Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miya is 9 weeks this Friday. She just had her first set of shots last Tuesday. While I'm not comfortable letting her walk around outside or pet stores, I do want to begin socializing her. The neighbor's dogs came over and she did fine, she is around our cat 24/7 and is fine with him..so today we decided to take her to the petstore. in the car, she was pretty nervous, shaking..by them time we got to the petstore, she had calmed down, but I didn't want to rush her so I didn't take her into the store. She stayed in the car with my husband. Any tips or ideas on how to better socialize her, when she trembles like that, it makes me feel guilty but I know it needs to be done so she is friendly and happy around other people and pets

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have only had my Penny for 2 weeks but I have noticed she gets nervous and shakes the first time we do something or go somewhere new so I try to make a point to do the same thing a short time later and she seems fine with it the second time around. The first time I took her to my moms she trembled and whined the whole time. I took her back the next day and she acted like she owned the place. Did the same thing at the pet store.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
When I got Taz I made the first few trips out really short. First a trip around the block and then a little treat. Next a trip to Tractor Supply and just a quick walk around inside the store. Just keep gradually adding on to what you do with her. We have several stores here that will give her a treat and make a big fuss over her. She still trembles sometimes but now I think it's from excitement. It's great that you are starting early.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just put him into new situations daily, pet stores, rides, parks, friends....He use to shake with any situation, but he has calmed down. I can tell he is still nervous, but I felt I should force him into situations otherwise if up to him, he wouldn't want to exp anything new.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Just keep taking her out, little and often is best.
Make sure you have some tasty treats and then reward her when she is calm around new places, loud noises, strangers, etc. If she is very nervous and shaky you could also let her smell a treat in your hand but not give it til she has forgotten what she was nervous about and is calmer.
At least that is what I did with mine.;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think do every thing slowly and make every new trip out very secure for her talking softly helps and it seems they understand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts