could have been the people in the house before, old pets, pets passing by the front yard. i mean you'll drive your self nuts with if's. the only thing I'm saying is be careful and again this is only until they have there parvo shots, along with the rest. once they have completed there puppy shots at or around 10 weeks then you'll still worry just not about parvo and such, anyway sounds like your a wonderful mom. just be careful and consider everything dangerous to your little pup. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts