Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey...
just wanted to say thanks to you all for your great advise last time.
i took my puppy to the vet.... and she is perfectly fine now.
but...being a new mommy...
i have another question.
my puppy is about 10 weeks old,
and seems to be VERY shy around new people...
i have to practically pry her out of my lap.
she has had her 2nd set of shots....
but i was wondering if it is too soon to take her places to play with other people.... kids.... and animals. i dont want her to be shy forever.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
When the vet gives you the okay to bring her out in public try taking her to PetCo or any other store that allows dogs.
You can also take her to the local store and just sit outside it and let her watch all the people go in and out.

Another great way to socialize is to go to puppy classes. If the instructor doesnt already have a segment of class dedicated to socialization you can always ask for them to add it in...basically you play "pass the puppy" and this gets them use to being with other people while getting treats and lots of love at the same time.

My girls are slightly shy, but they are very good compaired to some toy breeds I have seen. I took them all the way through advance obedience classes, mostly for the socialization.

Also bring your pup to family and friends homes, who ever you trust. and let your chi explore new surroundigs and new people.

As long as you start young and stay consistant and keep the social experiences positive you should have a well adjusted chi :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It is ok for you to start socializing her with people.. but not with other animals... I have had Gadget since he was 3 weeks old(I know way to young). I have taken him every where with me until he got to be about 5 months old.. I still take him almost everywhere with me..

In fact I just had him in Craft Wearhouse, Joann fabrics, Michaels, A feed store, the Dollar tree, A hair salon (I had to show him to my cousin), Miller Paints and Sherman Williams Paint stores... Everybody loves it when I take him into stores...

He loves people.. I can take him any where they are people and he loves it... He especially likes gas stations they give doggie bones... Even though he doesn't eat them.. he like to lick them and sniff them.. then they start piling up in his careseat so I have to throw them away...

He is well, socialized...

His mom and dad bark at everybody going by... and every little noise.. Gadget only barks when there are weird noises that aren't suppose to be happening, and when Daddy comes home or when he sees somebody he likes that vcomes over then he will do his take to me bark and wag his tail so hard it looks like he might fly away...

good luck and God bless...

enjoy your furbaby...

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm no expert on socializing exactly but from personal experience I say start socializing with people as early as possible. It makes a world of difference. When Angel was born, she was immediately introduced to many people including adults and children. My friend (the breeder) knew we had children so she did her best to make Angel as comfortable around them as possible.

Angel came to us at an early age too (5 wks) and I have been taking her out whenever I can since then. She loves people. She will cry to be let loose to play with children and is totally trustworthy around them. (It's the kids I have to worry about. LOL). With adults, Angel does whatever she can to get attention these days. She will get shy when approached but if the person talks to her first, she is a happy camper. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree - as soon as she has had all her shots, take her with you whenever you can. Like Gadget's mom, I take Jasmine with me everywhere it is possible to take her. Tried to get her in Walmart, but that didn't fly. LOL But I have taken her to our local mall here, to Joann Fabrics, the book store, the YMCA. She loves it and is very good with children. I also take her to my daughter's frequently. They have a lot of cookouts and pool parties, and sometimes have as many as 20 or more people there, and she is the life of the party. She has yet to meet anyone that she doesn't like. Sometimes it takes her a few minutes to warm up to someone, but if they give her a treat and rub her belly, that's all it takes. :lol:

Puppy classes are also an excellent idea. The more you can socialize her, the better.

Good luck - am so happy to hear your baby is doing well now.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
So glad your baby si doing fine...did he say what it was? Is she eating alright now?

I socialized Gizmo as soon as I got him...he is good with people...kinda shy at first (just recently) but he warms up fast....

I take him and took him everywhere I could...I'm trying to find a nice bag that he can fit in and not pop his head out cuz he wants to jump out of his sling now...LOL...one that I can put my wallet in....

anyway...people are ok but keep away from animals until all shots t done and vet says it's ok :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts